Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 09:57 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,967,479 times

Advertisements

Will be spending 3 days (end of January) in Savannah~will have a car but not opposed to parking it and utilizing trolley and free transport around Historic District. Would also like to venture out to Tybee Island and St. Simeons at least for part of one day.

What are the recommendations of "must see, must do, must eat, must experience"?

Booked the trip before realizing that Mrs. Wilkes is closed for January, I've been there but travel partner hasn't so I'm not too upset.

Thanks for your ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 PM

50,519 posts, read 64,471,095 times
Well, St. Simons is 1.5 hours away, so you can figure using up the whole day, if you go there.
January here can be a lovely 60 degrees, or bitterly cold, so that will play a part in your activities. The camellias should be in bloom on the squares.

A week or two before you come, go online on Thursdays and read the DO section of the newspaper. It will tell you what entertainment might be happening while you are in town.
If you are up for some walking, just spend a day walking the squares and visiting the bars, shops and restaurants you will pass along the way. I like to walk up Bull St, which bisects the historic district. You will pass several squares and good lunch places, like The Public.

I like to sit on River St and watch the container ships go by. If you like shopping, then Broughton St. is a few blocks south of River St.

If you drive to Tybee, about a half hour from the historic district, I suggest you have lunch or dinner at Paula Deens new restaurant, Creek House..used to be Uncle Bubba's. It is very nice.
Downtown restaurants are too numerous to mention, and I don't know your budget. We like 17hundred90 and The Chart House.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, St. Simons is 1.5 hours away, so you can figure using up the whole day, if you go there.
January here can be a lovely 60 degrees, or bitterly cold, so that will play a part in your activities. The camellias should be in bloom on the squares.

A week or two before you come, go online on Thursdays and read the DO section of the newspaper. It will tell you what entertainment might be happening while you are in town.
If you are up for some walking, just spend a day walking the squares and visiting the bars, shops and restaurants you will pass along the way. I like to walk up Bull St, which bisects the historic district. You will pass several squares and good lunch places, like The Public.

I like to sit on River St and watch the container ships go by. If you like shopping, then Broughton St. is a few blocks south of River St.

If you drive to Tybee, about a half hour from the historic district, I suggest you have lunch or dinner at Paula Deens new restaurant, Creek House..used to be Uncle Bubba's. It is very nice.
Downtown restaurants are too numerous to mention, and I don't know your budget. We like 17hundred90 and The Chart House.
Thank you again~these are great ideas...maybe skip St. Simons this time.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
Thank you again~these are great ideas...maybe skip St. Simons this time.
If you like museums, we have them. If you like historic homes, we have them. If you were a Girl Scout, here. You could do a whole theme visit on things in "the book" (Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil). If you like beer and booze, we have a nice new Bourbon Distillery which is down the street from a beer brewery. I've been on the Ghost Coast Distillery tour and it's worthwhile. Their bourbon is not ready, but their vodka is mighty fine.

So you aren't really giving us enough info to drill down, but when it gets closer, you could ask more specific questions. There are much more knowledgeable people than I lurking here.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you like museums, we have them. If you like historic homes, we have them. If you were a Girl Scout, here. You could do a whole theme visit on things in "the book" (Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil). If you like beer and booze, we have a nice new Bourbon Distillery which is down the street from a beer brewery. I've been on the Ghost Coast Distillery tour and it's worthwhile. Their bourbon is not ready, but their vodka is mighty fine.

So you aren't really giving us enough info to drill down, but when it gets closer, you could ask more specific questions. There are much more knowledgeable people than I lurking here.
Thanks again, we're pretty much open to anything; good food, good beer & booze, good arts/culture, good museums, good historical overview, the typical "touristy" things. I've been to Savannah, love "the book" theme idea, since I read it after I visited. The only thing we probably will avoid is "nightlife". Been there, done that.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:32 PM

Ya, well those who do "the book" tour wanted to see "the Lady Chablis" at Club One, but alas, she is no longer with us.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:43 AM

13,704 posts, read 22,023,612 times
Quote:
Thanks again, we're pretty much open to anything; good food, good beer & booze, good arts/culture, good museums, good historical overview, the typical "touristy" things. I've been to Savannah, love "the book" theme idea, since I read it after I visited. The only thing we probably will avoid is "nightlife". Been there, done that.
If you like good beer and booze, we have quite a few craft beer places now. Ghost Coast Distillery just went online with their first batch of premium vodka. The orange flavor is awesome! I also recommend Alley Cat Lounge and Artillery for fine spirits in elegant settings. In fact, we have a number of high-end drinking establishments where the art of bartending has been reborn. These area a mere sampling:

Circa 1875
48 Whitaker St, Savannah, GA 31401
(912) 443-1875
https://goo.gl/maps/UpJv1Z99TVS2

The Grey
109 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Savannah, GA 31401
(912) 662-5999
https://goo.gl/maps/DcqG5LvfxrT2

Alleycat Lounge
207 West Broughton Street Unit B, Savannah, GA, Savannah, GA 31401
(912) 677-0548
https://goo.gl/maps/JP9boKDUyHA2

Artillery
307 Bull St, Savannah, GA 31401
https://goo.gl/maps/mdv2zt4rJqF2

Old 11-01-2017, 06:59 PM

105 posts, read 108,480 times
Just watch your back

Old 12-27-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Heat View Post
Just watch your back
Why?

Old 12-29-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Why?
This person could be referring to the crime rate here. If you stay in well lit areas with other people, and don’t go buying drugs at 2 am in dark allies, you’ll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area