Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 10:33 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,988,239 times

Advertisements

I was reading about the increasing acidification of oceans and how huge numbers of fish are dwindling fast. I wondered if at some point in the future things could get so dire that large bodies of water would have to be turned into virtual fish sanctuaries and hatcheries and then the idea of shutting off Hudson Bay at its narrow mouth with a giant dam at McCall island and stretching north to the tip of land above it (or some similar nearby narrow stretch) might have to become a reality in order to keep acidification from reaching the Bay and keep enough salt-water fish alive to continue feeding populations.

Granted, this would take engineering techniques we don't currently possess but they would have to be developed in the face of a looming ocean cataclysm.

Feasible, or so off-the-charts crazy that it doesn't even warrant comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,150,504 times
The gulf coast is already a "Dead Sea". Fish are not thriving like they should be -- not enough oxygen, probably.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:29 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,988,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
The gulf coast is already a "Dead Sea". Fish are not thriving like they should be -- not enough oxygen, probably.
Hmmmm, yeah....the Gulf could not be closed off. The Hudson Bay could if there was the technology to close off the narrow strait, which is similar to Gibralter---and I think engineers toyed with Gibralter for a while.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
We could throw some giant Tums into our water. Donate to Tums research.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,150,504 times
BP and maybe others, used bacteria to eat the oil, but otherwise there is no change. I recently saw an ad by BP. They showed a guy on a nice boat catching a nice fish, but I didn't buy that. I had read another article talking about how lean the fish are, and that the good tasting fish are the ones with fat content.

But what the heck? May as well throw a few tons of tums out there...

Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,584,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
BP and maybe others, used bacteria to eat the oil, but otherwise there is no change. I recently saw an ad by BP. They showed a guy on a nice boat catching a nice fish, but I didn't buy that. I had read another article talking about how lean the fish are, and that the good tasting fish are the ones with fat content.

But what the heck? May as well throw a few tons of tums out there...
Seen the movie Avatar? Remember how real that looked every time you see something like that ad.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,867,604 times
We could stop fishing the hell out of the oceans with very high-yield netting techniques for one. Not taking more from the environment than it can replace is a foreign concept to "civilized man" I know, but it just might work...

Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 AM

21,254 posts, read 19,865,621 times
Do you have a link to substantiate the claim that the number of fish are dwindling fast? Not doubting you, but I had not heard this and would be interested in learning more.

Even if the Hudson were dammed, wouldn't the bay still become acidic? Not all runoff from land flows into the Hudson; some goes directly to the ocean.

Seems to me it would be more effective to deal with the pollution at its source: factory drainage, storm drains, air pollution, banning certain chemicals, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology