Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:36 PM

77 posts, read 104,712 times

Advertisements

I just look on the fema map and property I am interested in is in a green zone called AE. Most of the area in Venice seems to be in this green zone. Can someone tell me if this means simply that it is a flood zone and will require flood insurance (with a mortgage). Does this green color indicate the risk of flood, the amount of elevation, the cost of insurance? I don't know where there is a key to these colors.
Thanks for your patience I am sure this will be a repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 01:58 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveysue View Post
I just look on the fema map and property I am interested in is in a green zone called AE. Most of the area in Venice seems to be in this green zone. Can someone tell me if this means simply that it is a flood zone and will require flood insurance (with a mortgage). Does this green color indicate the risk of flood, the amount of elevation, the cost of insurance? I don't know where there is a key to these colors.
Because the flood maps in Sarasota county are being updated for 2016, a number of properties that may not have been located in a flood zone in the past will soon be in a designated flood zone. The proposed changes are difficult to read on the FEMA maps. However, Sarasota County now has easy to read flood risk maps showing the new, proposed flood zones. You can plug in an address to see if it falls into proposed flood zones.

The link to the maps: https://ags2.scgov.net/sarcoflood/

Old 04-17-2015, 02:05 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,452 times
Quote:
I hear ya, I asked about the actual meaning of the letter designations in the "It's the Storm Surge that matters" thread. No replies. It must be some super sekrit codes that lay-people aren't supposed to be able to understand.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:28 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
I found this:

Please see the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s website FEMA.gov | Federal Emergency Management Agency for the official definition of these terms and guidance what you should do with this information. Use the following as a general guide only:
1. In general, areas in Zone X (green) are considered to be outside of the 100 year floodplain and are considered by FEMA to have a low risk of flooding. However, there are exceptions to this which are beyond the scope of this information. Other sources such as your subdivision plat, mortgage companies, insurance companies, or surveyor can help.
2. Zones A (Purple) and AE (Red) are areas are considered by FEMA to be within a 100 year floodplain and have a higher risk of flooding (a 1% chance of flooding in any given year). Persons owning property in these zones may want to consider obtaining professional advice about their flood risk.
3. If a property is within the 500 year floodplain (Yellow), this means that the area is considered by FEMA to be outside of the 100 year floodplain but has a higher risk of flooding in any given year (.2% or 1 in 500). Persons owning property in these zones may want to consider obtaining professional advice about their flood risk.

I'll look for AE and get back
Here we go, all this is on the FEMA site:

Flood hazard areas identified on the Flood Insurance Rate Map are identified as a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). SFHA are defined as the area that will be inundated by the flood event having a 1-percent chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year. The 1-percent annual chance flood is also referred to as the base flood or 100-year flood. SFHAs are labeled as Zone A, Zone AO, Zone AH, Zones A1-A30, Zone AE, Zone A99, Zone AR, Zone AR/AE, Zone AR/AO, Zone AR/A1-A30, Zone AR/A, Zone V, Zone VE, and Zones V1-V30. Moderate flood hazard areas, labeled Zone B or Zone X (shaded) are also shown on the FIRM, and are the areas between the limits of the base flood and the 0.2-percent-annual-chance (or 500-year) flood. The areas of minimal flood hazard, which are the areas outside the SFHA and higher than the elevation of the 0.2-percent-annual-chance flood, are labeled Zone C or Zone X (unshaded).

Old 04-17-2015, 03:02 PM

OKay, am I just extremely dense? I plugged in an address and it showed a little red square on the lot, but no other reference to anything and no red anything in the color key. And if it is in this 100 year flood zone, is that the zone where the prices will be changing/ going up? will people now paying 2000 a year be charged 1000 a month? Is there a cap on insurance premiums being raised?
Can anyone recommend a local florida quality insurance company that i can just call and ask about the general area i am interested in?

Old 04-17-2015, 03:20 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,969 times
Quote:
OKay, am I just extremely dense? NO

I plugged in an address and it showed a little red square on the lot, but no other reference to anything and no red anything in the color key. That's all there is. Maybe its just my computer, but I have a hard time distinguishing the colors.

And if it is in this 100 year flood zone, is that the zone where the prices will be changing/ going up? Yes

will people now paying 2000 a year be charged 1000 a month? ??? Who knows what it will be.

Is there a cap on insurance premiums being raised? Not sure. This all seems in flux. I deliberately did not get in a flood zone, so haven't followed the amounts closely. It seems like people are shocked. And it seems like it just gets worse and worse. But that is a general impression--not an informed opinion,

Can anyone recommend a local florida quality insurance company that i can just call and ask about the general area i am interested in? The prices are federally mandated so all should give you the same price.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:39 PM

thank you Cardiff. Thank you, everyone.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:00 PM

There are several excellent threads on the Sarasota forum about flood insurance over the past year, but let's see if I can condense some of this for you.

The Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012 tried to limit or eliminate subsidies so that premiums were at full risk rates. A full risk rating means that the premium is based on the elevation of the lowest floor compared to the Base Flood Elevation. The full risk rates gave many property owners sticker shock, especially those on barrier islands and along coastlines in FL. As response to the outcry, the Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of was passed by Congress. The Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act amended and delayed some of the changes made under the 2012 Act but did not repeal it.

On April 1, 2015, changes to the National Flood Insurance Program as required by the Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of 2014 became effective:

Flood insurance annual rate increases for primary, owner-occupied residences built before 1978 (i.e., pre-FIRM structures) will increase by not more than 18 percent, plus annual surcharge. These rates, although having an annual cap, may still go up each year until they reach the full-risk rate.

