Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 06:39 AM

190 posts, read 180,427 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am a single 35 yr old male. I am on a fixed income mostly looking for houseshares in a decent area. This is one of my bigger concerns right now as in the county I live in (Hillsborough) I find a lot of crappy places where people just simply do not keep up their homes and they still want decent money. Theres a few that are dirt cheap but they go like hotcakes depending on where they are.

I wanted to ask the general forum here if for the rental market is it better than Tampa? Should I find little trouble finding somewhere for roughly under 500 dollars? People find deals so I don't want to come here and get discouraged just because you yourself maybe don't pay that low and choose to inflate the rental or housing market. I do whats economical and I just want to see if while being economical, I can find a decent situation where I can possibly get to know the house owner and be like a friend too. I want something deeper than just paying the rent every month also.. I mean any help is appreciated if you can steer me in the right direction. I am out in a part of Hillsborough I don't really want to be in and I gotta get back closer to there at some point. I may be 2 moves away but if something sooner comes up, god only knows. My stepfather is a concern though who I hardly ever hear from now. He has health issues but its highly unusual he hasn't called me in well over a week or even 2 weeks. Its disgusting and feel I should get closer to where he lives also so I can drop in any time because hes hard headed. Ever have a stubborn family member? well that's what hes like and my depression is kind of increasing being this far away. I feel guilty in some way plus a girl I been talking to for awhile lives down that way too and the dating situation sucks in Tampa for me. So help me out, advise me on where to go. Where can I rent places around there away from the sketchiest elements? I mean I have rough ideas but I want to hear it from everyone else.. TY. Tampa has grown sour on me because of the terrible housing situation that exists. I never seen anything like it, not even in Pinellas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 07:15 AM

490 posts, read 625,169 times
I'm assuming you've looked on craigslist? My brother is on disability and his housing budget is similar to yours. We have had a hard time finding housing for him here. Right now he rents a room in a house in a neighborhood where he doesn't go outside at night and there is a parade of other roommates that cause problems. The place before this one was worse. There are lot's of situations in that price range but the better ones are looking for someone who is employed, clean cut, doesn't smoke or do drugs, doesn't have pets and is preferably female. My brother isn't any of those things. He doesn't do drugs or have a pet but you get my point. I say again, you've checked craigslist right? The nicer places are going to hold out for that perfect tenant. In that price range, asking for a place that's in a good area and a landlord that really looks after the place and roommates who are great is asking an awful lot. You may need to adjust your expectations if you want to be in this area.

- Chet

Old 10-16-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
I'm assuming you've looked on craigslist? My brother is on disability and his housing budget is similar to yours. We have had a hard time finding housing for him here. Right now he rents a room in a house in a neighborhood where he doesn't go outside at night and there is a parade of other roommates that cause problems. The place before this one was worse. There are lot's of situations in that price range but the better ones are looking for someone who is employed, clean cut, doesn't smoke or do drugs, doesn't have pets and is preferably female. My brother isn't any of those things. He doesn't do drugs or have a pet but you get my point. I say again, you've checked craigslist right? The nicer places are going to hold out for that perfect tenant. In that price range, asking for a place that's in a good area and a landlord that really looks after the place and roommates who are great is asking an awful lot. You may need to adjust your expectations if you want to be in this area.

- Chet
I may have to hold out as long as it takes then. I mean there are places in decent areas, I know there is. I'm sure I could find something off 64 cant I? or something along Cortez somewhere... even Oneco in some areas isn't too bad. I at least know Bradenton as far as where and where not to go. I just don't know the rental market there. I do know that many long time residents still live in Bradenton and there are newer areas also. Not as much is run down like in Tampa so I'd imagine I'd have less trouble there to be honest. Its just a bit of a drive and I only want to come down and look at places if I know for sure its worth my time or possibly in a nice area.. I will street view it before deciding. I am NE of Brandon a little, I have a housing situation, I manage to do it but its a transient house kind of toward Plant City. Its got a lot of land but not in the area I want to be in and further from potential jobs. Competition in Brandon/Valrico is harder I find but those are the nicer areas around here. I might have to go USF area by Bruce B Downs if I don't make it down to Bradenton just yet. I haven't fully explored this yet but most places in Tampa I know I been sent to or told the address to are in bad areas. I saw one place in Bradenton for real cheap, one guy lived in it, it was a tiny place though, just one main living area, no bedrooms and me and him would have to share it and sleep in the same area. Terrible if you have to take showers and you like your privacy. I'd be crammed and it wasn't furnished either. I just don't want my depression to kick in when I am reminded of what others have that I don't have when I travel around. It feels like a haves/have not environment often times. Maybe not as bad as the west coast but still, pretty bad. A quality of life could be had for me IF ONLY this issue got fixed. Worrying about a job isn't really an issue. I can get help for that once I know I can find an area I like and want to stay in. Housing is my main problem right now.

So tell me more about your brothers situation? Is he in Bradenton? Has he got to live in some of the worst neighborhoods because of it? I know I can do under 500 and get something manageable.. I've done it before in another state, even one with a similar cost of living to FL. I just have to fix this issue and it will be alright. I only returned to FL back in January so maybe this is the patience process I need to take and maybe when that year is up, I will get into somewhere good finally. It be about damn time that's for sure. I haven't found one good fit since I been back and the place in Pinellas I stayed in didn't have a kitchen and they wanted $550 a month. I ended that after 6 months and decided to come to Hillsborough. I have been doing an exploratory out here to see what part of the city area is for me, if none is, Back to Bradenton I go.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:32 AM

490 posts, read 625,169 times
$500 bucks is about the least you can find something for. You are most likely going to find pretty crappy places at that price point. This shouldn't come as a big shock.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
$500 bucks is about the least you can find something for. You are most likely going to find pretty crappy places at that price point. This shouldn't come as a big shock.
I feel I can get lucky though.. I just have to hold out some. People get lucky is all I am saying.. I can be one of those. People shouldnt be telling everyone oh, every place is a dump for 500 dolllars.. its simply not true. In certain areas yes but other areas maybe not who knows. Or if theres another set of pros and cons vs another you can deal with or not.. it just depends. Tampa area though is horrible for looking in that price range esp Hillsborough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area