Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:43 AM

239 posts, read 690,355 times

Advertisements

I think more people drive bigger SUVs or pickups because of the need to haul a big family, pets, and either a boat or camper. I drive a GMC Duramax diesel because I pull a 5000 pound boat. When I do not need that power or size, I drive my Escape Hybrid. Most cannot afford having two vehicles to choose from, so maybe it has to be the SUV. They still might get more mileage per passenger than a Prius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,899,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Doer View Post
They still might get more mileage per passenger than a Prius.
Always my argument to those who ask how I can afford to drive a Suburban - with six passengers most of the time, I get 90-100 passenger miles/gallon. And my passengers are quite comfortable and quite safe.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:39 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,800,328 times
I love the passenger argument. If you didn't drive an SUV, then surely your 6 month old would be driving their own car!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:15 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,574,962 times
Considering how awful the pavement is around here, I almost wish I had an SUV.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:35 PM

579 posts, read 1,215,147 times
Quote:
Considering how awful the pavement is around here, I almost wish I had an SUV.
Unfortunately my SUV feels every little bump in the road. Very bouncy ride. Can't wait to trade it out for a smaller car.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 AM

239 posts, read 690,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I love the passenger argument. If you didn't drive an SUV, then surely your 6 month old would be driving their own car!
That six month old in your Prius lets you drive in the carpool lane. Is a that baby creating a carpool situation?

Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 PM

579 posts, read 1,215,147 times
Quote:
Always my argument to those who ask how I can afford to drive a Suburban - with six passengers most of the time, I get 90-100 passenger miles/gallon. And my passengers are quite comfortable and quite safe.
Quote:
I don't see where it says he has a 6 month old, but where he says he has 6 passengers. Plus driver that equals 7 people, and a smaller 5 passenger car would require two cars to be on the road to haul that same amount of people. I know many families with 6, 7 or more kids, and the option is one big van, suburban etc.....or each parent driving a vehicle. Although I am looking forward to getting rid of my SUV for a smaller more fuel efficient and environmentally friendly car, I've spent the last 10 years car pooling with other parents and take up to 6 kids at a time. There are trade offs......

Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 4,635 times
Why are people saying "you'll be fine" with an SUV in the city?
Most parking spaces are designed for compacts. I understand that people with big cars need to park too, but, unless you're good at parking in tight spaces, you're probably going to find yourself challenged in finding a spot.
Seattle has some hilly, narrow streets (not all streets, but some are), with lots of crosswalks. Lots of stop and go traffic, which doesn't help gas consumption.

You're better off going with a station wagon (a Volvo wagon would be pretty solid) or something lower to the ground and less bulky. Not saying you can't maneuver through the city with an SUV, many people do, it's just, if you're worried about it in the first place, it might not be the best idea.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 AM

24 posts, read 44,119 times
Default Small problem but ok to wair

I drive my highlander aroud the city all the time and I am fine. YES it is smaller then a big SUV but I still am ok. Is it as easy as our Yaris? NO. but I also can't do as much with that like you said. If you dont want to put the money out to change then don't. Where there is a will there is a way. I have done just fine in the city. Most of the street parking is taken and I have gound out sometimes its even cheep just to park in the garage then the street. down at the aquarium it's that way...

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2011, 12:49 AM

22,066 posts, read 25,437,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCatson View Post
Why are people saying "you'll be fine" with an SUV in the city?
Most parking spaces are designed for compacts. I understand that people with big cars need to park too, but, unless you're good at parking in tight spaces, you're probably going to find yourself challenged in finding a spot.
Seattle has some hilly, narrow streets (not all streets, but some are), with lots of crosswalks. Lots of stop and go traffic, which doesn't help gas consumption.

You're better off going with a station wagon (a Volvo wagon would be pretty solid) or something lower to the ground and less bulky. Not saying you can't maneuver through the city with an SUV, many people do, it's just, if you're worried about it in the first place, it might not be the best idea.
Not at all true. Seattle's municipal code ensures that there will always be plenty of parking for large SUVs. A certain number (between 35-75%) of parking spots for commercial/mixed-use buildings are required to be for large vehicles. Even a full-size SUV will easily fit in the at least 19 foot parking slots.

Seriously, people all hilarious about SUVs. A Highlander is substantially smaller than a Ford Taurus or Toyota Avalon. It's basically the size of a Toyota Camry. Slightly shorter shorter than a Camry and slightly wider. It's really not that hard. Hundreds of thousands of people have absolutely no problem maneuvering their Camry through American cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area