Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,563,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersnatch View Post
The metro is really nice to have since it's always on time no matter the weather or number of car crashes on the road.
That's not what my employees tell me when they are late for work.

Short sales are tricky, especially for someone relocating, as the bank must approve the sale and it can take months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 09:21 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,385,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
That's not what my employees tell me when they are late for work.

Short sales are tricky, especially for someone relocating, as the bank must approve the sale and it can take months.
Having worked for METRO for 24 years, I can attest that buses are often late, because they sit in traffic the same as cars do.
As far as short sales, not only can they take months, but more often they don't happen at all.
Yes, you can get a good deal on a short sale, but:
1. The lender doesn't tell the seller's agent( the listing agent) what amount they will approve, and some agents will price the short sale unrealistically low, knowing that the low amount will not be approved, in the hope that the low list price will generate multiple offers that go beyond the asking price. It's illegal but it happens.
2. Even if the lender approves the sale, sometimes the home has a second loan or third loan, and typically the first lender needs to offer the second lien holder an amount that they too will approve. In a foreclosure, the second lien holder will typically lose everything, so they often will accept a much smaller amount. I had a deal where the lender approved the deal, but then the second lien holder emerged, saying they wouldn't accept 4000 dollars to settle the 80,000 dollars they were owed, that they wouldn't go away unless another 7000 dollars came to them. It's a short sale, so the sellers couldn't come up with it ( they're broke, that's why it's a short sale.) The listing agent claimed that they were already doing this for " next to nothing."
That left the buyer and the buyer's agent (me) to come up with the extra 7000 if the deal were to happen. We split it, and the deal ultimately happened, seven months after the buyer and seller agreed to the deal.
I wouldn't say avoid short sales at all costs, just be aware that they have many pitfalls and are far from a sure thing.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:41 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,928,384 times
Well- the good news is that there are hundreds and hundreds of houses worth 250K but the bad news is that the owners are asking 450K.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
I saw two today in Bellevue, in the area of 67th-69th just north of Northup.
Both pretty beat up little flat tops but could be fixed up. One was $238k, the other $175k.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Having worked for METRO for 24 years, I can attest that buses are often late, because they sit in traffic the same as cars do.
The other problem in Seattle is when it's full and doesn't stop so you have to wait for the next one.

I have my Orca card and may start taking the bus soon myself, but even if late no one will know it since I start at 7am and the rest come in at 8 or 8:30. If I get on the 216 here in Sammamish it's pretty empty until it gets to Issaquah.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:34 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,534,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
Well- the good news is that there are hundreds and hundreds of houses worth 250K but the bad news is that the owners are asking 450K.
Ha! So true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area