Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:17 AM

7,125 posts, read 11,768,058 times

Advertisements

^^^Sorry I'm not as supportive as the rest of the group. That's my nature and you must remember this is a forum of opinions. There are many instances that posts are supported by facts but in your particular case the subject matter, especially on the issue of safety, is subjective. ie; your level of tolerance vs. mine, and theirs.

In addition, "the culture" of Savannah was never discussed in this tread nor was it mentioned in your OP.
That's whole other element in the mix that you should research as an ex-New Yorker with a liberal leaning that you mentioned in your bio.

Again, sorry I don't give you the support you're looking for, but maybe that's a good thing.

Have a good day.

Last edited by pink caddy; 05-28-2014 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 11:55 AM

126 posts, read 123,036 times
Hazfora, I am probably close to your age and remember Savannah the way it was when I was a child, so my take on what is safe and what is not is very rusty and not very helpful. I also knew people in the 1970's who were in on the very first HD preservation and heard many stories of the challenges of that era.

I've spent time (daytime, mostly, some evenings) in Savannah for work reasons over the past 3 years, and I would be comfortable in some areas and very uncomfortable in others, just as I felt in Chicago. Shoot, I felt uncomfortable in parts of Seattle last year, but I have COPD and cannot run fast and like to know where I am--so I have found as I age, I am far less comfortable in unfamiliar urban territories than I was when I was young and working there and knew where I was and where I would not go.

I think you have gotten some interesting angles here to consider. Pink Caddy even offered to walk with you through the neighborhoods, which is really kind. I liked the idea about renting something and seeing for yourself for a year. But it would not take that long, if you wanted to just do recon--why not find a short term, 1-3 month summer rental and go down and see for yourself?

New York is probably a poor comparison (I don't know, having had fairly limited exposure to NY, but some) in that the areas are so much larger and so much more distinct--I would think New York would be more like Chicago, where I lived for many years.

I hope you can see your way clear to going down to Savannah and spending a block of time exploring and getting your bearings, so that you can see if it is for you or not.

That would be good advice for me, too!

Old 05-28-2014, 05:24 PM

11,449 posts, read 24,615,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
@Ellie

I have been researching places that would be interesting to live in. I have heard a lot of nice (and bad) things about Savannah, but what draws me to this city is the perception that the arts and culture are thriving there, with bohemian thrown in, if I'm not just being misled by the media. Besides, you have good seafood, right? And proximity to good beaches? And fishing? I have also been reading that urban renewal is going on there, and that is good news -- the Starland district, for example. I have family in Atlanta, so I'm not totally newbie about the South. I also like the ambiance and the architecture and the boulevards and charming tree-lined streets. Wouldn't you say it's a little like the Bohemian side of Paris and its charming alleys, like the Marais district before its gentrification? At least that's what I imagine looking at the photos of Savannah neighborhoods.

I have lived all of my working life in big cities and have been looking ever since I retired if I could find the same or similar charms of urban city living in a smaller and less expensive package. Savannah seems to fit the bill, don't you agree? I have traveled in foreign countries both for work and pleasure. Somehow I detect from your response that you think I'm clueless and unsophisticated. Forgive me, if my perception is wrong.
I'm finally taking the time to reread this response about why you want to move here...

Starland is a bum infested transitional neighborhood with one modern mixed use complex in the center that is still isolated by blocks of blight. I have friends who live there. Property crime, in particular, is horrendous.

As for Paris and the Marais, nope, it's nothing like the Marais before or after gentrification. The historic district lost most of its charm in the early 90's during its gentrification period. The Victorian District is neither cozy nor safe. I've lived in both. I now live elsewhere.

Nowadays the HD is crowded with tourists and expensive. It's almost, but not quite, completely sterilized of every funky aspect except horse urine. It can still be fun, but only if you know the right people. And you have yet to visit. Savannah is a old community made up of people with generations of intertwined relationships. it takes everyone awhile to find their niche. Most newcomers can live here for years and never socialize with a native. Don't sweat the where to live so much. You have to have an "in" to thrive.

