Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:19 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,901,130 times

Advertisements

I do believe in technology that advances us as a species, but not technology that lets us be lazy and dependant.

We need more space ships and computer power, but less "conveniences" that let us turn the lights on and off or vaccum the floor without getting off our lazy asses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:24 PM

277 posts, read 628,743 times
If you go back in time a couple hundred years, people used to have to chop down trees to get wood for a fire to cook and stay warm, too bad electric grids and natural gas have turned us into lazy asses.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,270,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's a lot of paranoia in this thread.
I wouldn't consider it paranoia, just been around the block too many times and have seen how technology can be abused. Let's start with some examples of "unintended consequences", we have GPS on cameras and they can insert this information into the meta data on images. I actually like this feature because it will allow someone to know where it was taken. I have family albums with images almost a hundred years old and it would be great to know where the image was taken. The downside of this of course is ANYONE can know where it was it taken unless that information is stripped.

Another example is copiers/scanners with hard drives, if you don't wipe them before disposal someone can retrieve that information. Suppose your doctor has one of these and someone purchases it used and they obtain your medical information? It's not paranoia, it's reality.

YouTube - Copy Machines, a Security Risk?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 AM

13,137 posts, read 22,901,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
If you go back in time a couple hundred years, people used to have to chop down trees to get wood for a fire to cook and stay warm, too bad electric grids and natural gas have turned us into lazy asses.
I know! Obesity is an epidemic! If we had to work for heat and electricty we'd all be buff for free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology