Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,118 times

Advertisements

We (myself, my hubby, and our 6 y.o.) are moving to Seattle in January. My husband will be working at the new proton therapy center at Northwest Hospital.
I want to live (rent) as close to Northwest as possible, but it has to be a safe neighborhood with a good elementary school. My husband would like to ride his bike or drive less than 20 minutes to work.
How close can I get to the hospital and still be in a good, walk-able neighborhood? The immediate area (Haller Lake) doesn't look very nice and the rents are dramatically lower, which is never a good sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 07:28 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,377,484 times
Directly west and south there's the Greenwood neighborhood that is nice and walkable along the main street, south of 105th and north of 85th. Basically anything south of 85th will be nice on the west side of I-5. Walkable, safe, and different feels for each neighborhood (how familiar are you with Chicago? I grew up there, so I can make comparisons if you like as best I can). Since you have a 6 year old, I might suggest living a block or so away from the main areas of Ballard and Fremont due to how noisy it can get. Aurora has suddenly become very sketchy at night too, so you will want to stay away from there (the recession hasn't been kind to the old kitschy motels and old apartments along it, more graffitti and such now).

East of the highway is Northgate. It's a very multi ethnic area but does have a distinct lack of sidewalks in some areas. Though, it is very close to oneo f the major malls here, Northgate. South of Northgate is the University District and Ravenna. Ravenna is nice, UD is nice only north of 55th due to the students living there. East of UD, Windemere and around there, is nice but less walkable.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:46 PM

731 posts, read 938,048 times
Sunset Hill, west of Ballard, the North end of Ballard, and Phinney Ridge/Greenwood, Wallingford would all be good. I live on the west end of Ballard and I had both of my children at NW hospital. It was about a 15 minute drive, all on city streets. South of 85th has sidewalks, which makes it feel so much more walkable. It's tough going East/West in this city, so keep that in mind when looking at neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area