Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:49 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,547,073 times

Advertisements

‪Prof. Michio Kaku on the Universe and Multiverse‬‏ - YouTube

‪Michio Kaku on the 'God Particle'‬‏ - YouTube

‪Part 07: String Theory To M-Theory‬‏ - YouTube

‪Part 08: M-Theory‬‏ - YouTube

‪Part 09: M-Theory‬‏ - YouTube

‪Part 10: M-theory‬‏ - YouTube

‪Part 11: M-theory‬‏ - YouTube

Michio Kaku - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 06:23 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,647,152 times
NightBazaar and PITTS you guys are great and know your stuff when it comes to physics !!

O.k. one last question and that is in relevance to my original question and that is are there any other elementary particle(s) that i should research about that is similar to a ''god particle'' e.g. atoms, neutrinos, quarks, protons/electrons etc ....

Old 07-31-2011, 11:19 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,645,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
NightBazaar and PITTS you guys are great and know your stuff when it comes to physics !!

O.k. one last question and that is in relevance to my original question and that is are there any other elementary particle(s) that i should research about that is similar to a ''god particle'' e.g. atoms, neutrinos, quarks, protons/electrons etc ....
The list of particles gives a good selection to browse through. I wouldn't be surprised there may be more exotic ones that haven't been thought of yet. It's kind of like the deeper we dig for answers, the more questions are discovered, layer after layer of unfamiliar strangeness.

There are other hypothetical particles that are predicted by supersymmetric theories, but none have been confirmed. Some things start getting into requirements of higher dimensions in order to work out correctly.

What we have as very efficient guides are the Standard Table of Elements (atoms) and Tables of Subatomic Particles. While the Higgs boson has been called the "god particle" by the press, it's not an accurate label. Everything has a function that contributes in one way or another to how the universe works.

As previously indicated, the Higgs boson has not yet been confirmed so we still don't actually know if Higgs bosons exist or not. Assuming that it does exists, then the way it works (as I understand) is that as particles pass through the Higgs field (containing the bosons), as elementary particles pass through it, the Higgs bosons sort of get in the way of the particles causing some particles to pass through more easily, and some to struggle more. It depends on the particles. I thought the illustration of using water was a good example. Fish are more streamlined and can pass through water more easily than a bulky person trying to walk through it. Even though the molecular density of water is exactly the same, the heavy person is slowed down because of coming into contact with more water molecules than the fish.

The end result is that this activity causes the creation of energy by the particles, which is then converted in to mass. Thus larger particles end up with more mass and smaller particles end up less. I'm using the words "larger" and "smaller" not in relation to size though. Some particles can be the same size, but can vary greatly in terms of weight (mass). Since both the Higgs field and the Higgs bosons cover all points all the time throughout the universe, all particles are always exposed to and passing through the Higgs field. Or at least that's my understanding of it.

Using the term "the god particle" is a bit misleading because it suggests that the Higgs boson is sort of the ultimate answer to the Theory of Everything. It's not. It only explains why particles have mass. It doesn't explain why particles exist in the first place.

I'm not sure there are any other elementary particles that are like the Higgs boson, so it would be difficult to find anything else to compare with it. That said, gravitons are thought to exist, but like the Higgs have not been confirmed to exist. Gravitons are different, in that they would be carriers or messengers of gravity (gravitational field), so that might be something to research. Higgs bosons are also carriers or messengers in the Higgs field that enable particles to have mass.

We still have no real idea why gravity is such a weak fundamental force. One hypothesis suggests that if there are other universes existing in a field called the "Bulk", then gravitons might be leaking out of the universe, perhaps into the Bulk or perhaps somehow related to another nearby universe, which suggests a multiverse. Or it could be that it's simply leaking into a dimension that's higher than the 4 dimensions of spacetime that we perceive.

If I'm way off base, maybe someone with more expertise can correct me.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Isn't that like trying to explain the difference between the Tooth Fairy and the Unicorn.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,849,652 times
Quote:
O.k. so if i'm following you here in that you believe that the God Particle is part of the ''big bang'' event and that String Theory is part of a multi-verse or am i wrong here?
Yes. Big bang is described as a single event, while multi-verse encapsulates such events on an ongoing basis (it doesn't theorize "God Particle").

Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Lol, some heavy stuff to grasp as physics never was my strong point in science non the less ii have a much better grasp now about string theory and the higgs boson as well as elementary particles.

Thanks again PITTS, NightBazaar and EinsteinsGhost .

Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,547,073 times
Quote:

Thanx 6 Foot!

I am not aware of any other particle/field that has nearly the "reach" and implications of the Higg's Boson...... and the only particles not affected by Higgs are Photons which appear to be without mass.

Gravitons...IF they exist would be right up there with the Higgs though since gravity is the only force we don't understand at all and has NOT been incorporated into the Weak/Strong and Electromagnetic theories; we cannot get a Theory Of Everything without incorporating gravity into the equation.......so that makes gravitons very important.

Like NB says....and IMHO......gravity is shared with other Universes within the Multi-Verse....... which makes it only "appear" to be weaker than the other 3 forces of nature but we don't really know much more than that.

It's a far bigger mystery....IMO....than the Higgs and keeps us from truly understanding how the Universe functions.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Thanx 6 Foot!

I am not aware of any other particle/field that has nearly the "reach" and implications of the Higg's Boson...... and the only particles not affected by Higgs are Photons which appear to be without mass.
PITTS, what about electrons having mass? Does electricity have mass as i would assume that it doesn't?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Like NB says....and IMHO......gravity is shared with other Universes within the Multi-Verse....... which makes it only "appear" to be weaker than the other 3 forces of nature but we don't really know much more than that.
Lisa Randall has an interesting thought concerning gravitons and a multiverse scenario. If another universe is close enough to ours, and it has more gravitons than ours, then it's possible the reason gravity in our universe is so weak could be the stronger gravitational force of the other universe is attracting gravitons from ours. It wouldn't necessarily attraact all, but possibly enough to explain why the gravitational force is so weak in comparison to the other forces in the universe.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
PITTS, what about electrons having mass? Does electricity have mass as i would assume that it doesn't?
Yes, it has mass, but it's the lowest mass of any charged lepton. Electrons belong to the first generation of fundamental particles.
Electron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology