Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 01:36 AM

850 posts, read 799,325 times

Advertisements

Hello I wanted to know how the accounting/finance job market is even in a recession. I live in Chicago with a larger pool of opportunities, but want to move out eventually. I plan on getting a accounting degree and Seattle is one of my destinations to live. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 AM

368 posts, read 697,122 times
I was contracting here with Robert Half when the crash hit, and it wasn't pretty. Even temp jobs dried up for quite a while. Now things are slowly coming back and they have more opportunities, but the market is pretty flooded. Seattle was hit pretty hard with layoffs just like everywhere else, and you have a large pool of qualified to overqualified applicants. I would recommend Robert Half or 2 degrees if you move here with no job, and they can get you started.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,548,017 times
Along with RH and TwoDegrees, also try Volt for accounting jobs...they contract heavily with Microsoft. Being a CPA myself, I would highly encourage you to sit for the exam and get the full certification. It will only give you that many more options down the road. Good luck!!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:19 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,676,160 times
My wife and I moved out here expecting that she'd have an easy time finding work. She's an accountant with 15 years of experience, and we saw tons of accounting jobs on the job sites before we got here. She's been here now for two months, and the recruiters have had next to nothing for her. Some won't even call her back. Robert Half has actually been the worst at stonewalling her. We suspect that the market is just flooded, or that hiring managers aren't using recruiters that much anymore. She's actually gotten more calls back from jobs she's applied directly to on Craigslist.

Not to discourage you, but it seems to be a tough market right now.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:56 AM

368 posts, read 697,122 times
Quote:
Robert Half has actually been the worst at stonewalling her. We suspect that the market is just flooded, or that hiring managers aren't using recruiters that much anymore. She's actually gotten more calls back from jobs she's applied directly to on Craigslist.
That's a sign that it's just flooded right now. I also think that recruiters will go to candidates first that have a track record of success with them. It's tough coming from out of state as connections are still the best way to get a job in a highly educated market like Seattle. I like Craigslist, but so many of the postings are garbage. Especially, as you look over a long period of time you'll notice the same BS postings come up over and over, month after month. Volt is a good suggestion as I've had some success with them in the past too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area