Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 PM

8 posts, read 16,265 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I'll be in Seattle Wednesday night through Sunday morning. I'm considering moving to the area, and was thinking about sights to see during my visit. I can probably afford to pay up to $2K/mo in rent comfortably, but would like to live significantly cheaper (but still safely).

Help me add to or remove from the list?

The to-do list so far:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Visit International District
2. Check out Space Needle
3. Underground Tour Moderator cut: website removed
4. Assuming Thursday goes well, maybe check out different neighborhoods where I might be interested in living
4a. Lake Union area? (on a boat?)
4b. Capitol Hill?
4c. Someplace where I wont need to own a car to get to the Denny Triangle area everyday (zipcar, public transport would probably work for me)?
4d. International District?
5. Enjoy nightlife (any specific locations?)
6. Pike St. Market

The schedule:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wed Night: Busy
Thu Day: Busy
Thu Evening: 5
Friday Day: 2,Lunch with friend,1,6
Friday Evening: 5
Sat Day: 3,4d,4a,4b
Sat Evening: 5

About me:
Early 30s, male, single, no kids, frugal, teetotaller, engineer, into recreational sports, board games, etc., will be looking to meet nice people of a variety of backgrounds. Will be traveling by public transportation this week.

Last edited by Count David; 03-05-2012 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: sorry, new members are not allowed to post websites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 PM

541 posts, read 1,731,555 times
1. Visit International District : If you like international foods and Asian cuisine, check it out. It is not a touristy area by any means, but you will certainly get enveloped in the culture of the area. Check out the Uwajimaya (Asian grocery store, food court, and bookstore with many unique products and sights) and area around it. Also near the historic King Street Station and Pioneer Square. Many good museums and many free ones there too. A Pioneer museum, police museum and fire department museum might peak your interests.

2. Check out Space Needle : Definitely. Food at the top is expensive, but walking around the Space Needle and Seattle Center is fun enough as it is. The Science Center is fun if you just want to waste some time, or see an IMAX 3D movie.

3. Underground Tour Moderator cut : Some people like it, some don't. It's just building underground, which can be seen anyways if you walk around Pioneer Square. Some businesses and malls are underneath the sidewalks, which is real interesting, and something a lot don't realize still. Worth just exploring. It's up to you and your wallet.

4. Assuming Thursday goes well, maybe check out different neighborhoods where I might be interested in living
4a. Lake Union area? (on a boat?) : Ride "The Duck." Truck on the road that also goes in the water and tours around Lake Union! Completely unique to Seattle.

4b. Capitol Hill? : Meh.... kinda trashy if you ask me. Some nice stately homes in places, but the main places people shop and walk around is ratty trashy and seems unsafe. Check out Volunteer Park for some cool views of Seattle and Bellevue from the top of the waterpower and maybe the SAM museum if you got time and are interested in Asian history.
4d. International District? : Personally, I wouldn't live there.

5. Enjoy nightlife (any specific locations?) : I wouldn't be good at this advice, so I will let other answer.

6. Pike St. Market : Yes, do it. Unique, flying fish, fresh local goods, lots of quirky shops. Win, win.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Just a side point: Ducks are not completely unique to Seattle. San Francisco and other cities have them:San Francisco duck tours | Ride The Ducks San Francisco

Old 03-06-2012, 07:20 AM

Smile Thanks.

Thanks for the awesome suggestions and tips. The Duck sounds neat. I'm into Asian cuisine, so I was definitely planning to check out the ID. And, I had read about Uwajimaya -- will check it out.

If things progress positively, I'll look through the threads some more, and I might follow up for guidance that I haven't found yet about the 'availability' of Zipcars, some specific questions about renting a boat to live on (maintenance, winters, Internet access, hidden costs, parking), and maybe some other specific questions as I come across them.

Thanks again for the info.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 AM

353 posts, read 934,843 times
I would add a ferry ride to your list.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:53 AM

Will try to do that too. Any suggestions as to which ferry?

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Seattle-Bainbridge is a good and here is the ferry schedule to see others:WSDOT - Ferries

Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 AM

Sweet. I like that the ORCA card would work on the ferries. I'll look for things to do on Bainbridge, or at any of the other ferry destinations.

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM

456 posts, read 775,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post
1. Visit International District : If you like international foods and Asian cuisine, check it out. It is not a touristy area by any means, but you will certainly get enveloped in the culture of the area. Check out the Uwajimaya (Asian grocery store, food court, and bookstore with many unique products and sights) and area around it. Also near the historic King Street Station and Pioneer Square. Many good museums and many free ones there too. A Pioneer museum, police museum and fire department museum might peak your interests.

2. Check out Space Needle : Definitely. Food at the top is expensive, but walking around the Space Needle and Seattle Center is fun enough as it is. The Science Center is fun if you just want to waste some time, or see an IMAX 3D movie.

3. Underground Tour Moderator cut : Some people like it, some don't. It's just building underground, which can be seen anyways if you walk around Pioneer Square. Some businesses and malls are underneath the sidewalks, which is real interesting, and something a lot don't realize still. Worth just exploring. It's up to you and your wallet.

4a. Lake Union area? (on a boat?) : Ride "The Duck." Truck on the road that also goes in the water and tours around Lake Union! Completely unique to Seattle.

4b. Capitol Hill? : Meh.... kinda trashy if you ask me. Some nice stately homes in places, but the main places people shop and walk around is ratty trashy and seems unsafe. Check out Volunteer Park for some cool views of Seattle and Bellevue from the top of the waterpower and maybe the SAM museum if you got time and are interested in Asian history.
4d. International District? : Personally, I wouldn't live there.

5. Enjoy nightlife (any specific locations?) : I wouldn't be good at this advice, so I will let other answer.

6. Pike St. Market : Yes, do it. Unique, flying fish, fresh local goods, lots of quirky shops. Win, win.

Capitol hill (Pike/Pine Corridor in particular) has one of the best restaurant clusters in town. I'd go there for dinner and stroll around a little before myself. I'd also recommend stopping by the new Elliot Bay bookstore if you do go.

Ben

Old 03-11-2012, 09:07 PM

Thanks for all the awesome tips. I had a really great time in Seattle. I did a ridiculous amount of walking around downtown and Lake Union. I rode the duck as suggested -- Capt. Phlip Dover is hilarious. I ended up doing the Underground tour, which gave me some pretty interesting info about the city's history. Fire? Uff da. (Did I say it right?) Pike Market was neat -- Long line at Starbucks, so I didn't go in to use the facilities as I had planned. A seaplane flew in right over our Duck, while we were on Lake Union. Great scenery.

I was by myself, and the reason I was there, Thursday, went really well, so I decided not to spend $20 to see the view from the space needle. I have a good feeling that I'll have future opportunities to check it out w/ friends. Nice view from Aurora bridge. I didn't have time to do a ferry ride, as I got to spend more time w/ a friend than I was initially planning.

I went down to the ID, and ate at the Uwajimaya deli. Lotsa food. Luckily I walked most of the way back to my hotel. No refills on soda. I also had gumbo at the Steelhead Diner where they have Jones cola (made from sugar), and checked out the gum wall.

I really enjoyed the experience. Great people. I was amazed by the way cars stopped _before_ the crosswalk. Solar powered trash compactors. Pleasant drizzles. I can't wait to go back.

It was everything I imagined it would be. Expensive compared to where I currently live. I'd need to find ways to not spend money. Thanks again! Thank you, Seattle!

Man, I really wanna live cheaply on a boat on Lake Union, if possible and not too high-maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area