Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,897 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and am having a problem that is driving me nuts! I don't know what else to do so I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone has had a similar experience.

I moved to Seattle in 07, from North Carolina. I was totally healthy there, nothing bothered me. When I moved to Seattle, I enjoyed great health too... no problems.

About a year after I moved, though, I began to develop a sort of cough. It was like clearing your throat because you constantly feel like there's phlem caught up there. That started in late 09, early 10, and I've had it ever since. I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of it. I've been to countless doctors and taken every medicine I can think of. I've even gone through sinus surgery to try and get rid of it. Nothing helps.

Then I recalled a post I read on this forum before I moved here. The gist of it was that a family was leaving Seattle because they had some very similar health issues.

I wanted to know if anyone has had similar symptoms, or knew someone who did. If so, did they cure it and what did they do to cure it! I feel like I'm going crazy from it and I KNOW it bothers my coworkers and fiancee.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 12:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I have been here 18 years now from the SF bay area and we have had tbe opposite result. Far less illness with much less smog. Exactly where are you, and what might have changed over the first year? My best guess is mold in the home from a bathroom issue or perhaps leak that's not visible. Even sitting water under the house can do this, and we do have rain 9-10 months as you know. You could try staying with a friend or at a hotel a few days and see if it improves to test the theory.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,897 times
Hi Hemlock,

You know, when I first moved here I was totally fine. I worked in Bothell and my apartment was pretty good. It wasn't on the ground floor and while it felt damp, it never felt "moldy". Unfortunately I had to move to Edmonds after I lost my job and stayed there for about six months. That apartment was very cold, very moldy and generally a poor apartment. I moved in with my fiancee about 2 years ago and we live in the UDistrict. The neighborhood is really nice and I don't really think her house is moldy or has poor ventilation.

I dunno... I can't quite pinpoint what's going on, but it's always like I have phlem in my throat. Very irritating.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:18 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyoung_79 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and am having a problem that is driving me nuts! I don't know what else to do so I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone has had a similar experience.

I moved to Seattle in 07, from North Carolina. I was totally healthy there, nothing bothered me. When I moved to Seattle, I enjoyed great health too... no problems.

About a year after I moved, though, I began to develop a sort of cough. It was like clearing your throat because you constantly feel like there's phlem caught up there. That started in late 09, early 10, and I've had it ever since. I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of it. I've been to countless doctors and taken every medicine I can think of. I've even gone through sinus surgery to try and get rid of it. Nothing helps.

Then I recalled a post I read on this forum before I moved here. The gist of it was that a family was leaving Seattle because they had some very similar health issues.

I wanted to know if anyone has had similar symptoms, or knew someone who did. If so, did they cure it and what did they do to cure it! I feel like I'm going crazy from it and I KNOW it bothers my coworkers and fiancee.

Thanks.
Join the club. I wish I could help you but I have this problem myself and I'm a native here.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:48 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,885,729 times
same here ... i think it's some allergic reaction to something

Old 10-19-2011, 10:20 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyoung_79 View Post
Hi Hemlock,

You know, when I first moved here I was totally fine. I worked in Bothell and my apartment was pretty good. It wasn't on the ground floor and while it felt damp, it never felt "moldy". Unfortunately I had to move to Edmonds after I lost my job and stayed there for about six months. That apartment was very cold, very moldy and generally a poor apartment. I moved in with my fiancee about 2 years ago and we live in the UDistrict. The neighborhood is really nice and I don't really think her house is moldy or has poor ventilation.

I dunno... I can't quite pinpoint what's going on, but it's always like I have phlem in my throat. Very irritating.
It's probably the mold, which may not be in your apartment. Molds give off spores which can travel quite a long distance. I guess HEPA air filtering would be about the best solution, other than jumping with bleach on any mold that shows. A physician might prescribe Advair or something to help tame the symptoms.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:28 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
This is the wrong forum for asking medical advice. The best one is to see your doctor.

I have been totally healthy since I moved here. Superior food combined with a more active lifestyle, more mature physiology, and less of the stuff that made me sick before (WILD temperature swings during the seasons, damning coldness, bewildering hotness, ragweed, pollen, etc) means that I'm in the best shape and mood that I've ever had in my life.

I guess I'm not as allergic to mold. I would suspect that could be one reason. Its especially damaging out here because a lot of houses are built with wood and less metal and brick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area