Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:36 AM

2 posts, read 14,575 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving to Redmond later this year and I am looking for schools that use the British system - so as not to disrupt the kids education too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:54 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,135,117 times
I think you'll find 'British' schools in Britain, not here.
What do you mean by 'British Schools'?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Not that I have heard of in our 18 years here. The best we can do is a very active cricket league, and a great British Restaurant/Store in Redmond. My wife works at an elementary school and if it's any help, there are actually several recent British transplants there whose parent works at Microsoft, and they are doing just fine in our school system, the same one as in Redmond.

Welcome to the NorthWest Cricket League (http://nwcl.org/NWCLWeb/ - broken link)
British food. The British Pantry stocks British food and hard to find British food items.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 PM

95 posts, read 258,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Yeah that's what I would think.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:27 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,879,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
The British Schools of America

If I was living in one of those 6 cities (DC, Houston, Boston, Chicago, Charlotte, NYC), I'd consider sending my daughter there. I've never heard of any British schools here. I would love to know if there is one.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:26 PM

260 posts, read 757,963 times
To add on to the Northwest Cricket League, there is also the King's Rugby league.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:51 PM

127 posts, read 401,576 times
We just moved 3 kids into the Issaquah school district from the UK. One is a Freshman at high school another at Middle and another in Elementary. We arrived a month after term started, but they all seem to be coping well. I guess if we had to go back to the UK before HS finishes it may be hard for them with no GSCEs.

It appears that one of the LWSD schools is offering an iGCSE but I have no idea what it actually is;

Cambridge

Old 01-31-2011, 02:26 AM

2 posts, read 14,575 times
Thanks All, I am looking for a school that uses the british education system i.e. GCSE's and A levels and also uses the same syllabus. There are plenty of American schools in the UK that run the US Education system - which are great for families relocating for a short while to a different country.
Another example is that children start school in the UK at 4 years old - is that the same in the US?

Old 01-31-2011, 06:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotchute View Post
Another example is that children start school in the UK at 4 years old - is that the same in the US?
In most states Kindergarten eligibility requires them to be age 5 by the September start date.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,135,117 times
We have pre-school. My grandson, who is soon to be 2 years old, is in a nursery school sponsered by a local neighborhood church. They get to learn social behavior, numbers, sports, and the alphabet. He is also going to a Chinese school where he is learning Chinese and my daughter is teaching him Spanish. We bought him a toy computer, which he just loves because he likes to imitate his parents. His nursery school teachers tell us he is very articulate in speaking for his age. He can speak in sentences and tries to be part of the conversation with us adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area