Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:35 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times

Advertisements

We spent last winter in Cape Coral in a home that was on one of the canals with a dock. Loved it! Great to have the water view, watch the fish jumping and the birds (even saw a manatee once!). And having the boat right outside the door was terrific.

While we were VERY pleased with the affordable prices in CC, we just didn't care for the town. Older homes, only one (old) movie theater, a serious lack of ethnic restaurants, etc. We ended up going to Ft Myers a lot, where we had to deal with traffic, and still had older homes - and some questionable neighborhoods.

We took a couple of day trips to Sarasota, and have heard that Braedenton is nice. We sort of liked Charlotte Harbor. We are retired and open to a newer SFR or condo - and would consider an over 55 community.

Our budget would be $150-$250K for a 2-3 berm, 2 bath. Preferably less than ten years old, but we might adjust that.

In CC, there were tons of choices on canals, and some on the riverfront or intercoastal. Many with docks, sometimes boat lifts, or a community marina.

Are we going to find anything like that in other areas that are within a ten minute drive of shopping, restaurants, bars, etc? Suggest any area of Florida (or possibly the Gulf Coast) - we are wide open!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 06:03 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Click the image below to see some current listings:
Houses or condos with docks or marinas-waterfront-properties.jpg

Burnt Store Marina is the only gated community in the Burnt Store area.

It features the largest, deep water marina on the southwestern Gulf coast, with 525 wet boat slips, some with up to 100 feet capacity. With over 200 dry dock positions, outside store, a fueling dock and a ship store, this is a boater’s dream. Fish for trout, pompano, tarpon and redfish or relax in a graceful sail boat. Sail Magazine ranked this area as one of the top ten places to sail. The basin is only ten miles to the Gulf of Mexico, and Charlotte Harbor is the second-largest estuary in Florida, encompassing 270 square miles.

And there are plenty of other things to do! How about the 27-hole golf course and pro shop, the fine restaurants, community center, gourmet delicatessen, tennis courts, fitness center, walking paths, and a breathtaking view of the sunset over Charlotte Harbor! You can choose from estate homes, condos, villas and town homes. Only forty minutes from the Fort Myers airport, your Burnt Store Marina dream home features beautiful landscaping, spectacular views, a guardhouse with manned security, and all the charm of an old Floridian port. Burnt Store Marina is a true gem! It takes about 10 minutes to get into the City of Punta Gorda and about 30 minutes to get to Port Charlotte.

Burnt Store Marina

Homeowner Association

Web site: http://www.bsm22.org/index.htm

Starboard Point – Right off Charlotte Harbor and is located right next door to Fishermen’s Village in Punta Gorda. View of Marina and Harbor. Amenities: tropical landscaping, heated pool, tennis courts, under building garage parking, guest parking, elevators. Maintenance includes: Bldg Exterior, Flood Ins, Grount Maint, manager, Rec Facility, Roof, Trash Removal, Water/Sewer. Walking distance to Gilchrest Park, Punta Gorda and historic district and the Visual Arts Bldg.

Peace Harbor Condo – Fixed next to a large section of mangrove looking at the bay, harbor, and river. Gorgeous sunsets with a pool and hot tub situated on top of a peninsula community. Close to downtown, boat docks available, under building parking. Community Features: Pool, deed restrictions, dock, elevators, fees req, fishing pier, gated community, tenants, no pets. Maintenance: Bldg Ext, Escrow Reserve, Ground Maint, Maint Repair, Manager, Public Ins, Rec Facility, Roof, Trash Removal, Water/Sewer

Bella Lago at Vivante – Harbor views, development with premier amenities. Elevators, gated community, pool, Rec bldg. Maintenance: Ground Maint, Maint Repair, Public Ins, Rec Facility, Roof, Security, Trash Removal, Water/Sewer.
Vivante at Punta Gorda is your special place for Mediterranean style condo architecture nestled in a historic setting of tropical landscaping with incredible harbor views. And, it is a lot more than just another pretty place, Vivante is an outstanding waterfront condominium community noted for their dedication to a healthy active Florida lifestyle for their residents. Those fortunate enough to live here already enjoy a variety of community amenities, health centers and spa services.
Some outstanding community amenities for Vivante at Punta Gorda include:
· A 12,000 square foot Clubhouse
· Outdoor recreational areas
· Six Har-Tru tennis courts with cabana and pro shop
· State-of-the-Art fitness centers
· Resort-style infinity edge pool
· A dedicated lap pool for swimmers
· A Club room with bar for entertaining
· A wireless business center
· Sidewalks and paved brick walking paths
· Spa services for manicures, pedicures, massages and more
Nature provided the exquisite beauty for this prime coastal real estate. But we provided the Mediterranean flavor and added a sense of European flair to make our condominium community stand apart from the rest. Vivante at Punta Gorda is a place for living life to its fullest. Visit our Builders page to read more about our Luxury Condos Punta Gorda Florida builders.
Invest in Luxury Condos Punta Gorda Florida on Gulf Coast Charlotte Harbor. Enjoy the warm protected waterways that beckon to a retirement of boating, world-class game fishing, and other pursuits enhanced by the salt air. Call today for an appointment and check out our state-of-the-art fitness center, our resort-style infinity edge pool, or just sit poolside taking in the stunning views of beautiful Charlotte Harbor.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:19 AM

