Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 AM

37 posts, read 114,550 times

Advertisements

We live in WI right now and love the gulf coast and beaches. I understand vacationing and living there are two different things and that is why I have been reading other posts and am asking questions now.
My wife is deadly afraid of snakes, she doesn't worry about alligators, spiders, or even sharks when snorkeling. Are the snakes only by water or are they everywere? This is a big issue with her and i'm trying to narrow down our search so we can research the areas we are interested in before we come down and visit.

She is graduating from nursing school with her LPN in a couple months so i'm not concerned about her getting a job, but i'm in the financial services field working with investments, insurance, and mortgages. I'm guessing that is a tough field to be in with the current economic problems we are having. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We are looking at areas all the way from Tampa down to Venice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,143,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by financewizard View Post
We live in WI right now and love the gulf coast and beaches. I understand vacationing and living there are two different things and that is why I have been reading other posts and am asking questions now.
My wife is deadly afraid of snakes, she doesn't worry about alligators, spiders, or even sharks when snorkeling. Are the snakes only by water or are they everywere? This is a big issue with her and i'm trying to narrow down our search so we can research the areas we are interested in before we come down and visit.

She is graduating from nursing school with her LPN in a couple months so i'm not concerned about her getting a job, but i'm in the financial services field working with investments, insurance, and mortgages. I'm guessing that is a tough field to be in with the current economic problems we are having. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We are looking at areas all the way from Tampa down to Venice.
Snakes are by the gulf as well as out East...I'd be more apt to worry about the out of state driver who has no idea where they're going on the road.

Snakes least of anyone's worries...now, brown recluse spider, that's something to think about. Sharks, yeah, Tampa Bay is #1 in the country in shark infestation, if you flew in a small plane & saw them swimming down below, you wouldn't go in further than ankle deep at the beach...

Everything is tough down here at the moment...whether it's a job in healthcare or otherwise, a word to the wise, the competition is ubelieveable....If I were you, I'd have her send out CV's to every hospital from Tampa to Ft. Myers and see who's interested, then plan an interview trip. Tax deductable & vacation at the same time...

Old 02-27-2009, 11:48 AM

37 posts, read 114,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Snakes are by the gulf as well as out East...I'd be more apt to worry about the out of state driver who has no idea where they're going on the road.

Snakes least of anyone's worries...now, brown recluse spider, that's something to think about. Sharks, yeah, Tampa Bay is #1 in the country in shark infestation, if you flew in a small plane & saw them swimming down below, you wouldn't go in further than ankle deep at the beach...

Everything is tough down here at the moment...whether it's a job in healthcare or otherwise, a word to the wise, the competition is ubelieveable....If I were you, I'd have her send out CV's to every hospital from Tampa to Ft. Myers and see who's interested, then plan an interview trip. Tax deductable & vacation at the same time...
I will definately do the above. I have 2 kids in elementary school also, so there are a lot of things I need to take into consideration. I do want to do as much research and narrowing certain areas off my list. I will pursue my wifes job first as that may be a big factor in where we live. 30 minute commute is fine, but i think a lot more then that would get old really fast.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,930,224 times
My wife has a snake phobia so I know where you are coming from. The more established areas will have a lower occurrence of snake sightings, but your wife will see snakes on occasion. The most common is a fast moving black snake. I use a product called snake away around my house and in my garden beds. When I remember to apply the product the times she sees a snake is almost nil. We spend a lot of our free time outside and in the garden so there is more opportunity to see a snake. Most of our neighbors never see a snake in their yards, but because of my wife's fear she is always looking.

Stay away from the interior of the state and places where there are large expanses of undeveloped land. If my wife can deal with the snakes in Florida I'm sure your wife will be able to manage as well.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:10 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,928,205 times
There are various kinds of snakes all throughout Florida. I believe there are snakes in every state. Most/many of the snakes that you will see in Florida are harmless and more afraid of you than you probably are of them. They also eat spiders and other creepy crawly things.

There are only six poisonous snakes in the state of Florida and only five live in SW Florida. The Diamondback Rattler, Pygmy Rattler, Coral Snake, Cottonmouth, Copperhead and the Canebrake Rattler, which is only found in northern Florida. The Cottonmouth likes water so it would be more common in rivers and swampy areas. All other snakes prefer some kind of brush, scrub Palmetto, or vegetation. I do see an occasional Pygmy in the yard but I also live with vacant lots and vegetation all around my house. Most of the poisonous snakes would be very rare to see.

Black snakes, corn snakes, ringnecks, Rats, and Garters would probably be the most common non-venomous snakes you would encounter.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:08 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,829 times
We live in the Sarasota area and havent' seen a single snake since we moved here 4 years ago-- we are only about 15 minutes from the beach in a well established area

Id worry more about the cockroaches

Old 02-28-2009, 07:26 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,092,956 times
Today I walked my dog around the neighborhood. As I sat at a vacant dock where I often stop and look at intersecting canals. I saw a dophin come up about 3 feet in front of me for a breath of air. My dog didn't even see him because he was so slient as he rose from the water and resubmerged again.

Wow you don't see that everyday. But I have seen dophins 3 times in the canals here so far. It is really cool - I love it here!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:41 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,930,224 times
BH - It is amazing what you get to experience here in south west Florida. All you have to do is get out and pay attention. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. I was walking dogs yesterday and saw a wood pecker feeding at a small wasps nest under the eves of my neighbors house. Until I saw that I never thought that a bird would be a predator on wasps. - I love it here too!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:28 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,932,258 times
I too am from Wisconsin and am also afraid of snakes and am also hoping to move south. I posted a thread over on the Ft. Meyers board about it. Everyone reassured me I'm as likely to see a snake up here as I am in Port Charlotte.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:58 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,092,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
BH - It is amazing what you get to experience here in south west Florida. All you have to do is get out and pay attention. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. I was walking dogs yesterday and saw a wood pecker feeding at a small wasps nest under the eves of my neighbors house. Until I saw that I never thought that a bird would be a predator on wasps. - I love it here too!
I love seeing the great big red headed woodpeckers. We have a couple huge old trees in our yard, and they are always in there after insects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area