Last edited by ellie; 05-28-2014 at 06:03 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,667 times
I am also looking to move from Florida to Savannah and want a safe area. If you ask a leasing agent they tell you to call the police for reports. I visited just a month ago and it reminded me of a mini,mini, mini NYC. Like one area of NY. I lived in NYc also from 1980-1992 and sold my businesses in 92 to move to CAlifornia. I really want to return to NYcC in baby steps. I have had large places for over 20 years and not so sure if a small place is for me. I do want a patio, I can pay up to 1500 for a 2 bedroom. I find the avg place is 1600. I can go to 31404 zip for under 1200 for 3 bedroom with fitness, pool, etc. I am so confused I would like to know where people who live in Savannah prefer. I am open, can pay a decent sum & also want to be close to a business area to open a day spa and a credit negotiating business. Main thing is safe and I feel historical felt safe in April 2014 to me. I stayed at the Marriott. It does worry me with 67 registered sex offenders in the zip 30401 and more than entire state. Why?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:50 PM

11 posts, read 19,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Exactly. I am about your age, and, the older I get, the more I want to get rid of stuff and get back to basics.

If you are willing to up your rent budget, still stay in 31401. Right now there are 28 listings under $1500. I would look at the E York St apts. and the E Charleton and a few others in those areas. There was a peachy one on Abercorn, on Lafayette Sq, but it's pending.
Hi, what listings are you looking at? I am also considering moving to Savannah, GA. What I would like to know is water and sewer usually included in rent? Trying to find out the cost of things and budget for it. Is gas and electric within the 50 to 100 dollar a month range? Also is public transportation easy to get in the 31401 zip code?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:45 AM

50,658 posts, read 64,776,014 times
Go to realtor.com and put in your parameters. I do not know what utilities are typically included. I live outside Savannah, but my water, sewer, trash is under $50. a month, but an apartment should be less. Electric could be steep in a drafty old historic building. There are bus routes downtown. You can walk or bike to get anything you need.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:21 AM

14 posts, read 27,138 times
Hey OP. I too am looking at relocating to the Savannah area. Luckily I have family there who is around downtown frequently and they give me the scoop oin how places are looking.

One particular thing I am finding handy in my search for the right place to live is google earth. Go to street view and drive the car around to get a realistic view of what the communities look like that your thinking about. Most of GE street view shots are taken wihtin last year or two so I think it's pretty representative of what the area might look like today.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:04 PM

5 posts, read 6,098 times
I'm widowed,54 yrs. Old thinking about moving too Savannah area next spring! I was there briefly in June for only 2days! Loved the locals I met! I'm looking too buy a home in a safe neighborhood that's dog friendly! That's an absolute must!!!! I told my brother that I was wanting too get away from Winters & Savannah area around $100,00.00 to $150,.000 max! He keep screaming about sand knats! He lived in the area around 35 yrs ago! Any suggestions ? I'm not looking to remarry just can't handle Winters!!

Old 07-04-2015, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 6,098 times
Default Wanting to relocate to Savannah area next spring 2016

I'd really like a more updated reply than 2014!!
I visited briefly in June for only 2days! Loved the locals I met!!!
I want to buy in the price range of$100,00.00. To max of $150,00.00 in a dog friendly safe neighborhood! I'm widowed age 54, not looking for another man just want away from winters!
I told my brother that lived in the area around 35 years ago & he kept talking about something called sand knats! I don't mind the heat prefer it too cold winters due to health issues!
Any advice on the downsides of Savannah ?

Old 07-05-2015, 04:45 AM

7,125 posts, read 11,768,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis Suggs View Post
I don't mind the heat prefer it too cold winters due to health issues!
Any advice on the downsides of Savannah ?
Why would you want to look at the"downsides" when you can solve your "health issue" and a change of life by buying a Roundtrip ticket to Savannah?

Sounds to me, with the limited infomation you posted, this could work for you. The $100,000 housing budget could find a very nice condo in a number of areas in and close to downtown or a house in the newer communities being build in an outlying area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area