Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 22,616 times

Advertisements

i saw on a map that a little body of water connects the sound to the lake. Doesn;t that mean that there is a little salt water in there? Are there salt water fish and species in that lake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 02:06 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Its a fresh water body with an infusion of the briny water of Puget Sound.

If you look into the Ballard Locks, they have this whole thing about the Salmon Run. I'm not sure about any other salt/fresh water fishes.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:14 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
It's actually a pretty large body of water too. Very fun place to spend time!!

Old 06-30-2011, 03:58 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
One of the functions of the "Locks" on the Lake Washington Ship Canal (the probable "little body of water" you're referring to) is to keep the salt water and fresh water separate. Lake Union and Lake Washington are above sea-level (Puget Sound) so that's why the locks are necessary. The locks have provisions to not let huge amounts of salt water into the fresh water of Lake Union and Lake Washington.

The wikipedia page will explain it in better detail:

Hiram M. Chittenden Locks

Old 06-30-2011, 04:41 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
I've caught perch, walleye, trout, crappie and bass in Lake Washington - and I think I might have had a pike on the hook once, but didn't land it, so yeah...it's freshwater. Although I'm not sure if you're supposed to eat the fish or not. I've been told it's got some chemical contamination, so I throw em back.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:32 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I've caught perch, walleye, trout, crappie and bass in Lake Washington - and I think I might have had a pike on the hook once, but didn't land it, so yeah...it's freshwater. Although I'm not sure if you're supposed to eat the fish or not. I've been told it's got some chemical contamination, so I throw em back.
This is very true. PCBs, dioxins, and other stuff that was banned decades ago still contaminate the water. That's why people are advised not to eat stuff out of there, or drink a lot of the water.

And whatever you do, don't go fishing in the Wenatchee river.

Local News | Fish in Lake Washington among state's most tainted | Seattle Times Newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area