Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 10:38 PM

35 posts, read 202,750 times

Advertisements

We have made the decision to pursue our dream of moving to Florida, once we can find jobs. We have 2 high school aged daughters. One is in "A" and "B" level courses, and will be going to college in 2012, in Florida of course! The other has an intellectual disability, and needs courses that are academic but that will also prepare her for employment after high school. I am looking for people's thoughts on the high schools in the Sarasota area, and anyone's experiences with ESE in these schools. I have looked at the websites for Booker, Riverview, and Sarasota, but am looking for personal opinions and experiences as well before I contact the schools. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 04:57 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Whichever school you decide to send your daughters’ to, I would recommend Sarasota County Technical Institute for your daughter with a learning disability if you are looking for employment placement after graduation. She would attend a regular high school as well as the SCTI. Here is their web site for more information and programs available: http://sarasotatech.org/

Student Services – Special Needs

The Special Needs Support Services staff is available for those persons with learning disabilities; physical, hearing, or vision impairments; and other disabilities, as identified. The student must have documentation of his/her disability to be eligible for the program.
The staff assists people with disabilities to successfully complete a technical training program by providing the following services:
·Counseling and planning individual educational goals
·Accommodating testing
·Modifying instruction for training programs
·Tutoring on an individual or small group basis
·Identifying assistive equipment and physical setting needs
·Cooperating with agencies for employment preparation.
Please call (941) 924-1365 x62342 for more information.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:13 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I attended Booker but it was a long time ago. From what I understand not a whole lot has changed. They have a fantastic performing arts program, which is why I was there. The kids that come out of their arts program are some of the best in the state. Their academic program is somewhat lacking though. When I attended there were a lot of fights and just kids in general that didn't care to learn.

Then you have Riverview and Sarasota. Out of the two I have the most knowledge about Riverview. Everyone I speak to who has kids there is very happy. They have a great IB program and a pretty cool kilt marching band. So for you daughter who is an A-B student I'd look into Riverview High. I'd also suggest Riverview, possibly for your other kid.

I usually deal with Liz Elliott in Gifted services over at the county and she's always very helpful. I think you would need to speak to Sarah Hickey: Sarasota County Schools Pupil Support Services She should be able to guide you in the right direction.

If you want state stats and general opinions you can look here:
School Accountability Report ....
www.greatschools.com

Good luck with it

Last edited by SoFLGal; 07-31-2011 at 08:36 AM..

Old 07-31-2011, 08:29 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Our friend Oobie will give you some helpful advice too! She is one of our posters with a lot of experience in special needs schools in SWFL.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 PM

Thanks all for the helpful advice! I will be following up on all of your leads!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresabert View Post
Thanks all for the helpful advice! I will be following up on all of your leads!
If you DM Oobie, I'm sure she will respond with a helpful reply. Good Luck.

My nephew has a mild case of autism, and my brother has done a remarkable job as a single parent raising them. He has a crew of high school kids that come over every day (he pays them of course), and they work with his son. He is never alone. He has one person that is like the organization manager, and he pays everyone. Most of the high school kids volunteer and they have made it like a project because they all want to become teachers eventually. It is amazing how far he has come this way.

When he was very young, for the first four years he never spoke - not a word, now he talks and it is almost hard to tell he has a learning issue at all. He was put in special school programs early on as well. He is a great fun kid, and everyone loves him and looks out for him. He has an older sister that gets it too, and does a lot to always look out for him as well. Because of all the support he gets from the high school kids - everyone in the school system has changed their attitudes about kids with learning disabilities - in this small town school where they live, its amazing. He is not ignored like many kids were that had learning disabilities when I was a kid.

You might see if you can get a similar program going in his/her school.
I think a few dollars helped get the ball rolling - by hiring a special baby sitter to start with, but he has changed and evolved the whole concept and taken it to a higher level.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 AM

385 posts, read 1,159,420 times
I think HS/SCTI program would definitely be worth checking into. I went to Riverview and it's a great school. It's recently been rebuilt so has new and amazing amenities.

To Bighouse, that is great your nephew is doing so well! Our son stays in school year round and during summer they bring typical children (some of them siblings) that have gone through sensitivity training into the program for peer modeling in the classroom and after school social groups. It has such tremendous results/impact with the ALL the kids. During the Aug. - May school year, the Key Club students come in from LWR HS and work with the kids. For the ones pursuing careers in Speech/OT/PT/ABA Therapy/ Special ED., it is a wonderful platform for them to begin working hands on.

The H.S. students who work with kids on the spectrum are really great kids and it's nice to hear your nephew has had so much success through his relationship with them.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Smile Services for students with cognitive disabilities

SoFlGal, I wanted to let you know that I have spoken with Sarah from Sarasota Transition Services, and she was very helpful. She let me know about the programs available for students in high school and beyond which sound very intriguing, including the program located at USF St. Pete's that provides a program for students with significant cognitive disabilities. The program pairs students with mentors and allows them to be able to be in a college setting to audit classes, learn job skills, and live on campus and socialize with other students. Thanks for the suggestion that I contact her!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresabert View Post
SoFlGal, I wanted to let you know that I have spoken with Sarah from Sarasota Transition Services, and she was very helpful. She let me know about the programs available for students in high school and beyond which sound very intriguing, including the program located at USF St. Pete's that provides a program for students with significant cognitive disabilities. The program pairs students with mentors and allows them to be able to be in a college setting to audit classes, learn job skills, and live on campus and socialize with other students. Thanks for the suggestion that I contact her!

That's terrific and great to know! I thought she might be pretty helpful. I usually deal with Liz Elliott in Gifted services and she always goes above and beyond.

Let us know how it works out after you've been here a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area