Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 7,177 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I got a great writing job in Seattle, and now I'm starting the complicated process of finding a place to live from halfway across the country. I will be making a trip into Seattle soon, but I thought I would gather some information before I get in so I can use my time as wisely as possible.

A little bit about me: I'm 25, moving by myself (aside from my two cats). I've spent the last few years living in pretty small midwestern towns so I'm excited to move to a big city. I'm not the bar-hopping party-type, but I do enjoy a good beer or two on the weekends.

I'll be working in South Lake Union, and I'd love to have an easy commute, but I do have a car and I don't mind long bus/train rides because I can get some quality reading done. From the research I've done, it looks like Lower Queen Anne or Capitol Hill would be nice, but I was wondering if there are any other more up-and-coming neighborhoods that I should check out. Columbia City is another neighborhood that interests me, but it does seem like it's a ways down. How's traffic down that way heading towards downtown? Public transit options?

I'd love any feedback I can get on these areas or others. Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 AM

507 posts, read 1,671,002 times
I think Capitol Hill would be safe bet. I live there and I walk to work in SLU in under 20 minutes which, to me, is added quality of life compared to a bus/car commute. Lower Queen Anne is not quite as lively as CH but still has all the bars and restaurants you need and is equally close.

If you move to Columbia City you'll almost certainly save money on your rent. I had a look a little while ago at Georgetown which is supposed to be quite nice and pretty close to Columbia City. If you don't need to get out of your area much these places aren't bad but you'll need transport to go everywhere really. In Capitol Hill you can do so many things walking or cycling which I love but might not be everyone's cup of tea...

Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,382,594 times
Another area you might consider is...South Lake Union. Easily walking to work is not a bad thing. Yes, there may be too may new buildings there and I don't know about rents, but there's shopping and restaurants...Columbia City is just a few blocks from the light rail, and it's a 20 minute train ride to Westlake, then another 10 minute streetcar ride or walk to South Lake Union....
Eastlake is another nice, comfortable neighborhood.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 7,177 times
Thanks so much for the advice!

When I came into Seattle for the job interview, my hotel was in Belltown/South Lake Union. I didn't get the best vibes from the area, but I might not have been looking in the right places. CH definitely seems like a good fit; I'm a bit worried about parking and high rental prices, but I guess you get what you pay for. I'll have to explore Columbia City when I come in to visit to see if it feels like "my place" because you're right, I don't want to be hauling around whenever I want to do something fun.

A few other areas of interest: Wallingford? Central District?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 PM

615 posts, read 1,077,401 times
Wallingford is a nice area, a few minutes north of downtown and across from the university of Washington. It is looked down on by some younger people apparently as being too yuppy, and is probably a little quieter than the areas directly around downtown.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,593,971 times
Honestly, since you're going to be working at Amazon-sorry, it's easy to divine these things-you're gonna be so exhausted at the end of the week you won't be going out as much as you thought you would. Queen Anne is a great place for you to set down roots, as is Fremont. Lot of people like Ballard because it's so chill. More of a mellow vibe. Cap Hill is for the 'screw it, I'm young, I'll max out my credit cards on booze and figure it out later' and the 'look at me, I'm so awesome because I don't have (read: can't afford) a car' crowds. That doesn't really sound like you. Columbia City would be one hell of a commute for you. At that point, you're almost better off just living in Bellevue. Wallingford is a haven for smash and grab crime, so if you choose there, make sure you've got a really low deductible on your car insurance to cover the busted windows.

Conversely, if your new dream job pays well enough, there have been a rash of high rise condos put up in the downtown area the last few years. The one on 4th and Lenore is especially nice looking, though the ones on Olive show promise. Might be worth looking into for you.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,591 times
Default Neighborhoods info

Greetings. You seem to know the Seattle area well. My husband is considering taking a job with REI in Kent WA. Could you recommend some safe neighborhoods. We are looking for a short commute, but are open to areas that may provide a reverse commute. We are both in our late 40s, childfree (so good schools is not a requirement). We currently live in the SF bay area, and am planning to rent our house here and rent for a while in WA to get a feel of what we want to do. Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Honestly, since you're going to be working at Amazon-sorry, it's easy to divine these things-you're gonna be so exhausted at the end of the week you won't be going out as much as you thought you would. Queen Anne is a great place for you to set down roots, as is Fremont. Lot of people like Ballard because it's so chill. More of a mellow vibe. Cap Hill is for the 'screw it, I'm young, I'll max out my credit cards on booze and figure it out later' and the 'look at me, I'm so awesome because I don't have (read: can't afford) a car' crowds. That doesn't really sound like you. Columbia City would be one hell of a commute for you. At that point, you're almost better off just living in Bellevue. Wallingford is a haven for smash and grab crime, so if you choose there, make sure you've got a really low deductible on your car insurance to cover the busted windows.

Conversely, if your new dream job pays well enough, there have been a rash of high rise condos put up in the downtown area the last few years. The one on 4th and Lenore is especially nice looking, though the ones on Olive show promise. Might be worth looking into for you.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:06 PM

542 posts, read 1,480,903 times
I second Fremont. I would not recommend Capital Hill with a car, actually. Too much of a PITA trying to find parking. Fremont would be an EASY bus ride to South Lake Union, too. It's not overly crowded, actually kind of perfect, with a Sunday market, restaurants, bars, festivals, etc, and it's right on the water. It's also right next to/on the Burke Gilman trail which is lovely for walking/running/biking, etc, and Gasworks Park is right there. Honestly, you can't beat it. Lots to do and a good place for mid 20s-30s without being too much of a party area like Capital Hill can be. Street parking is far easier and you could likely even get a place with a parking spot (we did when we lived there).

Old 08-17-2011, 02:13 PM

542 posts, read 1,480,903 times
Ok regarding Wallingford and "smash and grab" crime, that is EVERYWHERE. Wallingford is actually a GREAT area. Seattle in general has car crimes (altogether thefts and break-ins) so you just have to be smart and don't leave anything in the car, have an alarm and a club to deter. You will be fine. But Wallingford is not "the haven" of car crimes anymore than Belltown, Capital Hill, downtown, the waterfront, Fremont, Ballard, etc. It's all the same, so don't let this alarmist scare you. Btw, you will enjoy a more lively neighborhood as I and others mentioned much more than a downtown condo at your age. I moved to Seattle when I was 23 (am 36 now)...trust me on this. Also, you are young and will have plenty of energy for going out no matter how much you are working. Congrats on your job!!

Old 08-17-2011, 03:29 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,593,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arleendequeen View Post
Greetings. You seem to know the Seattle area well. My husband is considering taking a job with REI in Kent WA. Could you recommend some safe neighborhoods. We are looking for a short commute, but are open to areas that may provide a reverse commute. We are both in our late 40s, childfree (so good schools is not a requirement). We currently live in the SF bay area, and am planning to rent our house here and rent for a while in WA to get a feel of what we want to do. Any recommendations?
I have a buddy that's about to start a job there. He lives in Kennydale, which he was saying was about a 15 minute commute to REI headquarters to (and would be reverse commute). Renton Highlands would work, Newcastle, Tukwila has some nice areas.

As to Wallingford not being "any worse" for smash and grab than the surrounding boroughs, I'll let the signs that business owners plaster all over their buildings because it's gotten so bad speak for themselves, and I'm sure someone will come along with a graph or some sort of crime rate statistic that disproves this theory that it's "no worse".

I honestly can't think of the last time I was in Wallingford for something and didn't see auto glass window on the ground somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area