Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:03 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,360,637 times

Advertisements

Am I the only person here who assumed this thread was about feeling sort of down and not being up to the relocation process due to your clinical depression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 PM

386 posts, read 1,020,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesaw View Post
My husband and I have family in Sarasota and we visit often. We are in Sarasota this weekend.

I remember 10-15 years ago I would look forward to visiting Sarasota, and today I dislike everything about the place! It used to be a great little city with down to Earth weirdos, but now everyone is so fake here. All the store fronts were transformed into opulent cafes. It is too expensive for my tastes. I think that people who are truly wealthy, will think this is too expensive and snooty feeling. Where did all these fake-rich people come from? I'm not buying in to this new Sarasota. I like how it is a popular vacation destination, but the "locals" rub me like it's this mediocre kind of fako-chic competition. It's swanky for a town of Baby Boomers living on Social Security and Medicaid. Sometimes I see a few younger people in Sarasota that look local and cool, but they look sad and bored. Sarasota paints a picture like it is a corporate hide-a-away for narcissistic Baby Boomers. These people make me feel sick.
JMHO but I just don't "get" where you're coming from with that snarky, negative post. Down to Earth Weirdos? Fako-chic competition? Corporate hide-away for narcissistic Baby Boomers? Come on! Just where are you coming from? Can we help you? Is there a problem?

Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 AM

41 posts, read 63,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Am I the only person here who assumed this thread was about feeling sort of down and not being up to the relocation process due to your clinical depression?
No, I thought the same thing

Old 03-27-2012, 06:05 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,360,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrita View Post
JMHO but I just don't "get" where you're coming from with that snarky, negative post. Down to Earth Weirdos? Fako-chic competition? Corporate hide-away for narcissistic Baby Boomers? Come on! Just where are you coming from? Can we help you? Is there a problem?
I totally agree with this perspective. I thought that was a totally uncalled-for and bizarre post, none of which makes a shred of sense. It should be disregarded.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 AM

12 posts, read 33,451 times
Well. My husband and I moved from PA to FL 3-1/2 months ago. We have been staying in Port Charlotte with my family the whole time and are finally moving to our own place in Sarasota. Port Charlotte is nice. Its pretty clean, laid back. There are tons of beautiful homes for sale at low prices. You have all your basic needs nearby. Other than that, its pretty much the most boring place I have ever been to. The highlight of my day is going to WalMart. Most locals I have met agree, if you want to do anything, you have to travel either to Sarasota or Fort Myers. We arent party animals, but we are in our late 20's and like to go out and do things. You really cant do that in PC, other than going to a restaurant.
It just lacks any culture or any energy. Its just there. Again, its very NICE, but thats about it.
I think it all depends on what you want. If you dont mind a quiet, sleepy town, then PC is great. If you like to go out and have any sort of entertainment, you really want to avoid Port Charlotte. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:41 PM

60 posts, read 111,680 times
"Other than that, its pretty much the most boring place I have ever been to."

I like Boring

Old 03-27-2012, 03:50 PM

499 posts, read 583,965 times
Quote:
I agree with you 100%

Old 03-27-2012, 05:28 PM

188 posts, read 334,051 times
Quote:
Haha! I thought that's how it might come off, but I had already used "Area too depressed for relocation" and the system wouldn't let me use it again. I couldn't come up with another word for high unemployment, low home values so I went with it. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:39 PM

188 posts, read 334,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingmedley View Post
Well. My husband and I moved from PA to FL 3-1/2 months ago. We have been staying in Port Charlotte with my family the whole time and are finally moving to our own place in Sarasota. Port Charlotte is nice. Its pretty clean, laid back. There are tons of beautiful homes for sale at low prices. You have all your basic needs nearby. Other than that, its pretty much the most boring place I have ever been to. The highlight of my day is going to WalMart. Most locals I have met agree, if you want to do anything, you have to travel either to Sarasota or Fort Myers. We arent party animals, but we are in our late 20's and like to go out and do things. You really cant do that in PC, other than going to a restaurant.
It just lacks any culture or any energy. Its just there. Again, its very NICE, but thats about it.
I think it all depends on what you want. If you dont mind a quiet, sleepy town, then PC is great. If you like to go out and have any sort of entertainment, you really want to avoid Port Charlotte. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks! That actually sounds perfect to me! I love the little town I'm living in now and would describe it the same way you just described PC... sleepy, nice, safe, clean. I have a Walmart a few miles away plus one other grocery store, a couple restaraunts, banks and lots of parks and walking trails in town. Costco and the mall are 20 minutes away. Target, Starbucks and a movie theater are about 10. And all this is 45 minutes from downtown SLC if I really want to venture out. I only do that a couple times a year.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:21 PM

12 posts, read 33,451 times
No prob. I dont want to bash Port Charlotte, because it really is a great place for the right person. Punta Gorda is beautiful too. You are pretty close to larger cities too if you want to venture out and do something different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area