Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,157 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Seattle area. Job will be in Kent but I am having a hard time deciding where to live. We are a couple with two young children. The commute and good schools are important. Most people would say Maple Valley but it is just to out there, I would prefer to be closer to Seattle. Looking to spend $500,000 on a home, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 06:16 AM

620 posts, read 1,306,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirlgirl View Post
We will be relocating to the Seattle area. Job will be in Kent but I am having a hard time deciding where to live. We are a couple with two young children. The commute and good schools are important. Most people would say Maple Valley but it is just to out there, I would prefer to be closer to Seattle. Looking to spend $500,000 on a home, any suggestions?
So, are you in the area now? Have you been to Maple Valley or are you just basing your opinion of distance based on Mapquest? Because the one thing I learned when I moved to Seattle was that what appears to be a great distance on Mapquest/Google Maps is actually not a very long drive, at all.

I would recommend looking into Covington which is about a 15 minute drive from Kent. There are nice pockets in Des Moines (closer to downtown and the water, I believe). Des Moines and Kent are separated basically by I-5 although a portion of Kent does stretch over to 99 but you should definitely stay away from this area. I think you will probably need to share more info about the type of culture you want your neighborhood/suburb to be as I think Renton would also be a good place, but I believe that the Burien area and south Seattle are on the up and up. Everyone says that they want to be in a place with good schools, but what does that really mean?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:10 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,227,999 times
Live in Alki.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,463,405 times
A few ideas:
1. West Seattle, particularly around Fauntleroy. It's pretty, it's part of the city of Seattle and not all that far from downtown. Not too far from " The Junction" which is lively and fun, and just south enough to make the commute to Kent not too painful. School are good there, but it's still in the not very good Seattle school district.

2. Parts of Renton or Newcastle. Closer to Seattle than Maple Valley. Some of Renton is in the very good Issaquah school district, and the parts of Renton that border Newcastle have better schools than most of the rest of Renton. Some Renton addresses are in the Tahoma (maple Valley) school district, just a little closer in, and parts of Renton are in the Kent district, but those schools are better than most of the schools within Kent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area