Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 01:31 PM

42 posts, read 72,298 times

Advertisements

I have read some threads on the board but I have my own set of unique issues... Sorry if this is long!

We will be moving to the Seattle area end of September first part of October for my husband work. He will be working on a contract for PGE and so anywhere they have electric service he will eventually work there. At times his work could be 2-3 hours from Seattle. However we have decided to try and find a place within 45minutes from Seattle as I want to experience Seattle I zoomed in on North Bend because it looks like a great spot with access to the Interstate and close to Seattle but also a lot of area where he will be working. They will not be working in the Seattle downtown see the below link for a territory map. Anywhere it says they have electric my husband will be working.

http://www.pse.com/aboutpse/PseNewsr...e_area_map.pdf

So my question is:

Can you guys recommend some place that is within 45minutes of Seattle that makes the travel my husband will have to do not quite as bad? We know he will be traveling most days and at times he will be staying in a hotel someplace so I want to feel safe being home alone with my 4 year old little boy.

We have a 4 year old boy and one dog. His salary range is 70-88K . Base is 70k with non-tax reimbursement averaging about 11k plus he gets a few bonus each year. We currently live outside the Kansas City Area and pay 975.00 per month in rent for a very small 3 bedroom house (1000sqft) on 15 acres with a pond! Currently pay about 160-190 per month for electric (house is total electric) and about 45 per month for our water bill and 65 every 3 months for trash service.

We would be comfortable paying up to 1100-1200 per month in rent but would hopefully want 3 bedroom or 2 bedrooms with a den. Would prefer a house but would consider town homes, apartments or duplexes, I personally don't care it is my husband who would rather have a house. I am okay to drive 20-30minutes to most everything even grocery stores because I am used to doing it now.

I am not currently working but working on my Master's degree but if needed I could get a part time job to make a bit more money.

So you guys have any suggestions or advice? Would it be a pipe dream to want to live close to the water?

ETA: I have never ever been to Seattle or anywhere in the Northwest. Based on what I have seen I am going to love the area and we hope to come out for at least a week in early September to see the area and find a rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,953,970 times
Wow!! What a very sweet deal with your home in KC. Unfortunately, the only way to find a similar deal is if you have a friend who needs you to take care of their property... and the utilities will be as cheap at that.

I feel North Bend would be too isolating. I'd think Maple Valley, (Eastern) Renton, Bothell... they do have rural areas if that's what you're looking for. They also are situated in good school districts. (North Bend does have a good SD.) Not a pipe dream to live close to the water... we are very amble in water... they're everywhere (they even come from the sky!). Though your budget doesn't allow for a waterfront.

I know you mentioned the 45 mins from Seattle, but if traffic is a concern, then it would be easier to know which direction your husband most likely to work at (North, South, East/West of Seattle?)

Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Wow!! What a very sweet deal with your home in KC. Unfortunately, the only way to find a similar deal is if you have a friend who needs you to take care of their property... and the utilities will be as cheap at that.

I feel North Bend would be too isolating. I'd think Maple Valley, (Eastern) Renton, Bothell... they do have rural areas if that's what you're looking for. They also are situated in good school districts. (North Bend does have a good SD.) Not a pipe dream to live close to the water... we are very amble in water... they're everywhere (they even come from the sky!). Though your budget doesn't allow for a waterfront.

I know you mentioned the 45 mins from Seattle, but if traffic is a concern, then it would be easier to know which direction your husband most likely to work at (North, South, East/West of Seattle?)

By isolating you mean?? Where we live at now is 15 minutes to the nearest gas station and 23 minutes to the nearest grocery store/town/restaurant etc so I can do isolating if that is what you mean. We are 45minutes from Kansas City and drive into the city for many things on the weekends and me and my son go to the city for various activities normally once per week.

As for where he will be working he will be working north, south, east and west of Seattle so ideally we would want to live someplace outside the city with close access to an interstate. He will not have to go downtown Seattle for his work so not sure how his commute would be. Not sure if you can see that service territory map I linked in the post but that would give you an idea of where he would be working. He will be as far north as the Canadian border and as far south as Thurston County (the whole county). They will have some work as far southeast as Kittitas county, east would be all of King County and west would include Port Townsend area, Kitsap county etc. So he will be all over the place.

It is a big area to try and narrow down where would be the best place to live and based upon PSE service territory map North Bend or other cities around that area would be a good place to be as far as in the middle of the largest county they will do.

Would love to hear your thoughts on what we might be able to rent in that range though....trying to decide if we should gear up for an apartment or not

Old 07-25-2011, 04:48 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,904,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilla05 View Post
We have a 4 year old boy and one dog. His salary range is 70-88K .
I wanna a 4 year old boy with that kind of salary!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 05:34 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,474,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Silly Tobester...It's the dog who makes 70k per year.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Silly Tobester...It's the dog who makes 70k per year.

I would love either of those as well...lol Of course I meant it is the hubs with that salary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area