Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 PM

6 posts, read 15,266 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the boards and I really hope that I can learn some stuff so I may make informed decisions. I'm finally finishing my thesis and my husband and I are ready to get out of Morgantown, WV. My husband is a nurse and I have my undergrad. in Interior Design and Master's in Healthcare Design. We love Florida and are thinking about moving down there.

We have been looking at Tampa and Sarasota, but we have no idea if those are good places to go or where to live or what it is like to live there. We also like the Destin area so it's a hard decision. We know we like Destin b/c we vacation there but, I didn't know if Tampa or Sarasota would be better. I don't want to move to an area just b/c I've vaca'd there before.

Could anyone tell me about the pros and cons of Tampa & Sarasota and where are good communities to live? Is St. Petersburg nice? What about Clear Water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 03:58 AM

544 posts, read 1,471,709 times
Oh ya. Go to St Pete and Tampa before Sarasota. SRQ should only be last resort out of the 3 cities imo.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:30 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
Oh ya. Go to St Pete and Tampa before Sarasota. SRQ should only be last resort out of the 3 cities imo.
Exactly why is that? I would recommend it as the FIRST choice, I have lived in Tampa/St. Pete and Sarasota. For their occupations, it would be a great area for them.

Anyway, to the OP - none of us can really answer what would be best for YOU - what do you want? A big city or smaller city? What I love about Sarasota is that it is a small city, but with the amenities of a much larger city. It also has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and the town is gorgeous. But if you like a bigger city atmosphere, you would want Tampa or St. Pete. I personally don't like Clearwater because the traffic is sooo bad and congested, and I know zero about Destin, but hear it is nice.

Post more about what you want and we can advise you better.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:34 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renny31 View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the boards and I really hope that I can learn some stuff so I may make informed decisions. I'm finally finishing my thesis and my husband and I are ready to get out of Morgantown, WV. My husband is a nurse and I have my undergrad. in Interior Design and Master's in Healthcare Design. We love Florida and are thinking about moving down there.

We have been looking at Tampa and Sarasota, but we have no idea if those are good places to go or where to live or what it is like to live there. We also like the Destin area so it's a hard decision. We know we like Destin b/c we vacation there but, I didn't know if Tampa or Sarasota would be better. I don't want to move to an area just b/c I've vaca'd there before.

Could anyone tell me about the pros and cons of Tampa & Sarasota and where are good communities to live? Is St. Petersburg nice? What about Clear Water?
My xhusband and I left Morgantown after he finished residency & profersorship at Ruby Memorial back in '91.....and ended up in Bradenton....due to location of his sign on at Manatee Memorial Hosp. Destin is beautiful but when the hurricanes come through the gulf, it's in the "zone." You should do a two week interview trip & have your husband send out CV's and get interviews, see the hospitals for yourself between Tampa and Sarasota...it worked for us...My x even went into the OR for 8 hours during an interview in TPA....talk about being patient......Sarasota's small and clean...Bradenton's MMH is a knife & gunshow 24/7...stay away....not familiar so much with the St.Pete/Clearwater/TPA hospitals....

Old 02-06-2009, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,188 times
Check Venice.
Its a small town of 20000. Retirement town but has a great community college, is 1 hour from Tampa to the north and Ft myers to the south. Has way better, way better weather than Tampa because of Tampa bay. It rains alot in Tampa. I lived there over a year and it was noticably different.
Venice has good schools. One high school which is about to be totally rebuilt, 2 middle schools and 3 elementary schools. Good shopping, a quaint historic district...venice avenue on the island. Very good beaches and intracoastal entry/exit.
Mapquest it and click hybrid to get a view of the town.
It is 15 minutes from either the Sarasota or Port Charlotte malls.
Very good youth sports complexes.
New multi million dollar YMCA.
County parks including camping at Oscar Scherer state park.
Housing is a good buy right now.
It has a general avaition airport which are mainly small prop planes.
Serious consideration should be given to this town as it has a small town feel in the Sarasota area.

http://www.venicechamber.com/

Old 02-06-2009, 10:04 AM

6 posts, read 15,266 times
Thanks guys,
In response to Ladywithafan, my husband works at Ruby Memorial now. It's a level 1 trauma and has Magnet status. He found a hospital down there, I think it's Tampa General or something like that, that has level 1 trauma & Magnet status. He also has his BSN in nursing so he is looking to go to a place where he can go back to school to be an nurse anestitist (phonetic spelling, sorry). The hospital is located on Hillsborough Bay which is in Tampa so that's why I'm looking in the surrounding area.

My husband has lived in Pittsburgh & worked for UPMC too, so we like the city, but I also like the smaller towns, just not small towns in the terms of farms and whatnot. I'm originally from Johnstown, PA which is too rural (a farm was 1/4 from my house).

I guess my ideal area is a city that is clean and safe. I want to live in a suburb so that I would be in close proximaty to the cities. When I've been researching Tampa, a lot of people have been saying it's bad and dirty and crammed which worries me. But I've also heard good things, like how it is beautiful. I want to own a house and have a yard for my puppies but at the same time, be by the city... Is this possible?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Thanks guys,
In response to Ladywithafan, my husband works at Ruby Memorial now. It's a level 1 trauma and has Magnet status. He found a hospital down there, I think it's Tampa General or something like that, that has level 1 trauma & Magnet status. He also has his BSN in nursing so he is looking to go to a place where he can go back to school to be an nurse anestitist (phonetic spelling, sorry). The hospital is located on Hillsborough Bay which is in Tampa so that's why I'm looking in the surrounding area.

My husband has lived in Pittsburgh & worked for UPMC too, so we like the city, but I also like the smaller towns, just not small towns in the terms of farms and whatnot. I'm originally from Johnstown, PA which is too rural (a farm was 1/4 from my house).

I guess my ideal area is a city that is clean and safe. I want to live in a suburb so that I would be in close proximaty to the cities. When I've been researching Tampa, a lot of people have been saying it's bad and dirty and crammed which worries me. But I've also heard good things, like how it is beautiful. I want to own a house and have a yard for my puppies but at the same time, be by the city... Is this possible?
If your hubby is considering Tampa General, then look into living in South Tampa - there are beautiful neighborhoods there, yes you could have a yard for the pups and be right near all the best Tampa/St. Pete has to offer. It does cost more (location, location, location) but it's worth it, IMO.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2009, 12:55 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Thanks guys,

My xhusband finished his Anesthesia residence at Ruby back in 1989...and some of the docs are still there.....lol

Tampa's pretty sprawled out...it all depends on what you like, again, you should interview all over to get the real picture. Also, now everyone thinks nursing is "SAFE".....not so fast....my friends who work in nursing have another story....cut salaries and cuts in pay....so really look around and ask questions....

Personally, I like the atmosphere of Sarasota...The hospitals have pretty good reputations, SMH, Doctors, Lakewood Ranch...

P.S. You will be missing Gabriel's!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area