Pre-FIRM vacation, rental, and business properties will continue to go up by 25 percent per year, plus annual surcharge, until they reach the full-risk rate, the same increase mandated under the 2012 Act.

Pre-FIRM structures substantially damaged or improved – that is, reconstructed at a cost that equals or exceeds 50 percent of the structure’s market value before the improvement – will have an annual rate increase of 25 percent. (This represents a change from the 2012 Act that reclassified all substantially damaged buildings as post-FIRM and immediately required full-risk rates.)

Starting April 1, 2015, an annual surcharge is added to all flood insurance policies: $25 to primary residential structures and $250 to non-primary residential and non-residential structures.

A new option for a deductible up to $10,000 for single family and two-to-four family dwellings was created to help make some policies more affordable. If this higher deductible is used, it must apply to both the building and the building contents. According FEMA, choosing the maximum deductible can result in up to a 40 percent discount from the base premium, but there is no guarantee that mortgage companies and other lenders will accept this higher deductible.

The latest version allows temporary “grandfathered rates” for eligible property owners of structures built in compliance with a prior flood rate map after a new one is published. Under the grandfathering provision, after the first year premium, full-risk rates are to be phased in by a maximum cap of 18 percent per year.

There are several aspects to the grandfathering for flood insurance purposes. One aspect is the 50% rule.
Basically the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) requires that if the cost of reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition or improvements to a building equals or exceeds 50% of the building's market value (building, NOT the building plus land under it), then the building must meet the same construction and elevation requirements as a new building under FEMA guidelines. So if you are considering the purchase of a pre-FIRM built home that has undergone significant remodeling, you will want to take this 50% rule into consideration.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
I hear ya, I asked about the actual meaning of the letter designations in the "It's the Storm Surge that matters" thread. No replies. It must be some super sekrit codes that lay-people aren't supposed to be able to understand.
The evacuation maps are color coded.

Level A = mandatory evacuation of all mobile homes + anyone located in the red colored areas. High tides of up to 7 ft expected.

Level B = mandatory evacuation of all mobile homes + people located in red and orange colored areas. High tides of up to 15 ft expected.

Level C = mandatory evacuation of mobile homes + people located in red, orange and yellow colored areas. High tides of up to 26 ft expected.

Level D = mandatory evacuation of mobile homes + people located in red, orange, yellow and green colored areas. High tides of up to 33 feet expected.

Level E = mandatory evacuation of mobile homes + people located in red, orange, yellow, green and purple areas. High tides of up to 35 feet expected.

Something else worth noting for pet owners, of the 38 hurricane shelters in our area, only 6 allow you to bring your pets with you and you have to bring along proof that their vaccinations are current.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:57 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,452 times
Thanks but my head's spinning... I think I'll just take the cowards way out and tell our realtor - don't show us anything in a flood zone. Less aspirin that way.

But thanks for trying to educate me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I found this:

Please see the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s website FEMA.gov | Federal Emergency Management Agency for the official definition of these terms and guidance what you should do with this information. Use the following as a general guide only:
1. In general, areas in Zone X (green) are considered to be outside of the 100 year floodplain and are considered by FEMA to have a low risk of flooding. However, there are exceptions to this which are beyond the scope of this information. Other sources such as your subdivision plat, mortgage companies, insurance companies, or surveyor can help.
2. Zones A (Purple) and AE (Red) are areas are considered by FEMA to be within a 100 year floodplain and have a higher risk of flooding (a 1% chance of flooding in any given year). Persons owning property in these zones may want to consider obtaining professional advice about their flood risk.
3. If a property is within the 500 year floodplain (Yellow), this means that the area is considered by FEMA to be outside of the 100 year floodplain but has a higher risk of flooding in any given year (.2% or 1 in 500). Persons owning property in these zones may want to consider obtaining professional advice about their flood risk.

I'll look for AE and get back
Here we go, all this is on the FEMA site:

Flood hazard areas identified on the Flood Insurance Rate Map are identified as a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). SFHA are defined as the area that will be inundated by the flood event having a 1-percent chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year. The 1-percent annual chance flood is also referred to as the base flood or 100-year flood. SFHAs are labeled as Zone A, Zone AO, Zone AH, Zones A1-A30, Zone AE, Zone A99, Zone AR, Zone AR/AE, Zone AR/AO, Zone AR/A1-A30, Zone AR/A, Zone V, Zone VE, and Zones V1-V30. Moderate flood hazard areas, labeled Zone B or Zone X (shaded) are also shown on the FIRM, and are the areas between the limits of the base flood and the 0.2-percent-annual-chance (or 500-year) flood. The areas of minimal flood hazard, which are the areas outside the SFHA and higher than the elevation of the 0.2-percent-annual-chance flood, are labeled Zone C or Zone X (unshaded).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
The evacuation maps are color coded.

Level A = mandatory evacuation of all mobile homes + anyone located in the red colored areas. High tides of up to 7 ft expected.

Level B = mandatory evacuation of all mobile homes + people located in red and orange colored areas. High tides of up to 15 ft expected.

Level C = mandatory evacuation of mobile homes + people located in red, orange and yellow colored areas. High tides of up to 26 ft expected.

Level D = mandatory evacuation of mobile homes + people located in red, orange, yellow and green colored areas. High tides of up to 33 feet expected.

Level E = mandatory evacuation of mobile homes + people located in red, orange, yellow, green and purple areas. High tides of up to 35 feet expected.

Something else worth noting for pet owners, of the 38 hurricane shelters in our area, only 6 allow you to bring your pets with you and you have to bring along proof that their vaccinations are current.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area