Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbguy View Post
To get a job in either local or state government, you really need to know someone. Lots of more job opportunities in Albuq. although there is some work here but you won't probably find exactly what you are looking for and may have to settle.
That's BS. You don't have to know someone. And there is a hiring freeze, anyway. Have you worked for the government? I did for 25 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 10:48 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
The facts here:
Yeah, your pension is suspended in either option. You can't double dip anymore. Although those that are already double dipping can continue to do so.

I wish people would know what they heck they are talking about before posting.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 AM

424 posts, read 953,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
That's BS. You don't have to know someone. And there is a hiring freeze, anyway. Have you worked for the government? I did for 25 years.
I'm still working for the government and have been for 28 years. Yes there is a hiring freeze but if you believe you don't need to know someone to get into the government sector, keep thinking that.....Now, if you have some unique specialty or skill set that is difficult to find that is a different story.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:10 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO
They recently changed the law regarding the double dippers.
There is nothing preventing a former state government employee
who is now collecting a pension from working in the private sector
and earning some Social Security pension money.

Also, Social Security pensioners work to earn more money.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 AM

88 posts, read 283,089 times
Hey guys thank you for your help. But as of today, we are not moving to Santa Fe after all. Hubby got a call yesterday with an offer to work in Colorado. So we're very excited to leave this dump they call Austin. It's an ok city for some people but not for us. It's a disaster. You thought you had problems in Santa Fe? It's nothing compared to Austin.

But what's brightening our outlook is that we'll be driving through Santa Fe to enjoy it for a couple of days on our way north. We'll be eating at Maria's and all the other places you recommended. As we speak I'm taking out my elastic pants so I can eat....and then eat some more! Green chiles here we come!

Best to y'all

Old 05-04-2010, 01:37 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,683 times
Congrats southernjedi. I hope it works out well for you folks.

As for Maria's, I've never understood its popularity. I talk about it with friends (we all talk about our favorite restaurants) and everyone else wonders why Maria's is popular too. I think we've got many better restaurants than that - but that topic's been covered in other threads, so I'll leave the subject.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:40 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
The facts here:
never mind

Old 05-05-2010, 05:43 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
There is nothing preventing a former state government employee
who is now collecting a pension from working in the private sector
and earning some Social Security pension money.

Also, Social Security pensioners work to earn more money.

nm

Old 05-05-2010, 05:45 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
Yeah, your pension is suspended in either option. You can't double dip anymore. Although those that are already double dipping can continue to do so.

I wish people would know what they heck they are talking about before posting.
Thank you Double dipping is returning to work for a PERA member agency, not working somewhere else. Hence the double dip which implies going back to the same well for another dip. I deleted the others because I should have had my coffee first and was a bit cranky. Sorry for wasting the posts.

Last edited by TKO; 05-05-2010 at 06:14 AM..

Old 05-20-2010, 02:50 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,922 times
Santa Fe is more of a retirement town than a place to have a 'bigtime' career (or much of a career for that matter). If you are coming here from out-of-town (or state) to retire the biggest drawback is we lack a good hospital...but Albuquerque is not too far away!
If you are moving here to work, it's pretty expensive. You might rethink your goals; like not having a big house or fancy cars or eating out once a week. I chose to come here because of the climate and outdoor activities this place offers, although they are starting to dwindle a little. I had a big-dollar career and a modest house on a big yard. I traded it for a tiny place with no yard to live here. That's not to mention the 30% actual dollar paycut I took from 45K per year to 30K. And that doesn't include the cost-of-living differential either. If you are not weathly you will sacrifice a lot for a lifestyle choice. For me, it was worth it.

Last edited by Ziasforever; 05-20-2010 at 03:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe