Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,720 times

Advertisements

You don't want to move to SF. And not just because we are fresh out of room for any more NY transplants.

Seriously, SF is a weird and wonderful place, a unique visual and sensory experience, but it ain't a nice, normal, affordable place with good jobs. It has high stats for median income, but that's because of all the very, very rich people. The *average* job...well, let's just say a few years ago when I was making $8.50 and hour, that was considered good by most people I knew. It's a great place to live if you're going to take part in the unique culture, if you're going to relish the wealth of outdoor activites, organic food (5 organic/gourmet/crunchy food stores in a city of less than 70K people), great restaurants, etc. If you just want a good job and a decent, boring condo in a decent, boring neighborhood, in a place without humidity, do yourself a favor and move to, I don't know, Denver?

Oh, and to the person who lives in Eldorado and avoids downtown like the plague...YOU are the reason dowtown has been taken over by tourists. GO DOWNTOWN! It's OURS! Eat at the Plaza restaurant, bank at First National, buy your food at the farmers' market, shop the sale racks at the chi-chi boutiques you think you can't afford. It's all we have left of the "real" city, and the longer we avoid it, the more it becomes Disneyland and the less we have left. Heck, if you're really broke, go to Canyon Road--going in the galleries is free, and while there's a lot of dreck, there's also a lot of great art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
If you are referring to me as the person who "lives in Eldorado and avoids downtown like the plague" .... well, when I DO live in Edorado I WILL go downtown but not often. I am not moving to the area to support the businesses downtown. I am moving to the Santa Fe area for reasons that don't include hanging out a lot downtown.

Of course downtown has been taken over by tourists!!...it is that kind of place. I have no interest in paying the downtown prices. I will take visitors there because I feel like it is special and wonderful and not a place to be missed by people coming to Santa Fe. But when shopping or eating out, I will be more interested in affordable places away from the downtown area. That is just the kind of person I am; I live ten miles from downtown Kansas City right now and rarely go there.

I am moving to the Santa Fe area to retire, to enjoy a new home and a slower pace of life, to enjoy the mountains and to be a good steward of the environment, to enjoy the culture and the food and the atmosphere and to watch the sky and the sunsets.

It may be a different priority than yours, and maybe different than that of Leaving NY .... but we don't all have the same reasons for why we choose to live where we do.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Of course downtown has been taken over by tourists!!...it is that kind of place.
NO! It's not. This is just false. Dowtown, in any city with a once-charming-now-touristy dowtown, is "the kind of place" that NEEDS locals in order to remain charming and special.

When I was a kid (not too long ago, I'm under 30), Sears was still dowtown in SF. The more locals feel as you do, the more dowtown will cater only to tourists, and the more of its soul it will lose.

You can have whatever priorities you want, as it's still a free country so far. But don't kid yourself--it is people like you, and your desire to shop at the big-box stores at the south end of town, and your rationalizing that dowtown is too expensive for residents but still "special" for tourists, that will eventually remove any semblance of local flavor from places like Santa Fe. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to present the facts in what may be a new way for some people.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:40 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
I have been visiting Santa Fe regularly since MANY YEARS before you were born.

Whenever people make statements such as "it is people like you"..."your rationalizing"...."the more locals feel as you do, the more dowtown will cater only to tourists, and the more of its soul it will lose"..."YOU are the reason dowtown has been taken over by tourists".....

Then I find that judgmental, and the best thing for me to do is bow out of the conversation. If we do not have mutual respect, I find no reason to reply to you further.

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to present the facts in what may be a new way for some people.
You might not be trying to be a jerk.....but...well, I can draw my own conclusions about that. And thinking in a new way? You know absolutely nothing about me and how I think. With all due respect.....

Old 09-04-2007, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,944 times
Default Glorieta & Pecos

We moved to Glorieta a little over 1 year ago from Phoenix area. You asked about horse areas. We have 2 horses and ride them into the Santa Fe Natl forest. It is uphill climb all the way and the elevation starts at about 7,300 feet. It took a while for the horses to get used to the thin air. It is a little rocky here and most land is not very flat. We put in a barn on a sloped area of the property and had to do a fair amount of fill to make it level for building. The area north of Pecos has lots of areas to ride. The Pecos Wilderness is serious mountain riding. We are going to explore that area once we get out of the summer rainy season. It starts about 9,000 and goes up from there. The area (Glorieta and Pecos) is very pretty with lots of pine trees. It is higher than Santa Fe, so the weather and topography is very different.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:11 PM
DSS

6 posts, read 61,170 times
Default Santa Fe Relocation?

My sister and I are considering moving to Santa Fe. Can anyone give us a little wisdom concerning this option? We live in Salem OR (which is not where either one of us visions spending the rest of our lives). I'm considering Santa Fe or Boise ID---leaning toward Santa Fe because I fell in love with the desert there years ago---and I like what Boise is accomplishing with their downtown and film industry---but not sure they are there yet with diversity! I love the arts in Santa Fe--but do they have theatre productions(opera etc.)? We're neither one seeking employment so that doesn't play into the equation.

Appreciate any info anyone has to toss our way.

thanks
dss

Old 10-08-2007, 06:57 PM

150 posts, read 791,976 times
Default Santa Fe Opera & Performing Arts

The Santa Fe Opera has become one of America's premier performance centers. Located a few miles north of the "City Different," this beautiful facility presents productions "under the stars," for the dual-enjoyment of it's guests. The Santa Fe Opera * Santa Fe, New Mexico 2008 Season

Live theater, and diverse performing arts are also abundant throughout the year. SantaFe.com - theater in santa fe (http://www.santafe.com/arts/theater.html - broken link)

New Mexico, is fast becoming one of the largest movie production areas outside of Southern California. Albuquerque, within five years will be home to four motion picture production studios. The decline in the American dollar, especially as it relates to the Canadian dollar, is making it much more attractive to film in the varied landscapes of the "Land of Enchantment," than in Canada.

UNM in Albuquerque, also has a very strong Performing Arts Department.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times
Albuquerque Studios is actually the largest studio facility outside of Southern California. New Mexico has also been noted as the most aggressive state for Movies the last few years or so. We have had some pretty big features filmed here lately (The Longest Yard, Employee of The Month, 410 to Yuma, etc.) I would even say Albuquerque is far better than Boise.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:36 PM

93 posts, read 473,246 times
I live in ABQ, used to live in Boise, and spend a lot of time in SF....You are right Boise is lacking the diversity- one of the main reasons why we had to escape. But, if you live in a certain neighborhood there you have easy access to downtown and the foothills, which in my opinion is an amazing combo that is hard to come by. You can find that too in SF, but you'll pay a ton more for it. Feel free to message me if I can answer other Boise vs ABQ questions!

Old 11-10-2007, 07:24 AM

41 posts, read 175,463 times
Default Moving to Santa Fe...30 days!!!

Hello All!!
I'm moving from the East Coast, and can't wait to get out to Santa Fe!
The only problem is I don't have a job lined up!
I will be a college graduate with a degree in Criminology and Law and I have no idea what I want to do with it..I DON'T want to be a police officer..nothing against them it's just not for me!
I'm going to go to law school OR Grad school not sure which one but I want to take some time off to get situated.
I have looked through a few websites for job postings but really nothing.
Does anyone have any suggestions or websites that list jobs?
Thanks for any help!

Last edited by nicky1097; 11-10-2007 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe