Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM

2,000 posts, read 10,596,147 times

Advertisements

It's so great to live somewhere where you can do your own thing always. It surely wasn't like that in Houston or Chicago or DC. I'm gonna love it there I know.
Went to a Bealle's (sp?) about 27 years ago a few times and really did not like their clothing, which I thought was too dowdy then. I'm sure they have an appeal to a certain segment of the population just like, say, Forever21 does or Macy's does. But it just wasn't me.
Florida sounds very free in many ways, but I wonder if certain cities like Naples or Boca Raton where it is more affluent isn't more constrained in attitude (i.e., if you don't wear such-and-such you are looked at as an outsider)?
I want to do my own thing and I just love junking and thrift stores! I'll probably have a blast there, because when you look at where all the thrift stores are there it follows the coastline around the State. How fun to take road trips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:09 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,847,743 times
Default Beall's (pronounced "bells")

I LOVE Beall's and I am 50-something, normal weight. IMO they have really gotten less dowdy in the last 2 years or maybe it's because I moved OUT of Naples into Sarasota County.

I like the Columbia line for women for outdoors casual. And by looking around I can usually find something in a short skirt, I like skorts.

Where I live it's either Walmart or Beall's and I just brought home some black jeans from Walmart yesterday. Wish Target were closer though.

About wearing white. Gonna put on my white jeans and blue-green top and hit the town Thursday night.

If you want designer duds go to SteinMart. I spent an hour and a half and tried on 20 things and came home with the blue-green top and 2 pairs of shoes. SM has GOOD shoes in fun Florida colors.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:32 AM

100 posts, read 146,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
This may be one of your dumber questions, but do folks in that area wear white clothing/shoes/purses/whatever ALL year around? Seems to be as if they would since it is Flah-rida...but maybe I'm wrong.
How long is the season there to wear white clothing?????
I don't think the white after Memorial Day and not after Labor Day rule applies here!
I've seen white work year round!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debvic View Post
What makes you limit your opinion to the women here? I can tell you some men are equally ill dressed for their body type.
Speaking of body types . . . I am having an awful time finding clothes to fit, I mean really fit good.
The waist fits, the butt is too big, the thigh room swims and so on.
If I buy average, they are too long, if I buy petite, yep, too short!
What is a woman supposed to do?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:25 PM

70 posts, read 246,756 times
Wink Bealls

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
I LOVE Beall's and I am 50-something, normal weight. IMO they have really gotten less dowdy in the last 2 years or maybe it's because I moved OUT of Naples into Sarasota County.

I like the Columbia line for women for outdoors casual. And by looking around I can usually find something in a short skirt, I like skorts.

Where I live it's either Walmart or Beall's and I just brought home some black jeans from Walmart yesterday. Wish Target were closer though.

About wearing white. Gonna put on my white jeans and blue-green top and hit the town Thursday night.

If you want designer duds go to SteinMart. I spent an hour and a half and tried on 20 things and came home with the blue-green top and 2 pairs of shoes. SM has GOOD shoes in fun Florida colors.

I love Bealls, the regular store, the outlet and the clearance.. I have gotten some of the best buys on very expensive clothes as the clearance store. Also shop at the outlet and big Bealls every week!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:27 PM

On the show What Not To Wear..they have a big sign up on the start of the show..saying.. You Can Wear Whites after Labor Day..so whites all year long..

Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 AM

2,000 posts, read 10,596,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagal View Post
Speaking of body types . . . I am having an awful time finding clothes to fit, I mean really fit good.
This is where you have to go to a tailor, and they can be cheaper than you think.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
It's so great to live somewhere where you can do your own thing always. It surely wasn't like that in Houston or Chicago or DC. I'm gonna love it there I know.
Went to a Bealle's (sp?) about 27 years ago a few times and really did not like their clothing, which I thought was too dowdy then. I'm sure they have an appeal to a certain segment of the population just like, say, Forever21 does or Macy's does. But it just wasn't me.
Florida sounds very free in many ways, but I wonder if certain cities like Naples or Boca Raton where it is more affluent isn't more constrained in attitude (i.e., if you don't wear such-and-such you are looked at as an outsider)?
I want to do my own thing and I just love junking and thrift stores! I'll probably have a blast there, because when you look at where all the thrift stores are there it follows the coastline around the State. How fun to take road trips!
If you havent been to Bealls for 27 years, you realy should check out their stores! I was there yesterday and bought 2 great outfits!! I love Bealls!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:55 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,066,543 times
Default I thought it was only me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagal View Post
I have the same problem so switched to those stretch jeans and pants. It's the only way to get a reasonably good fit. But tops are another story. I gave up trying to get a good fit. If the shoulders fit it's too tight across my chest. If the fit across my chest is good, the shoulders are falling off..... And many are just to darn short and wont stay in my pants. Even too short over-blouses look tacky. I think some of us just have a bit out of the ordinary shapes.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
This is where you have to go to a tailor, and they can be cheaper than you think.
I've checked into several and so far they are asking two times what I paid for the outfit!
Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area