Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 20,049 times

Advertisements

Well Capitol hill is rough depends on what we are comparing it too.. Well to me I say Capitol Hill is rough for Seattle but not rough for the US.. If you compare Capitol hill to like some of the crazy places in L A or Oakland then Capitol hill feels like Beverly hills to me haha.. I would say I like Belltown and Bellevue for my favorite places in Seattle..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 PM

402 posts, read 1,022,338 times
Lived in WA for 9-10 years, though on the eastern portion of the state. Been to Seattle 20-30 times, and loved it each and every time. I think your perception of the city is going to be influenced by any preconcieved notions that you have prior to visiting it or living there. For instance, if you go to San Francisco and read up on how ultra liberal the city is, you are going to be out looking for alternative lifestyles around every corner. I know that mentaility definitely impacted my perception of the "Seattle Freeze" during a couple of my visits. After reading some of the posts regarding the subject, I began to look for it, and sure enough, I found people that were cold or uninviting. Had I not read up on the subject prior to visiting, I probably would have just ignored that vibe.

In terms of making friends, if you put the energy out I really get the feeling Seattle is no different than any other place. You have to put energy out in any city that you live in, or you'll never make friends. Gotta go out, experiment with different things, get into the culture of the city and expose yourself to different people and activities. Here in Sacramento I made couple of friends by going to a Hooka bar (somewhere I'd normally never go) and I tried swing dancing. Those same sorts of activities are in Seattle to explore, and many others I am sure that are unique to the city itself.

I do feel, however, that Seattle IS differeint in terms of daily interactions, such as making conversation at a grocery store, on a bus, etc., and I've noticed this is several visits to Seattle and in my time living in Washington state in general. Sure, people are polite enough, but try to extend the conversation past 2 or 3 exchanges and many of the folks get very uncomfortable. I guess this is a postiive or a negative dependant only upon how much you value day to day interactions. I think the phenomenon is real though, in the same way that New Yorkers' are a bit more brash and direct. Again, depending on your personality, that can be either a postiive or a negative. Every geographic location has different culteral norms than the next. I think you just have to adapt to them and make the best of what each city has to offer.

Last edited by Casportsfan; 07-05-2010 at 01:08 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 01:11 PM

402 posts, read 1,022,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBellevueman240 View Post
Ecovlke I do agree with you ever since I moved here I like to speak and smile at people to see what they will do and more than 50% of the time I get really good reactions. Now I do not try to start a full conversation about my life story but I just smile.. This girl in Bellevue looked to be in her own little world had this little dirty look on her face and rolled her eyes when I looked her way. I just spoke to her and said how is it going with a smile on my face.. She had to smile back and ask me how I was doing.. Then she stopped me and ask me for directions because she was trying to find some place that her GPS said should be in this area but was really a few more blocks down haha. I just made a little joke about her GPS being a drug addict made her laugh. So I helped her out and she looked like the weight of the world had been lifted off her shoulders when we found the place she was looking for. She could of been one those ladies that are used to guys trying to pick her up and thought I was going to do that instead of helping her.. See most people would of just thought she was snooty or rude. Sometimes people are just going thru things in life or they are just stressed from everyday life so they just take it out on the world. If nobody in Seattle is smiling at you then you start smiling and speaking to people first. You would be surprised at how many people are like you just looking for a friendly face.. I had the same thing that happen in a store in Seattle this guy acted like he was so much above everybody and despite his rudeness I was making jokes the whole time he was helping me and he started laughing.. Once he loosen up he started talking more and being friendly. He even asked me about the product I bought from him when I came back to the store.. .
Exactly! Well done. I think maybe the difference is that Seattlites are a bit more prone to keeping it locked in. People are people though, and if you approach any situation the right way you're bound to get something good out of it.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:55 AM

52 posts, read 200,449 times
Why do people want to move to a city based on TV shows or movies?
Frasier wasn't even filmed here, just as Twilight isn't filmed anywhere near Forks.

Cons: The truth is Seattle is going to be a culture shock to you if your from the South. The wacko liberal element runs wild there and your going to see lapses of common sense that boggle the mind. You'll get lots of social nannies there who are going to constantly remind you to recycle, not to smoke, drink, or eat red meat. The local news media have the bad habit of talking to the viewers as if they were five year olds in day care. The women aren't bad providing you stick to the old "hit it two times n quit it" approach. You all also have to deal with a lot of Prius driving, soccer watching metrosexual types who are all trying to get in touch with their feminine nature
Pros: The scenery is great, fishing is excellent, and once you get out of King County you start finding more common sense minded people and less nannies and ass clowns that you find in Seattle. Lots of microbrew too!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:52 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,572,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Thanks in advance for any input!
Brevity is key to effective communications, be they questions or answers.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:26 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,063,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalsteelheader View Post
Why do people want to move to a city based on TV shows or movies?
Frasier wasn't even filmed here, just as Twilight isn't filmed anywhere near Forks.

