Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 09:49 AM

10 posts, read 24,520 times

Advertisements

I've read through many of the threads and narrowed my search into 3 categories:

Seattle neighborhoods that sound like they could work: green lake, wallingford, Fremont, Ballard and Queen Anne. Question - is the commute to Everett manageable? How are the schools?

Closer to Everett - Mulkiteo and Edmunds seem like a lot of folks have nice things to say, a lot about how beautiful it is...but is there any type of walkable community - shopping/restaurants/parks? Pretty is nice - but want to have a community where people are out and about and see each other.

East - Kirkland, Bellevue - schools, commute, stuff to do?

Any thoughts here would be helpful - ideally i would like to keep the commute to 30 minutes, have great schools, and live in a community with some life/action for the kids and us too!

Appreciate the local input, you really can't beat it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 05:00 PM

Based on no responses, i am either way off base, or gave too many options.

Any advice? - thank you!

Old 06-04-2011, 05:34 PM

7 posts, read 10,451 times
Mulkiteo is a nice area from what I understand and depending on where exactly you are working is a good commute. Paine Field is actually closer to Mulkiteo than to Everett (fyi), at least according to google maps. I've found that is a great tool to see neighborhoods that will show up on the map. As for schools in Kirkland specifically: I know there is a private school that is pretty good, however you have to attend the church in order to be apart of the school and volunteer some time as well. We were considering that area as well. Sorry I couldn't be much more help. :0) I'm from Nor Cal moving up this summer and have found that rates are a bit more expensive for housing costs, but comparable. Almost considering buying rather than renting at this point! Seems like it's the cheaper option! When are you transferring?

Old 06-04-2011, 05:45 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitova View Post
Based on no responses, i am either way off base, or gave too many options.

Any advice? - thank you!
I think " gave too many options" was the issue.
But I'll take a stab at it. My question for you is " Is living in the City of Seattle so important that you're willing to endure soul crushing traffic on a regular basis?"
Yes, Greenlake, Wallingford, etc are nice parts of Seattle and really special in their way, but: Are you going to be going into the city of Seattle very regularly?
If there's something that's going to draw you into Seattle as often as work will bring you to Everett, then sure, consider Seattle.
But otherwise?
I'd simply look north, and forget Seattle or Bellevue.
I-5 is a miserable beast, and you'd be wise to avoid it as often as possible.

As far as walkability, Edmonds is pretty good for that. It's an artsy and genteel downtown. safe, good schools, a vibrant downtown, and really pretty.
I wouldn't even rule out Everett. It has some beautiful parts.
Mukilteo feels a little more suburban, but it has a couple of great places for coffee, and is also very pretty near the water.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Yes forget Seattle/Bellevue. It wouldn't be a 30 mins commute anyway.

Edmonds is very nice, great community. Mukilteo is more suburb-y, but it has a great park (Lighthouse Park).

If you're wanting to check out some of the Eastside, then I'd suggest Bothell (anything south would be a commute PITA). They have a little DT area, great schools, cute little community.

All have enough population density to offer some shopping/restaurants/parks.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Default thank you!

I truly appreciate the feedback! looking to move from michigan probably in August so just trying to narrow in areas before seriously looking at houses.

Thanks - great tips.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:53 PM

56 posts, read 160,938 times
Depending on where your job is...Whidbey Island might be an option? We have alot of Boeing, etc. commuters here... just a thought..

Old 07-17-2011, 05:02 PM

Thank you all - I think after speaking with some folks I am narrowing in on two areas:
1.) Edmunds - only concern, school scores on greatschools.org are not good. any body have any personal experience with the schools?
2.) Kirkland - the commute is a little longer - but downtown, newer construction, and schools seem good. Any suggestions on specific neighborhoods in Kirklands?

Thanks again!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:20 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,291 times
Near "downtown" Kirkland is $$$$. Look at the city map online. To the north (e.g. Juanita Beach, Finn Hill) is the less expensive, still nice part.

Everett has a downtrodden part, in the south. The downtown and north of there is a lot nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area