Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,990 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice as to whether my wife, my 4 month old, and I should relocate from Chicago to the Sarasota area? I am in field sales, so I work out of my home and my wife is a flight attendant who can work anywhere. Chicago's cost of living is very high and we would like to get away from the fast paced city life and settle down in a community. My wife is from Tennesse as well, so the cold weather doesn't sit real well with her. Anyway, we would like to rent for a year (we currently pay 1100 per month for a very small apartment). Eventually, we plan to get into a 3 bed 2 bath home for under 300k. We want affordability, community, and an easier, healthier lifestyle with outdoors activities...plus I love to fish.

Is this a smart move to head to Florida? Do we just have the winter blues and are pulling the trigger too fast? Is this a good place to start our family....probably the most important question?

Any advice would be welcome. We also like the Carolina's, Colorado, and Tennessee. My folks will be settling down in NW Florida (Ormond Beach) in the next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 11:01 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
the key point form so many florida no lover is the poor employemnt. IF you both have secure jobs then go for it. the cost and standcard of living is fantastic and you get year round sun (except the last week).

300k will get you a very nice pool home -depending on location . you might also look a bit further south (north port/Punta gorda) which are closer to Fort Myers airport -better for your wife ??

Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyWy View Post
I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice as to whether my wife, my 4 month old, and I should relocate from Chicago to the Sarasota area? I am in field sales, so I work out of my home and my wife is a flight attendant who can work anywhere. Chicago's cost of living is very high and we would like to get away from the fast paced city life and settle down in a community. My wife is from Tennesse as well, so the cold weather doesn't sit real well with her. Anyway, we would like to rent for a year (we currently pay 1100 per month for a very small apartment). Eventually, we plan to get into a 3 bed 2 bath home for under 300k. We want affordability, community, and an easier, healthier lifestyle with outdoors activities...plus I love to fish.

Is this a smart move to head to Florida? Do we just have the winter blues and are pulling the trigger too fast? Is this a good place to start our family....probably the most important question?

Any advice would be welcome. We also like the Carolina's, Colorado, and Tennessee. My folks will be settling down in NW Florida (Ormond Beach) in the next year.
Well, I really can't answer that question for you. I can tell you about the area though. I am a native to the area and have attend the schools here and now my children are in the public schools of the Sarasota school system. I am more than pleased with the education they are getting.

I think it's a great place to raise children. There's lots of stuff for them to do. They play out side, take different extracurricular classes after school, hang out with their friends, go to the beaches, etc.

Like Mr Sunshine pointed out, you should be able to get a nice home in the area in that price range. You would also be able to find a home in a decent neighborhood for the rent you posted as well.

I just posted some negatives on the thread "keep it real" right under this thread. If you can deal with the heat, job situation, hurricanes, etc. You should be fine.

I think it's a good idea to rent if you are not familiar with the area. At least until you find an area that suits your family. I would suggest taking a few trips down here to get a feel for the area and see if this is the right place for you and your family.

Good luck with it

Old 01-10-2010, 12:09 PM

31 posts, read 62,822 times
When are you planning on moving? We are going to move to Sarasota from Chattanooga, Tn on June 1. We are going back down there to visit May 1-8. We are getting our home that week. When we get back I will post any new info I can get my hands on!

Old 01-10-2010, 01:53 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyWy View Post

Well, since you both have the job situations covered (which is the big negative - the unemployment rate here), you are in like Flint, here! It's a great place to be, great weather, culture, things to do, great place for kids. Plenty of great home deals in your budget, too. And the fishing is great! LOL, I need a new adjective - I used "great" five times!

Old 01-10-2010, 02:02 PM

301 posts, read 1,153,711 times
The only one that can answer "is it right to move" is you. I would suggest a minimum 2 week summer visit to determine if you can adjust to the constant heat and humidity for 6 months out of the year. Some love it, some hate it.
My wife & I and 2 month old just moved down from Michigan, after 20 or more visits over the past 3 years. If you're not happy where you're at, then what's the sense in being there? Do some research, save some money, and get going :-) Good luck on your decision!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,990 times
Thanks to all who have replied. It's very helpful. I look forward to reading more posts as well.

Again. Thanks. It's a big move and want to make sure we are doing the right thing!!

Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,010,972 times
Ooooh, Chicago to this part of Florida will be a really big change. Just a few caveats:

If you enjoy seeing the seasons change AT ALL, this part of FL is not for you. I would consider TN or CO instead. Yes, the temps are a bit more moderate in the winter but it gets hot, and stays hot, for at least six months out of the year. It is literally too hot for kids to play outside (unless they are in the pool) in the afternoons in the summer. It's more a function of the humidity and strength of the sun.

This area is not very culturally diverse. It's a retirement haven for a reason - the area caters to retirees. I have friends with kids who are school aged and they do fine, but there aren't the same easy opportunities here that there are in other areas where the proportion of young-to-middle aged people is higher. You have to network a bit more.

There are many positive things about living in the area, as SoFLGal can point out. I've grown weary of it, as have two couples that I have been good friends with. We are all planning our escapes to points a bit more varied, culturally, ethnically, meteorologically (LOL)...

Good luck in your search. Hope you find the right spot.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:46 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,146 times
If you are from Chicago...you aren't going to like it here. I'm from Chicago, and the only thing it has going that Chicago doesn't is the weather.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:25 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Well, they said they hate COLD WEATHER, so that rules out places like TN or CO which were suggested earlier. Besides, one of them is already from TN and doesn't like it!

That said, NO ONE should come here without totally knowing what they are getting into. I have known people from Chicago who came here and LOVE IT TO DEATH, and have known others who were miserable and went back. So it is really impossible for any one of us to say if you will truly like it here or not. You should visit a lot and talk to a lot of locals, especially transplants from more northern cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area