Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,181 times

Advertisements

I am a single professional male in my mid-thirties and I am trying to decide between living in downtown St. Pete or in downtown Sarasota. I have a great job in Bradenton which I will be starting in two months. I am new to the area and would like to get some advice about where to live.

My first concern is the commute. Driving from downtown Sarasota to Bradenton would be on city streets which probably get more clogged as the snowbirds come down to Florida for the winter. I did the drive around 8 am during the week when I came out to interview. It was out of season, and the commute was about 25 minutes. St. Pete is farther, but the a significant portion of the commute will be on freeways and I would be going against traffic. How long would the commute be into Bradenton around Blake Hospital from downtown St. Pete? Would this drive be significantly longer when the snowbirds arrive?

I am also interested in meeting other single people in their late twenties or thirties. I did see some people in this age group when I visited Sarosota, but it seemed more like young professional couples than singles. I imagine St. Pete might have more to offer in this regard.

As for activities, I am learning how to sail and would also like to try my hand at kayaking. I also like to cycle and it seems like Pinellas county has some nice trails. What about cycling in Sarasota? As for the Arts, it seems like both areas have something to offer.

Thanks,

Bradenton_Professional
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 03:17 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
St. Pete all the way - your commute will be far, far easier, it will be all highway driving, against the traffic. Traffic up from Sarasota would be murder for you. I also think that at your age you will enjoy downtown St. Pete more - it has a more laid-back, Bohemian vibe than Sarasota.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:07 AM

172 posts, read 472,425 times
The daily drive from bradenton will be an issue to st petersburg and sarasota. I would mapquest it and make the drive to both places from your office. If your find the drives equally enjoyable(or difficult) then you might want to consider spending a weekend in each city. I much prefer sarasota to st pete but it is totally subjective. best wishes!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 AM

656 posts, read 1,374,775 times
I think Sarasota will be a longer drive. If it were my choice, I would rather
live in Sarasota than St Pete though. You may prefer Pinellas depending on
your own private criteria.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:10 PM

69 posts, read 235,847 times
Default Sarasota or St Pete

Why not the new Lakewood Ranch area. A lot of young people live there and you could drive right across route 64 or 70, then for night life you could go in either direction to St Pete or Sarasota or just stay in Lakewood Ranch (they have a movie theatre, restaurants and scheduled events). Something to think about!

Old 06-22-2008, 03:28 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,819,681 times
The time of the commute depends on where in St Pete or SRQ you would live. I believe Sarasota is closer, but I totally agree with gypsychic about living in St. Pete. I think you will have much more fun there, and will meet more people (without the attitude). However if the Skyway ever closes due to bad weather, you are screwed. I assume you're going to start out by renting a place, so compare prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area