Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:14 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I loved "Them!". I could watch it over and over and I have.
Wasn't that the one about the giant ants? There were loads of films about giant mutant creatures, usually the result of atomic radiation testing or science gone terribly wrong.

- Tarantula
- The Deadly Mantis
- The Black Scorpion
- The Giant Gila Monster
- The Killer Shrews
- The Giant Leeches

If you enjoy B-Movies, here's a website with hilarious reviews, pics, sound bites, and video clips. I especially like the section of "What I Learned From This Movie".

Badmovies.org B-Movie Reviews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 12:52 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Wasn't that the one about the giant ants? There were loads of films about giant mutant creatures, usually the result of atomic radiation testing or science gone terribly wrong.

- Tarantula
- The Deadly Mantis
- The Black Scorpion
- The Giant Gila Monster
- The Killer Shrews
- The Giant Leeches

If you enjoy B-Movies, here's a website with hilarious reviews, pics, sound bites, and video clips. I especially like the section of "What I Learned From This Movie".

Badmovies.org B-Movie Reviews
I too remember the show and the movies you mention...Anyone remember...I think..."The Monolith Monsters"...about "rocks" that grew larger and taller with rain...would fall/crash over; destroying everything and then new ones growing from all the broken pieces???..I'm gonna try and find it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8gSTiWKm6A Wow I even remembered the title...my neurons are firing today....LOL...ENJOY it's a "hoot".

Old 11-28-2009, 05:50 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,839,572 times
I almost look at "Them!" as being on the bottom rung of A movie. It was one of the first of its type and had fairly descent acting. James Arnes was the big guy in the movie. It creeped me out when the police officedr was left behind and then killed by ants, behind the store. Out of sight, but you could hear the scream. And then you saw his skeleton on the ant mound.

I still get creeped out at night, thinking about the noise the ants made with their antennaes.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I almost look at "Them!" as being on the bottom rung of A movie. It was one of the first of its type and had fairly descent acting. James Arnes was the big guy in the movie. It creeped me out when the police officedr was left behind and then killed by ants, behind the store. Out of sight, but you could hear the scream. And then you saw his skeleton on the ant mound.

I still get creeped out at night, thinking about the noise the ants made with their antennaes.

Almost? "Them!" was well past the bottom rung of being an A-movie and rightfully crowned along with other notables of the classic B-movies. Agreed, the sound was, well, different. What was especially effective (as a B-movie) was the bobbing of their heads in the closeups of ant-like Howdy Doody puppets. I could almost swear you could see the wires attached.

At the conclusion after all the giant ants and their eggs were finally destroyed in their nest (which I think was an old abandoned mine), the townspeople relax in safety and comfort. And in classic B-movie fashion, the camera pans over the dry Southwest desert to reveal new mounds and more chirping.

Things I learned from this movie:
- Radiation from atomic bomb testing can turn ants into the size of school buses.
- Ants make chirping sounds like crickets.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 AM

I just ordered the Science Fiction Theatre collection. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I just ordered the Science Fiction Theatre collection. I hope I'm not disappointed.

I think you'll find them to be quite entertaining and nostalgic. They may be crappy B-movies compared to the standards of today, but they're still loads of fun and guffaws to see. I don't know if either of these two films are included, but if so, you're in for a real treat. A couple of time travel films that can cause frequent wincing at the horrible acting, music, sound effects, special effects, story line, and surprise endings. These are two MUST SEE classics for any serious collector of older Sci-Fi B-movies.

- The Time Travelers (1964)
- Journey to the Center of Time (1967)

Old 12-08-2009, 12:01 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,373 times
Quote:
I don't think you will be - I will adjust my earlier enthusiasm in that most of the episodes in the first two discs I've watched so far are just OK in terms of picture and sound, but it is a show over 50 years old so I cut it some slack.

The budgets for the episodes were very low, so be prepared for some not-so-special effects. I do like that since effects are kept to a minimum, it lets the focus be on the story. Two standout stories I like so far are: "Y.O.R.D." and "Time Is Just A Place".

If you want to see a SF series done in a very different way from Twilight Zone or Outer Limits - this show may be a hidden gem.

Plus, the experiment where host Truman Bradley turns a glass of liquid into a crystal with a tuning fork was just so cool!

Old 12-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Cougfan: Wasn't there also a host with white hair that hosted SFT for a time. I think his name was Baker? Or did he host a competing series?

Old 12-08-2009, 03:03 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,373 times
Quote:
Cougfan: Wasn't there also a host with white hair that hosted SFT for a time. I think his name was Baker? Or did he host a competing series?
I only have gone thru 2 of the 10 discs so far - so there may have been another host - but I only remember Truman Bradley for SFT from watching it in my younger days.

Maybe Baker was the host for One Step Beyond?? I remebmer that show had a host but I sure can't remember who it is at this time.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I just figured out who the old white hair host was. He was Art Baker and he hosted "You Asked for It" in the 1950's

Art Baker

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology