Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 PM
bhs bhs started this thread

22 posts, read 31,126 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are thinking about a move to the Seattle area. I'm hoping that you all can help me clarify a few uncertainties...

My job is in IT networking, and am currently responsible for a corporate network, including WAN, LAN, Internet, security, etc. I hold several Cisco certifications as well as CISSP. I've got about 15 years in this career.

My wife is a graphic designer and currently works on packaging for a large company. She's got plenty of work on the shelves at major national chains and has been doing this for 12 years or so.

We're trying to get a better feel for where the concentration of jobs is in the area. Would we be more likely to find work in Seattle proper, or is there a particular outer city that we'd be more likely to find work?

We're considering doing this move without jobs lined up already, since we've both moved cross country and never had any luck with return calls. These hiring people (understandably) often avoid out-of-towners.

Is this a stupid idea? Would I be likely to find work or at least interviews rather quickly? We'll have a decent savings so we could last a good while if needed.

Could anyone comment on the minimum pay that she or I would likely encounter? I've heard a couple numbers for my field, but am curious about hers also.

What's the most central location to live that would position us to have the best commutes to work in our professions?

Thanks so much for any responses! I know these questions can be repetitive, but we love your area and have to get outta here!

-b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 06:47 AM

253 posts, read 572,644 times
I'd look at the Factoria area of Bellevue. With easy access to I-5 and 90, you are about equidistant from Seattle and Redmond (location of Microsoft). Not to mention Bellevue has some big companies itself, Expedia, T-Mobile, a couple Microsoft towers.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,819 posts, read 81,772,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
I'd look at the Factoria area of Bellevue. With easy access to I-5 and 90, you are about equidistant from Seattle and Redmond (location of Microsoft). Not to mention Bellevue has some big companies itself, Expedia, T-Mobile, a couple Microsoft towers.
Agreed. There are probably more jobs available here compared to many other cities, especially IT.

On the other hand, I know several graphic artists and it's gotten tough for them around here with many reductions in marketing over the last couple of years.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:36 PM

thanks, guys.

I'm hearing all around that Bellevue is the most central spot for commuting. We're definitely placing that on the top of our list of "pretend commutes" during our relocation vacation in August.

From what I can tell the I should expect somewhere in the $124k range for my salary as a network engineer, but none the less we'll budget for something like $110k just to be safe.

For my wife's it's a little uneasy, but it does look like there are jobs. She's going to call up the agencies soon to get a better picture, but we'll plan on an uphill road for her, including the possibility of short-term gigs.

I'm still interested in feedback from any IT folks with first-hand knowledge of network engineer pay for a mid-level person like myself. I know another gentleman on here stated his salary as in the $240k ballpark, but that seems to be exceptional and in his case I'm sure deserved as he seems to be a senior member of his staff. This guy also mentioned $140k as reasonable for the network profession.

I did speak to a couple recruiters today, and they weren't exactly sure of what I should expect for pay because they primarily recruit for nationwide positions... I guess I called the wrong guys!

I am getting the feeling that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to job hunt before we move, because for one I might not get any responses and for another because I might taint the databases of recruiters with my old address and thus get ignored for future opportunities.

I'd really like to hear first-hand accounts. Feel free to PM me in confidence.

We're getting closer to a tentative "yes" decision, probably 6-8 months out.

thanks everyone!

BTW, the last time I was in Seattle, upon my return to my apartment elsewhere I found that it had been broken into and everything of value stolen!!! hopefully on this relocation vacation that doesn't happen again!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:55 PM

542 posts, read 1,482,330 times
Both are hard to come by. I have several IT friends that have been layed off or can't find work. One just moved out of state to the South last fall after finding no work for months (with tons of certifications and work experience). My sister is a graphic design artist and moved to Seattle. And the only work she could find was part time. She left th the state as well and started doing freelance work (which could be a possibility for your wife) while going back to school.
So...yes you could go without jobs, but be prepared to possibly try work in nonrelated fields, do freelance work, live on savings for a while etc. You could also both fall into good jobs, but I think it is good to at least be aware of the reality of the job market there right now.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:03 AM

Thanks sekhmet1974.

From the online job searches that I've been doing over the past couple weeks it looks there are a bunch of jobs that fit my qualifications. I realize that this doesn't mean that I'll be hired for any of them, but there are least a good number of opportunities. My wife's job prospects do seem to be worse than mine, but she's yet to talk to the agencies to get a good idea.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:04 PM

370 posts, read 1,070,764 times
Default Eastside networking events

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are thinking about a move to the Seattle area. I'm hoping that you all can help me clarify a few uncertainties...

My job is in IT networking, and am currently responsible for a corporate network, including WAN, LAN, Internet, security, etc. I hold several Cisco certifications as well as CISSP. I've got about 15 years in this career.

My wife is a graphic designer and currently works on packaging for a large company. She's got plenty of work on the shelves at major national chains and has been doing this for 12 years or so.

We're trying to get a better feel for where the concentration of jobs is in the area. Would we be more likely to find work in Seattle proper, or is there a particular outer city that we'd be more likely to find work?

We're considering doing this move without jobs lined up already, since we've both moved cross country and never had any luck with return calls. These hiring people (understandably) often avoid out-of-towners.

Is this a stupid idea? Would I be likely to find work or at least interviews rather quickly? We'll have a decent savings so we could last a good while if needed.

Could anyone comment on the minimum pay that she or I would likely encounter? I've heard a couple numbers for my field, but am curious about hers also.

What's the most central location to live that would position us to have the best commutes to work in our professions?

Thanks so much for any responses! I know these questions can be repetitive, but we love your area and have to get outta here!

-b
Try to coordinate your visit around a networking event. The last one I attended was very well represented with over 250 people from recruiters and other networkers

Old 07-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the tips.

We're looking forward to our relocation in August and plan to make a decision pretty quickly afterword.

One more question - has anyone had experience in signing a rental lease prior to landing a job? I'm not sure if this would work out or if I'd have an easier time staying in an extended stay.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,819 posts, read 81,772,341 times
Unless you happen to find an easy-going elderly landlord offering a basement apartment, most will do a full credit check and require the income to be at least 3 times the rent. Some have in the past taken 6 months advance payment in cases like this, but right now there is no
need for them to, since rentals are going so quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area