Cons: The truth is Seattle is going to be a culture shock to you if your from the South. The wacko liberal element runs wild there and your going to see lapses of common sense that boggle the mind. You'll get lots of social nannies there who are going to constantly remind you to recycle, not to smoke, drink, or eat red meat. The local news media have the bad habit of talking to the viewers as if they were five year olds in day care. The women aren't bad providing you stick to the old "hit it two times n quit it" approach. You all also have to deal with a lot of Prius driving, soccer watching metrosexual types who are all trying to get in touch with their feminine nature
Pros: The scenery is great, fishing is excellent, and once you get out of King County you start finding more common sense minded people and less nannies and ass clowns that you find in Seattle. Lots of microbrew too!
Speaking as a gay male and mostly liberal, (although I don't drive a Prius), I don't smoke...but I do eat red meat, and will drink a few beers on occasion mod cut:

mod interpose: To those reading (and participating) in this thread, please remember that everybody is entitled to state their opinion. Please take it as just that ...that particular member's OPINION. Not everybody will see things the same way. One person stating their opinion does not make it a fact. Those seeking to gain this sort of information on any location, please weigh each poster's opinion and come to your own conclusion.

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-06-2010 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: explain why ...otherwise, baiting

Old 07-08-2010, 12:47 AM

5 posts, read 12,481 times
I definitely agree to suggest you take a few trips out here during different times of the year, and see what you think first. I lived in California all my life, got tired of the traffic and cost of living etc. etc. Came to Seattle in August 1989 to visit a friend who had moved here from L.A. It was Seafair weekend in August, the weather was awesome, the town was in a party mood. I found a house with a view of the lake for $100K, and there was no turning back. I went back to L.A., sold my condo, quit my job and moved here by November. Then it snowed for about a month, the weather was lousy, and I couldn’t find a job. BUT, I persevered and am still here, with few regrets. Many people visit Seattle in the summer and find utopia. Then they move here and gripe the rest of the year about the weather and traffic. I think it’s still one of the better cities on the west coast, but Portland is also another city to consider. Do your homework, take a few trips, and then decide what’s right for you.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 AM

807 posts, read 2,261,164 times
Whats this about social nannies getting mad if you drink? Umm...have you ever BEEN to Seattle? Try NOT drinking for a week here and see what happens to your social life.

And red meat? That must be an over-thirty-five thing because the vegetarian backlash has been in full swing for a couple years now with the younger set. Everyone eats every kind of meat and wants everyone else to notice.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:53 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,822,632 times
I just wanted to follow up since last year.

I know it has been quite some time, so I'm sorry if it seems poor mannered to take so long to respond.

I just wanted to thank all of you for your input on this thread. It took off with a life of its own. In skimming the Seattle sub-forum, I notice a more even opinion of things, meaning that the sub-forum is neither overwhelmingly positive (i.e.: Kentucky, Tennessee, Minnesota) or overwhelmingly negative (i.e.: Florida, Detroit). These posts really give me something to think about if I choose to relocate to the Pacific Northwest.

I may have some federal interviews lined up out that way in a few weeks. (**Fingers crossed.**) Of course, that would mean a visit!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,534,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
i've lived in seattle, tacoma, and bremerton all at different times in my life and i certainly don't think anyone from the south would enjoy the PNW only becasue they are use to friendly people. and the PNW people are NOT friendly. they are sullen, they rarely have a smile and and friendly hello when they encounter people. just look at the checkout stands at your local stores and see how many people greet each other with a smile or a hello or conversation................RARELY do you see people greet each other like that. and in the south that is second nature.
I totally disagree. I lived in NC until age 30, and then moved to Seattle. The PNW has friendly people like any other place. In fact, I found the friendliness more genuine out here when compared to the South.

To the OP -- you should move out here. You're 24, have lots of life ahead of you, and it's time for an adventure (ie. before you marry and have kids). Ron Reagan's son actually lives in Seattle, but he's a Democrat as you know. Your politics are inconsequential, for though most are liberal, people don't really discuss party affiliation or religion in Seattle. These are considered private issues.

Yes, there are dreary winters. The summers are gorgeous beyond belief. The mountains are snow capped today, the sky was sunny, and flowers and greenery are everywhere. People here love the outdoors, and on a good day you will see lots of bikes, kayaks, sailboats, and seaplanes. We are surrounded by wildlife, including seals, bald eagles and other birds, starfish, jellyfish...and sea lions or whales can be seen from the surrounding islands (& whales have even been spotted from West Seattle!). Summer nights find people of all kinds around bonfires on the beaches (ex. Golden Gardens, Alki Beach), cooking hotdogs, playing instruments, dancing, just hanging out. Lots of musicians found on downtown streets, farmers markets in every neighborhood on summer weekends (and selected neighborhoods all year round), parks/kids in most neighborhoods, several dog parks, coffee shops and independent stores everywhere, plenty to do. Freedom to be yourself, whoever that is.

I could go on, but it's late here & I need to get sleep.

Move out, you won't regret it. If you decide it's not for you after a year, nothing is lost while fun/exploration has been gained. It builds character to experience a different culture & new way of living/thinking for a while, in my opinion.

Last edited by west seattle gal; 05-04-2011 at 11:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area