Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 AM

10 posts, read 16,101 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Me and my husband will be visiting Seattle from the DC area in a couple of weeks. We will be in Seattle for 4 days and would like some ideas on places to visit around the area (we will have a car) and places to eat.

Where are the best places to catch gorgeous mountain views for picture taking? what are some free/inexpensive things to do around the area that can't be missed?

Are there any places right outside of the city that are nice spots to check out?

Also, any suggestions on good food places? We are not into fancy restaurants - any good local places or local chains we need to check out? We love burgers, pizza, Mexican and sushi.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 05:15 PM

304 posts, read 852,611 times
I think the best mountain views are from the water. Take a ferry boat to Whidbey Island. You can also get a great view of the mountains and the city coming from Bainbridge Island.

One of my favorite spots is Discovery Park. It's great for a picnic. You can hike down to the lighthouse. Another spot I really like is Fremont because it is such a funky little place. Stop by Paseo for Cuban sandwiches and see the Fremont Troll under the Aurora Ave bridge (on Troll Ave. N and I think N 35th Ave). Get some fantastic southern Mexican food at El Mestizo in the Capital Hill/First Hill area. Think banana leaves, not cheddar cheese. My favorite burger joint is Kidd Valley on Mercer Street. The shakes are good and fresh and the burgers are hardy. Paggliacci's Pizza is right across the street. It is inventive but still good.

If you are downtown stop by the Specialty Bake Shop on 5th and Union for quiche or cookies. They are very good.

Everybody does the Pike Place and Space Needle tours but if you get off the beaten path you will get a better feel for the city.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:26 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,329,261 times
Here are some ideas- scroll down and and look at the get out section
Seattle travel guide - Wikitravel

Old 07-06-2011, 11:56 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,329,261 times
maybe taking the ferry to bainbridge island or alki beach from downtown is a good idea and something different or if u have a passport maybe a day trip to victoria canada
Web Specials for Victoria Clipper Ferry Service - Seattle to Victoria

Old 07-06-2011, 12:29 PM

157 posts, read 219,284 times
Besides the usual Pike Place Market and Space needle..

Places I usually take my guests when visiting (all of these events are either free or inexpensive):

Columbia Tower (best day-time view, only open weekdays though during business hours)
Underground tour
Gasworks
Mt. Si (if you all are in shape for semi-challenging hike with a great view at the top. It's a popular hike around here). The temperature there should be great in a couple weeks.
Kerry Park for one of the best/most popular views of the city (you do not have to hike to get to this view..)

Ferry to Olympic National Park, and usually hike Hurricane Ridge over there. Great views as well.

For burgers, check out Bluemoon Burger in Fremont (pretty popular burger place), which would also give you the chance to hit up the local shops, Fremont Troll, and Gasworks park, all nearby.

Beth's Cafe': Great breakfast place that serves a 12-egg omlette, as seen on man vs food.

Mehhhh too many things to do IMO. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:33 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,142,752 times
I would second the suggestion to take a ferryboat ride to Bainbridge Iland. See the Seattle skyline form out in the sound with the Cascade Mountains as a backdrop. Go the the Olympic Peninsula and Olympic National Park. Take a ferry ride into the San Jaun Islands, it's just gorgeous there. Take a drive up to Parardise at the foot of Mt. Rainer in Rainer National Park.
Best places to eat, explore The Farmer's Market. There's some great resturants there. Go to Iver's Salmon House or Anthony's Home Port.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 AM

10 posts, read 16,101 times
Thanks so much everyone! These are great ideas

We can't wait to visit the beautiful city of Seattle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area