Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 02:35 AM

6,932 posts, read 6,866,775 times

Advertisements

Is there any way to pinpoint and measure anything like this?

I realise this is a strange request but I would like to find out what is involved in being able to do this. Is this the kind of thing that HAARP is doing? Would it need a huge array of aerials to detect any anomalies and where they are? Could it be done with (almost) back-yard materials? Are there relatively cheap electronic detectors which are sensitive enough to pick up changes in magnetic density or flux in a column of atmosphere or in a particular direction?

I want to stress that I am not really interested in measuring magnetic fields which are close to the detector such as magnets or magnetised devices, but I want to measure magnetic disturbances or anomalies in the atmosphere above me.

I guess it is not like direction-finding equipment where you have two (or three) aerials and then measure the signal strength between them.

We probably have some folks on here who are in the right kind of areas of science who would know this information, so any information about whether this is possible or practical for a hobbyist would be very useful please.

Thanks,
Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Magnet field strength is highly local to the source. You can take a small magnet and a compass and see how quickly the effect extinguishes with distance. The earth's field is large because the poles are far apart and the energies involved significant. For someone to duplicate this even on a smallish scale of a few hundred yards would be impractical.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,071 times
Experiment 1

First you can hang a bar magnet on a thread and fix a little mirror in the middle of the magnet . The magnet will turn back and forth at first, but then stop along the direction of the magnetic field. If you point a narrow beam of light to the mirror (e.g. use a laser light), you can see the movement of the magnet by the movement of the reflected light on the wall or on the shade. The movement of the magnet tells you the magnetic field lines are changing their direction, and that is an indication of possible Northern lights.
You have to make this experiment in such a place where you can eliminate as many disturbances as possible. The most efficient way to eliminate the disturbances (e.g. air currents) is to place the magnet in a closed glass jar.

Experiment 2

Another experiment you can make in a garden or a forest. The ground has to be damp. If you bury two half square meter metal sheets (e.g. plumb) into the ground and measure ground currents caused by the changing magnetic field, Northern lights may be found in the sky again. The scientists have found a connection between the magnetic field of the Earth, more specific the disturbances in it and the aurorae. The disturbances cause changes also in the ground currents. You can put the metal sheets in two pots filled with salted soil, too. Then bury these pots in the damp ground at about 100-300 m distance. Measure the current between them. You can also connect the metal sheets to the computer and make some measurings at short or long intervals . This data can be analyzed using the special computer program and the results can be presented as different kinds of diagrams or as a table.

Experiment 3

The most simple way to measure some changes in the air is to hit two nails into a tree at different levels from the ground. Then you can measure the voltage between these two nails.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:22 AM

6,932 posts, read 6,866,775 times
Thank you both for your thoughts on this.

The idea behind this question was to try to find out if any anomalous craft might be appearing in our atmosphere . It is said that these craft are running on magnetic or gravatational flux changes and I was interested to find out if these craft could be detected.

I know that nothing like this has been proved to exist yet, and many people pooh-pooh the idea even existing, but I feel that there is some significant circumstancial evidence for the existance of these craft in our atmosphere.

I was hoping that in my unscientificly educated way, that a couple of aerials and a bit of electronics would somehow magically detect these craft in our upper skies.

The detecting of potential Northern Lights is interesting and is obviously marked by a huge energy release in the atmosphere, however, it looks as if the detecting of a single craft modifying the magnetic or gravitational flux local to itself would not be easily detected.

If possible, I dont really want to get into a debate or argument about the existence of these craft at the moment because it would come down to beliefs and neither side appears to 'win' in these situations.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Is there any way to pinpoint and measure anything like this?
Earth Magnetic Anomaly Grid

Why duplicate what has already been done unless you don't trust THEM....

Quote:
I realise this is a strange request but I would like to find out what is involved in being able to do this. Is this the kind of thing that HAARP is doing? Would it need a huge array of aerials to detect any anomalies and where they are? Could it be done with (almost) back-yard materials? Are there relatively cheap electronic detectors which are sensitive enough to pick up changes in magnetic density or flux in a column of atmosphere or in a particular direction?
Check this out:

Magnetic Flux Density - Developer Zone - National Instruments

Suggested reading on HAARP:

HAARP Home Page

Quote:
I want to stress that I am not really interested in measuring magnetic fields which are close to the detector such as magnets or magnetised devices, but I want to measure magnetic disturbances or anomalies in the atmosphere above me.
How much money are you willing to spend? $100,000.00? $500,000.00?

Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
The idea behind this question was to try to find out if any anomalous craft might be appearing in our atmosphere . It is said that these craft are running on magnetic or gravatational flux changes and I was interested to find out if these craft could be detected.

I know that nothing like this has been proved to exist yet, and many people pooh-pooh the idea even existing, but I feel that there is some significant circumstancial evidence for the existance of these craft in our atmosphere.
Have you checked out this forum to see what they have done to detect UFO's/flying saucers using magnetic drives in our atmosphere?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unexp...es-paranormal/

NFN but you might want to get familiar with Earth first before you look up at the sky and UFO's for answers.......

http://sedonanomalies.com/Geomagnetism.htm

Quote:
Earth itself acts as a magnet. The Earth's magnetic field extends about 36,000 miles (58,000 km) into space, generated from the spinning effect of the electrically conductive core that acts something like a giant electromagnet. In earlier geologic history the field was 20 times stronger. Movement of the liquid and the solid parts of the Earth's core generate an electric potential, making the planet a sort of an electric generator. We have evolved in the presence of this magnetic field, the magnetosphere that also protects us from solar radiation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology