Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 11:19 AM

12 posts, read 26,572 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in Maryland. We are looking to buy a piece of land to build a vacation/retirement home in the Venice/Nokomis area. We'd like to have water in the back for a boat slip. A few days ago we came across a property in Nokomis, east of Tamiami Trail, near Nokomis Community park. That lot did get our attention. After doing some search, we learned there were pockets of crime about a mile north of the property. Should this be a concern? Also, the flood zone is listed as AE by FEMA, is it bad? Anybody have any knowledge on how bad and how often the flooding is due to heavy rains or storm? The other thing that concerns us is that the lot requires a septic. Since the lot is somewhat small (0.19 acre), we're wondering how feasible and costly this would be for us to build a home. Your input will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 12:17 PM

85 posts, read 85,418 times
There should be a number designation along with that AE, like AE8, AE10 etc. Meaning if the BFE for that lot is 10' you'd likely have to build at 12'. If the lot is only a few feet above sea level it would likely be very expensive to raise the grade up to 12'. If you'll have a mortgage, you'll also need flood insurance and that is priced by elevation. Lots of areas are on septic down here which isn't a drawback for me especially since it would be a brand new system. I looked at a house on Shakett Creek 2 years ago but passed due to it being too flood prone for my comfort. There's a whole lot to research to do when buying waterfront property. It would be a good idea to consult a professional with experience in riparian rights to guide you through some of the process.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:11 PM

Not sure if the homeowners decided to take the chance (on floods) but I see many waterfront houses in the area sit on the ground (not elevated). The homeowners flood insurance premium must be exorbitant, I figure. Thank you for taking the time to respond. We definitely have a lot more search and consultation to do.

Old 08-06-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javafreak View Post
There should be a number designation along with that AE, like AE8, AE10 etc. Meaning if the BFE for that lot is 10' you'd likely have to build at 12'. If the lot is only a few feet above sea level it would likely be very expensive to raise the grade up to 12'. If you'll have a mortgage, you'll also need flood insurance and that is priced by elevation. Lots of areas are on septic down here which isn't a drawback for me especially since it would be a brand new system. I looked at a house on Shakett Creek 2 years ago but passed due to it being too flood prone for my comfort. There's a whole lot to research to do when buying waterfront property. It would be a good idea to consult a professional with experience in riparian rights to guide you through some of the process.
Not sure if the homeowners decided to take the chance (on floods) because I see many houses in the same neighborhood sit on the ground (not elevated according to the BFE building code or recommendation). Their homeowners' flood insurance must be exorbitant, I guess. Thank you. We definitely have a lot of research and consultation to do.

Old 08-06-2020, 04:19 PM

8,092 posts, read 4,644,272 times
I rent a house in Nokomis. It's an older house built in the 1950's. When we have heavy rains sometimes the ground around the septic tank gets so water-logged that the toilet stops working. It doesn't flush and if I try to force it the water just goes onto the bathroom floor (after a flush).

Not sure about the flood zone but the house I rent isn't near any bodies of water. This usually only occurs after several days of heavy downpours - about a couple times per year. Since it only happens a couple times a year I've learned to live with it - and there is a business next door with a public bathroom that I can use. Once the ground dries out the toilet starts working again - but it can take a full day or two with no rain (to dry out) before the toilet works again.

Perhaps with a new house the septic systems are built in such a way so as to avoid this problem. However if I was buying a house I'd certainly prefer one without septic.

Last edited by wondermint2; 08-06-2020 at 04:46 PM..

Old 08-06-2020, 04:45 PM

4,613 posts, read 7,532,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyadahin View Post
Not sure if the homeowners decided to take the chance (on floods) because I see many houses in the same neighborhood sit on the ground (not elevated according to the BFE building code or recommendation). Their homeowners' flood insurance must be exorbitant, I guess. Thank you. We definitely have a lot of research and consultation to do.
Those homes sitting "on the ground" would have been built before the current flood zone requirements, so would be grandfathered in.

Flood zone designations A, AE or V are considered flood zones. A does not have a base flood elevation completed, AE has base flood elevation information available. V zones are coastal high velocity zones.

FEMA has very specific regulations on what you can build and how you must build on properties located within designated flood zones.

There's another aspect of buying a waterfront property for potential boating that buyers should be aware of. Just because the property is waterfront doesn't necessarily mean the new owner of the lot actually has rights to that waterfront, can build a boat dock, etc. You need to verify the riparian rights of the property.

Does the property actually physically abut (i.e. touch) the waterway in question? Although it may appear to do so, this requires a survey that accurately depicts the proper margin of the waterway (many waterfront surveys do not), and a legal analysis to confirm that there are no gaps, margins, or hiatuses between the property and the margin of the waterway. Even a one inch gap precludes waterfront access.

If there is no dock, can you place one there? Do not fall into the common trap of assuming that because neighboring homes have docks that you too can have one. The determination is extremely site specific.

Does the parcel indeed have riparian rights for use of the applicable waterway?
If your waterfront access is over another parcel, does such access actually get you to the waterfront, do you have the legal right to use it and, most importantly, does it specifically confer the right to also locate a dock?

Since there's no home on the property, are you familiar with FEMA requirements for the subject parcel?
Does the parcel have setback/construction requirements due to the water it abuts and how do they apply? Lot measurements may be important under these circumstances.

As part of any contract to purchase a waterfront lot such as this, you'll want to make sure to include the option of being able to have what they call due diligence inspections of the property performed by an attorney of your choice, and include the option of cancelling the contract and the return of your deposit if the property turns out to not meet your specific needs regarding construction and boating rights. You'll want an attorney that has specialized expertise in both waterfront property and coastal construction law -- you can find a number of them in our area.

Last but not least, you can find information regarding septic tanks at the following Sarasota county website:
Onsite Sewage Disposal | Florida Department of Health in Sarasota

Building on a waterfront lot is not an easy process here in Florida, but it can definitely be rewarding if you do your research and know what you are getting into before you sign a purchase agreement.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:24 AM

Thank you all for your input and advice. We definitely have a lot to learn. All is new to us. We always wish to have a waterfront property for our retirement. Now given the heavy work load that comes with searching and consulting in order to build our own home, it's probably best/wise for us to just buy an existing home or a condo. Thanks again. You're really appreciated.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:45 PM

4,613 posts, read 7,532,666 times
In my previous post I should have mentioned that FEMA is updating the flood maps for the Venice area this year, so you will want to make sure you find out not only current flood zone designation of a property but also the proposed new designation.

It is also my understanding that FEMA is updating their rates, the new rates go into effect October 1, 2020.

You may find this link helpful:
https://www.venicegov.com/government...-revision-2020

By the way, the national flood insurance program is set to expires yet again on September 30, 2020, unless Congress does another extension of the program.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:49 PM

170 posts, read 571,139 times
Did anyone address the crime question? I am interested in Nokomis as well.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javafreak View Post
You don’t raise the ground—you raise the house—
Build on piling set deep into the earth—and have parking under the house’s living area
That can be enclosed but it won’t be insured from what I understand
Just what is above the flood level...

Look at how Sharkey’s new restaurant was built—huge piling driven into the ground and then restaurant built on top—much taller than the original build ground level
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area