Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 03:27 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,647 times

Advertisements

thoughts

Old 12-20-2011, 03:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
The bags are convenient but a hazard. Other places have already banned them. It's a small adjustment to keep it beautiful here.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:29 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,499 times
Yet another reason to add to the pile of why I will never live within the city limits. Absurd nanny state nonsense.

Didn't the voters shoot this down in 2009? I believe they did. Which means that Seattle's out of control politicians have, once again, rammed something in against the will of the people. The extreme lefties will be thrilled with it - but then again, they're thrilled with anything that has the government forcing others to live like they do.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Yet another reason to add to the pile of why I will never live within the city limits. Absurd nanny state nonsense.

Didn't the voters shoot this down in 2009? I believe they did. Which means that Seattle's out of control politicians have, once again, rammed something in against the will of the people. The extreme lefties will be thrilled with it - but then again, they're thrilled with anything that has the government forcing others to live like they do.
Spoken like a right winger (who has also bragged that he's here for the money only and plans to return to his native country once he's made enough). That aside, I am proud that liberals protect the West Coast and appreciate it for the diamond that it is. Let's compare it to the South, where the coast line could not be more unattractive. Have you ever seen Biloxi? If Texas were in charge of the Puget Sound, it would be ruined. They would not care at all (and they let the trash just blow around). It's true for the entire West Coast.

Compare the geographic beauty and the industries that beauty attracts on the West Coast. Whether it is artistic or intellectual, preserving the environment pays off in real dollars by the people it attracts and the companies who want to hire those type of people. The topic was plastic bags which do not decompose and in huge, unending quantities, cause damage. But if you want to make it a larger discussion, I will gladly defend Seattle's (and the Eastside's) desire to preserve the beauty and wildlife we are very lucky to have and the real dollar value it brings by protecting it.

We are not like other places and there are plenty of those other places where you can trash the place and no one will care. Proactively wanting to prevent plastic that will never go away from taking over is not a bad thing if there are alternatives. Recycling takes effort too (cue the nanny state cry) but it's a better way.

For people that don't care about the beauty of this area, there are other places to choose and that's a good thing.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:17 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,382,052 times
I read an article a while back about those reusable green bags that you buy, its made of cotton or whatever. it finds that they have tons of bacteria in them because people use it over and over, and they dont wash it. so, if people washed it every time they used it, they use water and electricity from the machines, and also laundry detergent, wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:34 PM

So...your argument is to let the plastic accumulate x times infinity vs. an extra piece of laundry in a wash you were already doing?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:44 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,382,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So...your argument is to let the plastic accumulate x times infinity vs. an extra piece of laundry in a wash you were already doing?

What's in your shopping bag? Bacteria. (But, hey, it's natural!) | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

I can see some people sue safeway or qfc for bacteria in their reusable bags because someone in their family gets sick.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:51 PM

So wash your grocery bag in the laundry you're already doing. You don't stop buying socks because of the laundry and they aren't self-cleaning either.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:28 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,778,682 times
I don't think the Pacific garbage patch is nearly big enough. I will insist on using plastic bags and throwing plastic caps out the window of my car until every last albatross is dead.

Charles Moore: Sailing the Great Pacific Garbage Patch - YouTube

Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

The plastic bag ban adds to my list of reasons why I am thinking about moving from the far eastside back to Seattle proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area