Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times

Advertisements

...which sill save $9 million. See full story online: Sarasota Herald.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 01:10 PM

51 posts, read 222,824 times
Here's a link to the article: Sarasota schools to cut 140 positions | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

Old 02-13-2009, 06:11 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
I don't know if you remember, but over a year ago, I mentioned what impact the lack of revenues would have on the local governments. It is really now starting to show. The sad thing is, is that, right after they cut all the salaries and lay off all the skilled and trained teachers, firemen, and other good worker/people, the economy is going to turn around and they will need them all back. Many will have left and found employment elsewhere so the new staffs will not be as efficient and that will have cost implications as well. Government and business hirings and layoffs are always lagging behind the true economic situations. They should have started cutting staff a year ago trying to become leaner and better suited for today, and in a better financial position to prepare for the turn around, but they always spend what they have "we are fully funded for today's requirements", and will always have a shortfall when they get down the road because they didn't take the hard decisions when they needed to.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I don't know if you remember, but over a year ago, I mentioned what impact the lack of revenues would have on the local governments. It is really now starting to show. The sad thing is, is that, right after they cut all the salaries and lay off all the skilled and trained teachers, firemen, and other good worker/people, the economy is going to turn around and they will need them all back. Many will have left and found employment elsewhere so the new staffs will not be as efficient and that will have cost implications as well. Government and business hirings and layoffs are always lagging behind the true economic situations. They should have started cutting staff a year ago trying to become leaner and better suited for today, and in a better financial position to prepare for the turn around, but they always spend what they have "we are fully funded for today's requirements", and will always have a shortfall when they get down the road because they didn't take the hard decisions when they needed to.
I believe now there are going to be discussions in SRQ re: going to a four day work week as well.

As I was driving to work, I heard there's some malls north of us in the Brandon area that are going to open a half hour later & close a half hour earlier...

...Next?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I believe now there are going to be discussions in SRQ re: going to a four day work week as well.

As I was driving to work, I heard there's some malls north of us in the Brandon area that are going to open a half hour later & close a half hour earlier...

...Next?

That is a new one - opening / closing the malls early. It will be interesting to see what is next.

I have to tell you that from the view point of someone fairly new to the area, that things down here are buzzing! It doesn't seem like there is any slow down down here right now! The stores and restaurants seem to be going well. I do see a lot of stores that seem like they are hurting, but maybe they will recover since the "snow birds" are back.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
That is a new one - opening / closing the malls early. It will be interesting to see what is next.

I have to tell you that from the view point of someone fairly new to the area, that things down here are buzzing! It doesn't seem like there is any slow down down here right now! The stores and restaurants seem to be going well. I do see a lot of stores that seem like they are hurting, but maybe they will recover since the "snow birds" are back.
We are totally in HIGH SEASON right now; that's why you see a lot of spending. This means the $ you see flying around is snowbird controlled. Every restaurant, every bar, every retail establishment is FIGHTING for those $ right now with drink, food & sale prices like never before.

Come May 1st seasons over and hibernation begins.

Everyone's hoping for a good season and specials abound everywhere!

Old 02-13-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
We are totally in HIGH SEASON right now; that's why you see a lot of spending. This means the $ you see flying around is snowbird controlled. Every restaurant, every bar, every retail establishment is FIGHTING for those $ right now with drink, food & sale prices like never before.

Come May 1st seasons over and hibernation begins.

Everyone's hoping for a good season and specials abound everywhere!
Well I'm enjoying it thats for sure. I think we're going to be more long term local than snow bird. I hope everyone is having a good season. It seems like there is a lot of activity everywhere. All the bars and restaurants have some kind of live entertainment, and so far it has all been surprisingly good! It has taken me too long to find this place, but now that I have - I intend to make the most of it!

You seem to be enjoying all the area has to offer year round! For the entire past year, whenever anything has been going on - you know where it is!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Well I'm enjoying it thats for sure. I think we're going to be more long term local than snow bird. I hope everyone is having a good season. It seems like there is a lot of activity everywhere. All the bars and restaurants have some kind of live entertainment, and so far it has all been surprisingly good! It has taken me too long to find this place, but now that I have - I intend to make the most of it!

You seem to be enjoying all the area has to offer year round! For the entire past year, whenever anything has been going on - you know where it is!
My girlfriend hosts adult trivia at Horsefeathers on Wednesday nights; that's a total blast! You should check that out!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 AM

414 posts, read 1,245,580 times
Quote:
My girlfriend hosts adult trivia at Horsefeathers on Wednesday nights; that's a total blast! You should check that out!
LWAF,
I am trying to use my imagination to envision what "adult trivia" is. Can you, within the guidelines of the forum, describe it?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledoc1 View Post
LWAF,
I am trying to use my imagination to envision what "adult trivia" is. Can you, within the guidelines of the forum, describe it?
okay...i.e. who owned the Sex Swing on the tv show Sex in the City....multiple choice answers with all the girl's names...and you write the name you think on your score card.

Another question we had was who is the only mamal that has relations face to face....

It's not all X-rated questions but just "adult" geared...There are prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd places, drink specials, that kind of thing....

It's pretty fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area