Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 AM

30 posts, read 58,117 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! Well, my husband and I are taking the leap and plan on moving up to the Seattle area. I have been looking online at apartments that meet our criteria, which is great, BUT I do not know if they are in good neighborhoods or not. We do not want ghetto, but also do not want super ritzy... we are just average people! Anyway,are there any areas in the entire metro area that are just run down and should in no way think about? Some of the cities I have found an apartment that I like are: Federal way, Kent, Tacoma, Bothell, Renton, and Tukwila and obviously Seattle. I know within all of these these cities are places to run from... but we just need help.

So, what neighborhoods should we totally steer clear from? ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 12:03 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,879,329 times
It would mostly depend where in those cities the apartment is.

Generally people would say stay away from Tukwila... but it's cheap and if you're living in the area right across the mall; it'll be quiet and very convenient as the i5 is *right* there. Renton around the Skyway area is scuzzy; Downtown and westward is ok. Federal Way-- as long it's not on hwy 99, you're good. Tacoma... as long it's not East, Southeast, Lakewood areas, you're good. Kent is a so-so town; scuzzy areas around Central Ave. I'd say all of Bothell is pretty safe.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Thanks! Know anything about the Trellis apartments in Federal Way? Going out on a limb here and guessing not, but couldn't hurt to ask!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:21 PM

492 posts, read 1,042,206 times
Where you'll be working is an important factor. A nasty commute to a cheap apt. can be lower value than a short commute to a more expensive apt.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:00 PM

good point! However, all the company has told my husband is that he will be in one of their 25 stores in the area. There are 35 stores in the entire Seattle metro area... so we have no choice but to look at something almost in the middle. It really stinks and i am NOT happy about it, but at the same time, I want him to keep his job! but i do totally get what you are saying!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:14 PM

7 posts, read 13,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabthegreat View Post
we are just average people!
Don't know if I would intentionally steer you away from any specific neighborhoods but, apart from the lakeshore and downtown core (Belltown), I would say Seattleites taken as a whole are mostly just average people. Check out the neighborhoods in the city, from the Ship Canal on north. I'm betting you'd find them to be to your liking.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:07 AM

542 posts, read 1,479,560 times
There are not true ghettos in Seattle. That said, less desireable areas imo are Kent and Tacoma (Tacoma is also about an hour from Seattle, fyi). Why not just live in Seattle? Would need more info (age, kids, interests) to suggest specific neighborhoods

Old 07-17-2011, 12:09 AM

542 posts, read 1,479,560 times
Quote:
good point! However, all the company has told my husband is that he will be in one of their 25 stores in the area. There are 35 stores in the entire Seattle metro area... so we have no choice but to look at something almost in the middle. It really stinks and i am NOT happy about it, but at the same time, I want him to keep his job! but i do totally get what you are saying!
I guess I am probably wrong, but I personally consider those other areas you listed as tobe to far out to be the "Seattle metro area"...except maybe Tukwila....but Tukwila is NOTHING like Seattle.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:35 PM

492 posts, read 1,042,206 times
Quote:
good point! However, all the company has told my husband is that he will be in one of their 25 stores in the area. There are 35 stores in the entire Seattle metro area... so we have no choice but to look at something almost in the middle.
Assuming no kids, the job site remains just one of those 35 stores, and extended stay hotel is out of the question for some reason, I'd look for a 6-month lease or even 3 months. Don't rule out the nicer areas, they have cheaper places too, and it would only be temporary anyway. When the job site is known you could move closer to the job site, and by then you'd know the city better. Being close to the job is paramount here, esp. with Lake Washington splitting the region.

If you want to be in the middle and not move, check out the Metro Trip Planner to get a place with good bus / light rail options. That's often not the middle.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:12 PM

Well, maybe this will help... We are in our mid 20s, no kids and don't plan on any for a while, 2 dogs ( one lab and one dachshund).... Interests are: good food, parks, places for our dogs to swim, friendly people. We fell in love with Seattle and the people because they care so much about their surroundings. Being in Texas, we get none of that... The bigger, louder and best looking trucks are what people care about. Since we are moving due to his job, I will not have one so, that limits the budget. We do plan on signing a 6 month lease to familiarize ourselves with the area. he will not know what store he is in until almost right before we move. So for starters, we need to be in the middle of the metro area and are looking for it to be as close to Seattle lifestyle as possible.

With that being said, any other suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area