My gosh - what a great deal of information! Thank you.

We looked AR Burnt Store when we were there. Some of the sections were old - and looked it. Others were very nice. But to us, it was just too far away from anything else - PG was closer to a 15-20 minute drive. Just too isolated.

I will happily look at the others you mentioned. But do any have docks/marinas where one can park a boat - or is that at an additional cost above the condo fees? And peace harbor doesn't allow pets at all?

None of these are in Sarasota. Is that because it's not your territory or because it's not in our price range?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:49 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
My gosh - what a great deal of information! Thank you.

We looked AR Burnt Store when we were there. Some of the sections were old - and looked it. Others were very nice. But to us, it was just too far away from anything else - PG was closer to a 15-20 minute drive. Just too isolated.

I will happily look at the others you mentioned. But do any have docks/marinas where one can park a boat - or is that at an additional cost above the condo fees? And peace harbor doesn't allow pets at all?

None of these are in Sarasota. Is that because it's not your territory or because it's not in our price range?

Did you look at Punta Gorda Isles? There are a lot of great restaurants, it is a boaters paradise. And, I'm sure you can find something on a canal in your price range. Also consider joining the Punta Gorda Isles Civic Association. You have to live in the Isles in order to join. They have a lot of activities going on all the time. Check out www.pgica.org.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Look in Englewood. The northern part is a few minutes from Venice and lots of shopping and restaurants there. The southern part of Englewood is close to Port Charlotte where there is a mall and restauants. Englewood is split between 2 counties - Sarasota for the northern part and Charlotte county for the southern part.

There are condos, homes, and mobile home parks on the water in your price range. I am not an agent so can't give you details. But there are a many to choose from. It is a very nice area - safe, quiet, nice prices, close to shopping. Several gulf beaches for swimming in Englewood and many more in nearby Venice. Million dollar mansions too - mostly on the water. But you can find decent prices on the water (non beach front) as well. Englewood Isles subdivision might fit your needs. But there are many others also. There are lots of manatees here too. I saw 4 just the other day, all swimming together.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:17 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
The information I previously gave you are listings in Punta Gorda. You will find that most of Englewood and Port Charlotte/Charlotte Harbor are older homes. There may be some canal homes in South Gulf Cove or Rotonda West. Are you looking for a single family home in a deed restricted community or are you open to a single family home in a non-deed restricted area as well?

Here are some condos in Englewood.
Village at Oyster Creek
Community Features:Asso Rec Own, Comm Htd Pool, Dock, Elevators, Spc Com Restr, Tenants No Pet, Wtrfrnt CmplexCable, Bldg Exter, Escrow Resrv, Flood Insur, Bldg Insur, Manager, Rec Faclty, Roof, Ground Mtnce, Private Road

Click images below to see listings:

Houses or condos with docks or marinas-englewood-condo-village-oyster-creek.jpg

Houses or condos with docks or marinas-village-oyster-creek.jpg

Old 08-10-2011, 11:32 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times
There are some canal front or canal access options in your price range in Sarasota and also in NW Bradenton near the Anna Maria or Cortez bridges. Are you looking for the waterfront aspect or do you have a boat? If you have now or plan to buy a boat, what size and type as not all canals may be deep enough or docks long enough to accomodate yours. If you give me a little more information as to what you're looking for, I can suggest some communities or condo complexes.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Where I live in PGI, my neighbor has a 40' yatch, and he gets in and out ok. Plus, from my house it is a 5 minute ride out to the harbor. I go out Bass Inlet near Fisherman's Village. You do need to understand how far / long it takes to get out to open water when the MLS says Gulf Access. Some places can take you 45 minutes or more to get out.

