Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 08:43 AM

86 posts, read 159,283 times

Advertisements

Experienced boaters,

I have no boating experience whatsoever... so here goes my questions for the day:
1-What are the desirable/undesirable feature to look for in buying/renting one?
2- Given a choice do you rent or buy one?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,110,850 times
Until you have a boat, and know that is what you really love, I would rent a few boats first. You can check out what you like before you buy. I have a boat that is perfect for the Chesapeake Bay. If I knew when I bought it I would be here, I would have a slightly different model.

Same with the boat dock. I would see if a home owner might be willing to rent you access to their lift and dock. There are many available, and someone might be willing to rent it to you cheaply. Once you have a boat, and a home on the water, then you can just relocate it there. I have a dock (concrete fixed), and a boat lift. You want that because you want to get the boat out of the water so that it doesn't become barnacle infested. Mine is easy to use, easily accessible, I can jump on and go any time I wish. I use it a lot.

When selecting a boat, make sure you consider what it is going to cost you in gas! That can be a huge detriment if you want to use it all the time. Make sure the gas, fits your budget, more than the boat. ;-) I have a motor that is perfectly sized for my boat, and runs all day on about 1/2 a tank of gas (60-gallon tank). With gas at $4.00 a gallon - you do the math. And, mine is affordable.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:10 AM

86 posts, read 159,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Until you have a boat, and know that is what you really love, I would rent a few boats first. You can check out what you like before you buy. I have a boat that is perfect for the Chesapeake Bay. If I knew when I bought it I would be here, I would have a slightly different model.

Same with the boat dock. I would see if a home owner might be willing to rent you access to their lift and dock. There are many available, and someone might be willing to rent it to you cheaply. Once you have a boat, and a home on the water, then you can just relocate it there. I have a dock (concrete fixed), and a boat lift. You want that because you want to get the boat out of the water so that it doesn't become barnacle infested. Mine is easy to use, easily accessible, I can jump on and go any time I wish. I use it a lot.

When selecting a boat, make sure you consider what it is going to cost you in gas! That can be a huge detriment if you want to use it all the time. Make sure the gas, fits your budget, more than the boat. ;-) I have a motor that is perfectly sized for my boat, and runs all day on about 1/2 a tank of gas (60-gallon tank). With gas at $4.00 a gallon - you do the math. And, mine is affordable.
Ha ha, I love the fuel economy comment Is your concrete dock and lift low maintenance?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:25 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,017,836 times
At the dock you will want both water and electric hookups. Do NOT buy/rent a dock without them. A lift is preferrable so you can get the boat out of the water for cleaning, flushing with fresh water, and to avoid barnacles (as BH mentioned). Just make sure you grease the lift at least a couple of times a year. I can't tell you how many people's lifts screach loudly and they do nothing about it. There are multiple fittings on bearings, pulleys, and the gear reduction boxes. Get them all with a marine grease and your lift will operate quietly and last a long time.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:23 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,110,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCheap View Post
Ha ha, I love the fuel economy comment Is your concrete dock and lift low maintenance?
Mine are, I probably haven't needed to, but I have my lift serviced once a year, and its like $60.00. This year, just because I wanted them, I added some aluminum walk boards on the sides of the boat. I recommend having them, but they can be costly. My dock hasn't required any work or maintenance, but eventually the wood piles will need to be replaced. They have some PVC shields that you can by to keep them from getting damaged by sea worms. I haven't done that yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area