Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:59 AM

12 posts, read 32,084 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a 32 year old female in the medical field considering a job in southwest florida. The position is somewhat complicated and would have me traveling between 3 offices - sarasota, port charlotte, and bonita springs. It's about a 2 hours span between the farthest two locations. I can have some say about which place(s) I want to spend more time at, depending on where I choose to live. For example, I could split time between Port Charlotte and Sarasota and only go to Bonita a couple times per month if living in the Sarasota/Venice area seemed to be best. Conversely, I would have to make sure to go to the Sarasota and Port Charlotte areas once weekly at minimum.

In doing some research, I figure the best places for someone my age to live would be Sarsota, Venice, Fort Myers/Cape Coral. Any thoughts on these places? I would be looking to get out and meet other people my age. I am single, so would also be looking to find someone to settle down with. I like having lots of cute shops and restaurants and would prefer some sort of walkable downtown area. I love fresh food and healthy/green living. I also like being outside and want plenty of different options about things to do.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 AM

17,592 posts, read 39,327,296 times
I would recommend Sarasota all the way, for what you are looking for. It has everything on your wish list. Venice is a much older population, and much much smaller. Lots of cute shops, cafes, green living, etc here, not to mention fantastic beaches, lots of arts and amenities. But you should check it all out for yourself. Again, if I were choosing, it would be Sarasota; but then I live here and LOVE it!!!

Good luck to you!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:54 AM

157 posts, read 390,414 times
In my mid 30's and live on siesta key in Sarasota, sounds like downtown sarasota or siesta would be perfect for you. loads going on. good luck with your move

Old 04-15-2012, 02:26 PM

3,978 posts, read 10,591,495 times
City of North Port - http://cityofnorthport.com/
Median Age 39.1 – lots of local shops between Sumter and Salford, 20 minutes to Venice Beach, 10 minutes to Port Charlotte mall, affordable living. Located in southern Sarasota County, close to I-75 for traveling back and forth between your work destinations. Lots of parks around for outdoor activities year round.

City of Sarasota - http://www.sarasotagov.com/
Median Age 40 - A lot more cultural activities and beaches. Cost of living and housing is more expensive than North Port. Plenty of shopping and exits to I-75. Most of the walkable areas are expensive to live in.

Port Charlotte/Charlotte County – Median Age 49
Chamber of Commerce - http://www.charlottecountychamber.org/
Charlotte County Government - http://charlottecountyfl.com/government.asp

City of Venice - http://venicegov.com/
Median Age 68 – Venice is a nice city with walkable shops downtown and several beaches, but the age group is older than you are looking for. However, there are some young families that live it the area and many of the communities are mixed age groups.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the advice. All of your recommendations are definitely swaying me towards Sarasota. I'm going to check it out this week. TamRE, adding the median age really helped put things in perspective!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 AM

37,350 posts, read 60,121,643 times
My daughter married a guy who bought a small condo in Venice close to Venice Beach--
he wanted the laid-back, slow pace that Venice has (mainly because of the senior population)
it was difficult when she moved because he was gone for work S-F and she was alone
even though she was working, she had no friends in the condo (all senior citizens eventhough it is not required 55+)
the one positive factor in choosing Venice is that it is very safe for a single female
she felt safe enough to ride her bike along the beach road in the evenings and sleep with her windows open (2nd floor) when he was out of town
but most areas in Sarasota have same low crime and more options for meeting people

but to them--living in Venice/Nokomis area for going on 8 yrs now--the Sarasota traffic drives them crazy--and they would not want to move there for more entertainment options since they feel there are ones in their area that work just fine...

this is older thread about same topic but lot of bickering
read it for any positive info at your risk
https://www.city-data.com/forum/saras...33-year-5.html

Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

but to them--living in Venice/Nokomis area for going on 8 yrs now--the Sarasota traffic drives them crazy--and they would not want to move there for more entertainment options since they feel there are ones in their area that work just fine...

this is older thread about same topic but lot of bickering
read it for any positive info at your risk
https://www.city-data.com/forum/saras...33-year-5.html
Thanks. I actually did find that post. Some decent info, but definitely lots of bickering! I would imagine traffic is all up to perspective. I currently live in northern NJ and commute into manhattan once per week, so I have a feeling Sarasota traffic would be an improvement. That being said, I think I would prefer more to see and do as well so have pretty much taken venice off of my list.

I'm going to visit Sarasota tomorrow. Anyone have any good suggestions for places to check out?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 AM

17,592 posts, read 39,327,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua22 View Post
Thanks. I actually did find that post. Some decent info, but definitely lots of bickering! I would imagine traffic is all up to perspective. I currently live in northern NJ and commute into manhattan once per week, so I have a feeling Sarasota traffic would be an improvement. That being said, I think I would prefer more to see and do as well so have pretty much taken venice off of my list.

I'm going to visit Sarasota tomorrow. Anyone have any good suggestions for places to check out?
Believe me, traffic is NOTHING here, and I am one who despises traffic!

You definitely want to check out the downtown area, then go over the bridge to St. Armand's Circle and Lido Beach. This whole region is very vibrant with tons of restaurants, cafes, clubs, shops, grocery, parks, beaches - whatever you want, really.

Then go further south and check out Siesta Key and its beaches and the small but extremely active Siesta Village. Not sure how much time you have to spend but there is way too much to list here. some of our realtors have posted great blog posts listing most of the assets and activities of the Sarasota area if you do a search.

Have fun!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:48 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,689,251 times
I find the traffic in Venice/Nokomis to be more hair pulling than in Sarasota. We lived there for 4+ years & hated it. Anyone that enjoys driving 40 in the left lane, in a 55mph zone might like it though

If you like convenience of things, a younger demographic, the arts, activities & a shot at nightlife, I will agree, you should be looking in Sarasota- not Venice/Nokomis.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 PM

I just got back from my trip to Florida. I love Sarasota! Gypsychic, I visited most of the places you listed (except Siesta Village). The keys are gorgeous. I understand why Siesta beach was voted #1 in the country. I really loved the cute downtown area and St. Armand's Cir. I think I would be pretty happy in Sarasota. Palmer ranch seemed like it might be a good option for a place to live to have easy access to the highway yet still be able to access all the fun things to do in Sarasota.

One last question - right now the two jobs at the top of my list are this one and one in Charleston. Any opinions on which would be better? Pros and cons of each?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area