Punta Gorda Isle seems like an age restricted community, but there are plenty of places that will work in your price range that have boat lifts, pools, and harbor access. There is no HOA fees here either. I pay a pool maintenance company to care for my pool, and my lawn guy is great. The cost for both of these services is way less then you would pay an HOA fees. If anything happens to the concrete canal walls, the town will replace it for you with no additional cost to you. They charge $400 for that per year in your taxes. The town will even come out and take care of any back-filling behind the wall if you need it, so you don't even have to do that.

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me again.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:46 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,535,442 times
If you want an area that has much to offer in the way of cultural activities (plays, dinner theaters, ballet, concerts, Broadway shows, etc) and diversity in dining and shopping, than the Sarasota may be more of what you're looking for.

In the Osprey area you may wish to look into:

Sorrento Villas - this community is just south of Sarasota and the units have deeded boat docks and reasonable HOA fees. It's also close to Nokomis Beach. Units start at around $170k.

Blackburn Harbor is another villa community in the same Osprey area that offers boat docks, community pool, tennis & fitness as well. These were built in the early 90's with prices at about $250k.

Off of Vamo Rd, near the Sarasota Square Mall is a large resort-style community, Pelican Cover. PC has 6 community pools, 3 clubhouses, 87 boat slips tennis, social club & more. It was built around 1980 and units start at around $140,000 for a 3 bdrm/2 bath condo needing a little updating.

Sarasota:

There is one small community built in the early 80's, Whitaker Bayou, that has deeded boat dockage. It's very close to the downtown area. The units are on the small side (958 sq ft), but price is too at $75k.

There are other Sarasota communities with salt water views but not boat docks. If you'd like info on them, let me know.

Longboat Key:

You can actually find some condo communities on Longboat Key in your price range. Most are built in the 70's - early 90's. Longboat Key has public beach access spots to the beach, but no large public beaches such as you find on Siesta Key. Longboat Key is also quieter. I had the opportunity in May to spend a week at a LB Key condo with family and it the beaches were quiet and beautiful, plus the island puts a priority on maintenance of the areas along the roadways, which are loaded with flowering trees and native plants.

Longboat Arms has deeded beach access, docks & boat ramp, community clubhouse & pool, plus tennis, with prices starting at around $229k.

Beach Harbour Club has similar amenities starting at $215k.

Spanish Main Yaucht Club Condos is a 55+ community offering villas. It has a pool and marina. Most of the units I've seen have been priced close to $200k but there is a short sale listed at $139k that needs a new roof (which buyer will have to replace).

Bradenton:

NW Bradenton has several condo communities on the waterfront.

Perico Bay Club off of Manatee Ave is probably the best known and most popular of the group. This is a gated community with 8 neighborhoods that were built between the mid 80's to late 90's. It offers community pools, clubhouse, fishing piers. Prices start at around $220k.

Palma Sola Harbour is another waterfront community off of Cortez. It has villas built in the mid 70's starting at $180k. Amenities include clubhouse, pools, tennis & fitness.

Waterway Condo is a waterfront community also off of Cortez with units starting at around $200k. It has boat slips, clubhouse, pool, tennis and fitness.

All of these are just minutes away from Bradenton Beach & Anna Maria Island, which offers restaurants, bars, shops and a beautiful beach.

There are some others, but these are probably the best known in the Sarasota - Bradenton area in the price range you're looking for.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
The information I previously gave you are listings in Punta Gorda. You will find that most of Englewood and Port Charlotte/Charlotte Harbor are older homes. There may be some canal homes in South Gulf Cove or Rotonda West. Are you looking for a single family home in a deed restricted community or are you open to a single family home in a non-deed restricted area as well?

Here are some condos in Englewood.
Village at Oyster Creek
Community Features:Asso Rec Own, Comm Htd Pool, Dock, Elevators, Spc Com Restr, Tenants No Pet, Wtrfrnt CmplexCable, Bldg Exter, Escrow Resrv, Flood Insur, Bldg Insur, Manager, Rec Faclty, Roof, Ground Mtnce, Private Road

Click images below to see listings:

Attachment 83493

Attachment 83494
thank you again! A couple of questions, please, Tam?

What is a "deed restricted" home? We have Home Owner's Associations (HOA's) in Arizona. Is this the same thing?

I noticed a couple of things you pulled say "tenants no pets". Does that mean that if we rent the place, the tenants cannot have pets - but WE can (I recognize that there are probably weight and number limitations in condo's.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area