Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM

8,266 posts, read 4,671,045 times

Advertisements

Sarasota to get rid of parking meters | HeraldTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
Sarasota is a GREAT place, in spite of the clowns who run the place.
MILLIONS wasted on the garage & meters, and now, maybe the silliest of all, the "2 Hour Parking" signs that need to now be put back no longer exist, so they have to go buy new signs!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Sarasota is a GREAT place, in spite of the clowns who run the place.
MILLIONS wasted on the garage & meters, and now, maybe the silliest of all, the "2 Hour Parking" signs that need to now be put back no longer exist, so they have to go buy new signs!
Agreed. It is like a confederacy of dunces.

They seem to do the wrong thing almost as a policy.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Look for more revenue cameras on traffic lights to make up for the lost revenue from parking meters.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:46 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
The garage might not be so bad IF they would have put the walkout exit/entry toward Main Street, where most people go. Instead, they exit is a block north so folks would be forced to walk by the retail shops when they walk the extra block back toward Main street.

Who wants to walk an extra block in the hot/humid summers, or during rainy season when T-storms are taking place.

Between the City of Venice and the City of Sarasota, we have oodles of newspaper articles and head scratching antics that continue year after year after year.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 PM

67 posts, read 159,508 times
I heard the reason for the meters were because of the business owners parking their vehicles all day along the streets and not leaving many spaces for shoppers and diners. The ramp is perfect for the business owners to park in. I don't think it's too much to ask that they walk a few extra steps in this beautiful FLorida weather.
I also have an idea, if the city police would pull ppl over for simply NOT using turn signals they could probably hire a whole fleet of officers just to do that AND drive revenue for the city. $25 a pop. I have never seen so many cars without turn signals. Maybe it's just an option on Florida vehicles. I may just call the city planners with this one.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:42 PM

398 posts, read 822,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccright View Post
I heard the reason for the meters were because of the business owners parking their vehicles all day along the streets and not leaving many spaces for shoppers and diners. The ramp is perfect for the business owners to park in. I don't think it's too much to ask that they walk a few extra steps in this beautiful FLorida weather.
I also have an idea, if the city police would pull ppl over for simply NOT using turn signals they could probably hire a whole fleet of officers just to do that AND drive revenue for the city. $25 a pop. I have never seen so many cars without turn signals. Maybe it's just an option on Florida vehicles. I may just call the city planners with this one.
Yes the employees are the happiest of all they can park free again right by the door !

Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The garage might not be so bad IF they would have put the walkout exit/entry toward Main Street, where most people go. Instead, they exit is a block north so folks would be forced to walk by the retail shops when they walk the extra block back toward Main street.

Who wants to walk an extra block in the hot/humid summers, or during rainy season when T-storms are taking place.

Between the City of Venice and the City of Sarasota, we have oodles of newspaper articles and head scratching antics that continue year after year after year.
And wouldn't you think there should be some sort of security in the garage?
There is NONE. But there is a booth for an attendant. A booth. That's it.
The kids are in there every night skateboarding up & down the ramps and onto the street, almost hitting people. And parties on the roof.

And how about maybe a bathroom?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:39 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Someone in the SHT article questioned who would pay to enforce parking restrictions. Are we supposed to believe that the old tire chaulking squad in their scooters didn't make even enough money giving out parking tickets to pay their salaries? They need only one parking ticket an hour to cover their salary.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,502 times
you know, i don't want to turn this into a political post, but in the two years i've lived here I've seen enough government stupidity to justify just voting out whoever is in office. So, if you don't like what you see, next election just do it.
That's the only option left to voters, so either run for office, or run them out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area