Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 01:50 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The kind of changes with the singularity will fundamentally change society in a way that we have never experienced. Honestly no one knows what life will be like after the singularity and that is why we call it that excpet to say life will be very different then the way it is now.
I think movies like The Matrix and The Terminator series have turned people off on the idea of some AI controlled utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 04:01 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I think movies like The Matrix and The Terminator series have turned people off on the idea of some AI controlled utopia.
Maybe some but I think the complexity of the issue is a bigger turnoff for most people.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
A great TED talk on all this by Kevin Kelly, co-founder of Wired Magazine and recent author of ''What Technology Wants'', in which he describes technology as a near-living system, with ''imperatives'' that are actually shaping us, in much the same way that genes do.

Kevin Kelly: How technology evolves | Video on TED.com

Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,834 times
Quote:
Maybe some but I think the complexity of the issue is a bigger turnoff for most people.
Agreed. There are millions of cell phone owners out there but only about 0.000001% of them even understand how microprocessors and software work. Most people spend time thinking about paying taxes, going to the DMV to get their registration renewed, horendous school yard shootings etc...

Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Agreed. There are millions of cell phone owners out there but only about 0.000001% of them even understand how microprocessors and software work. Most people spend time thinking about paying taxes, going to the DMV to get their registration renewed, horendous school yard shootings etc...

Ya and the idea of information technology advancing exponintally and the impact it will have on society in such a short time is more then they can understand.

I was talking to a good friend about this who went to Stanford. He was arguing with me that it was not true so I just said go as your friends at Stanford as they are in the tech field. He said ok. When I talked to him later I asked him about that and he said ya they agreed with me but I could tell that while he understood the implications of it more was still not sure. Very interesting and the reaction I get from him is normal.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:15 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Partly because many of us don't believe it will happen, or think it will at least be several centuries.

Kurzweil's argument is based on false pretenses about the speed of computing. Read Herb Sutter's article called "The free Lunch is Over" (Google it.)
Why do you think it won't happen? How can you explain More's law and how computers have advanced exponentially since the first computer was built in 1890? Do you edxpect it to stop anytime soon and if so why?
Again, speed has not continued to increase exponentially. Read the article I mentioned.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Again, speed has not continued to increase exponentially. Read the article I mentioned.
I read the article while some of it was over my head I did grasp the basic understanding that he argues computers will not advance exponentially much longer and he is wrong. While technically More's law will come to a end around 2020 computers will continue to advance exponentially and will do so with new technologies like 3 D transistors and transistors that are coming out that are the size of atoms. It has done this since 1890 and will continue to do that for foreseeable future. More then likely they will still call it More's law as well as they will just expand the definition to include computers advancing exponentially not just the current computer chips as was the original deflation.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Did we do this one?
A Robot Teaches Itself How to Walk - YouTube

Machines teaching themselves to do things - I know we've touched on it, but this is interesting. It's similar to babies babbling while learning how to speak, going through all the sounds it can make many times.

The primary motivators of all living beings is pain vs pleasure ..... the simplest amoeba moves toward the food source because it will get pleasure from doing so ...... or move away from possible danger because fear is a type of pain.

If we create robots with various senses, and find some way to program pleasure and pain and emotions (whatever they are) as motivators, we'll soon be surpassed by our creations - even though the central processing unit would have to be a helluva lot bigger than ours.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 AM

^

That is amazing thanks for posting. Imagine what it will be like in 10 years!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 AM

There is another documentary out and I am going to download it and watch it on my I phone. It is called "The Singularity: Will we survive our Technology". If there is anything insightful in it I will post about it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology