Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 08:53 PM

653 posts, read 1,790,667 times

Advertisements

I'm strongly contemplating a trip out to the Seattle area the end of October to first week of November. I've noticed through some photos of the PACNW that your peak time for color is during the time I may want to come out. Is this the average time for peak fall foliage viewing? What are some of the nicer (and safer) parks to photograph in? Also, what areas would you recommend where I can go that would be the most scenic for seeing the peak colors? How is it outside the Seattle area such as Olympia, Everett and Port Townsend? Thanks in advance for the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,529,753 times
I would try the Washington Park Arboretum near Madison Park, after that the best color is the vine maples in the mountains, which requires a trip on the North Cascades Highway, or 101 on the Olympic Penninsula, between Port Angeles and Forks. The time of year and length of time varies greatly depending on the weather, however your timing would not be good. The really colorful trees are already turning, only the big leaf maples (fairly plain yellow) are still green. By the end of October they are falling off or gone.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:10 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,138,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
I'm strongly contemplating a trip out to the Seattle area the end of October to first week of November. I've noticed through some photos of the PACNW that your peak time for color is during the time I may want to come out. Is this the average time for peak fall foliage viewing? What are some of the nicer (and safer) parks to photograph in? Also, what areas would you recommend where I can go that would be the most scenic for seeing the peak colors? How is it outside the Seattle area such as Olympia, Everett and Port Townsend? Thanks in advance for the responses.
To begin with, don't ever expect to see the glorious fall colors that you will see in the New England states and upstate New York. I was a participant in a Trade Show in New York City in Madison Sq Gardens. It was Fall. The lady in the booth next to me told me to catch a train at Pen. Station and head to upstate New York, and I would see colors I would not believe. She was right. If you want to see Fall colors you will have to go East of the Cascade Mts. You can start in Ellensburg and fallow the old highway to Yakima along the Yakima River. The problem is, to get good fall color the air has to be cold and brisk. This is what New England has and this is what the Kititas and Yakima Valley has. West side of the Cascades doesn't have it. You may get some fall color along Lake Washington Blvd. and there are some Sycamore trees that come out in color on top of Queen Anne. Infact, I've got some Sweet Gum trees in front of my house along the parking strip and my neighbor has two Sycamore trees in front of his house. You can come and look at our colors, -that is, if Seattle ever gets some cold brisk weather instead of the constent drippy, drip clouds, fog and rain with marmy luke warm piddly soggy nights and days.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:14 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,852,424 times
Washington has some gorgeous, scenic drives within easy reach of Seattle that offer a lot of high-elevation fall color - consider highway 2 towards Leavenworth, for example. But the typical peak would be mid-October, not the end of the month.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,529,753 times
Fall Color Viewing Locations - WNW

Old 09-24-2011, 08:43 AM

653 posts, read 1,790,667 times
Hemlock140: Thanks for that great link, this will be something to consider if I come out.

Vinylly: That's interesting that you have sweet gum and sycamore trees that far north. I have actually seen pictures of what looks like sabal palm trees in the Seattle area. I'm amazed of the variety of trees you have there!

I'm very well aware of the foliage in New England. I'm originally from Connecticut. I was planning a trip to Maine (another place I adore and may contemplate relocating to someday or at least visit more often), but a million other people have the same idea so available accommodations were few and far between. I'm hoping next year I can get there. The PACNW has been close to my heart so even though I know fall color is not that spectacular, it still beats what we have here in Oklahoma, especially after this crippling drought that we have experienced this year. Any more ideas would be appreciated but I think I have enough to go on. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area