Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:04 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,600,699 times

Advertisements

As a sort of girly girl growing, I never took shop classes or summer jobs doing construction and such. So, I'm starting a small part-time business and one of the pieces of equipment is a bench grinder. I would like to be portable with this line of work, but I don't know what I need to get the bench grinder off the bench in my house and onto a table at a flea market without a plug-in and make it work.

What I've figured out so far is that I'll need a generator or work it off a battery of some sort. I've read things about inverters and don't know how they figure into it. I do know my sister says that her big generator will blow out her microwave if she tries to nuke something while on generator power, and I don't want to ruin my grinder motor because I'm using a wrong hook-up/power source.

Can anyone tell me or point me to some good basics of setting up something like this? Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,193,209 times
Does your grinder work only off of DC voltage? That's what batteries supply....

If your grinder plugs into a wall outlet get something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powermate...ct_description

Old 07-12-2013, 04:34 AM

Yes, it does plug into a wall outlet. That picture you've posted seems like overkill for intermittent use of an 8" bench grinder. I was hoping that I could get something small, quiet and not too fume-y.

I think I need to keep researching; I'd like to understand the process!

Old 07-12-2013, 04:53 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,922,759 times
What is it you are grinding ?
how long does it take ?
what precision is involved?

Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,922,759 times
Generally speaking just to run a bench grinder assuming it is 3/4 HP and there are other things that you will enevitably will want to run as well like lights or refrigerator and such I wouldn't recomend any thing less than 3500 watt generator.
Honda makes the most reliable and almost the most quiet units available.
Any good generator is going to cost you, and it will take some learning to appreciate what you can and cannnot do with it ,and how to take care of it .
And no matter how people beg you never compromise loaning or letting others running stuff while you are in operation.
For that matter you are not a public utility .
A generator is like a car or any other piece of machinery and in time wear and tear begin to take their tole,the closer you run things to it limits the faster it will age,and vise versa. Usually I prefir a generator twice, or better ,as large as required for this reason.
Your motors in a grinder or refrigerator have asignificantly higher starting amperage ,up to 4 times the full load running amperage .
People burn up air compressor motors and the generator because of this issue.
Remember to use fuel stablizers when ever you fill it ,for a couple of reasons .
Generators usually set dormant for long periods of time ,gas ages.
Generators get very warm while in operation and there is vibration , this also excellerates the age of fuel.
Stablizers help deal with moisture but it is also important to keep the fuel tank full to reduce moisture from accumulating in it .
Water ,even little bits are not your friend neither is alcohol laden fuels which are usually water laden as well.
Water will rust the fuel tank and corrode the carborator bowl .
Beyond the leak that is enevatable due to corosion the corosion will create a debris breaking down the float valve seal .
If you are storing fuel in gas cans ,especially for this operation ,NEVER empty the storeage vessel in the fuel tank ,and you may avoid inadvertantly dumping water in.
And yes you can get water directly from the pump , it happens.
I hope this helps
Humid atmospheres tend to be more troublesome in this area, but all areas can have problems.
I have been a small engine mechanic most of my life, and my family has an air compressor shop we work on generators as well.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I've read things about inverters and don't know how they figure into it.
An inverter will take 12 volt current from a car battery and convert it to 120 volt for your grinder.

Quote:
What is it you are grinding ?
how long does it take ?
what precision is involved?
That's the questions that need answering. They have battery operated grinders but they are hand held.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
A bench grinder is an odd bit of equipment. Normally it is very intermittent in use, but takes a high current draw. Something smaller, like a dremel tool, takes minimal current and yet can put an edge on a blade. Setting up a generator in a flea market is going to make you a pariah. What you could do instead is make a pedal powered one, something like this:

or buy an antique one.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 PM

Thanks, everyone. This is really helpful for me. I am starting a knife sharpening business and that's what the grinder is used for. Speed = volume = profits in such a business. I've got an Apex for hand honing blades, but that wouldn't be fast enough to do 6 or more dull blades an hour. With a grinder and a variety of wheels & rouges, I can set up and polish an 18 degree edge very quickly.

Maybe an inverter and battery setup would be better for me.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Can you park your car close?

Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 PM

In the places I've scoped out, it's very hit or miss if I could get a close-enough space, or be able to idle the car enough to run equipment without creating an issue from exhaust fumes.

But with all the good info you fellas have given me, I've been reading and googling and it looks like I can get a decent sine wave inverter and battery and battery charger for the biz all for less than $500, and probably under $350. That's great!

I really appreciate all the help I've gotten. Thank you all so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology