Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 12,861 times

Advertisements

This is my second question on my newly created account on this website!... Your advice is really important to me and I will truly consider your thoughts! Thank you in advance!......

Here's the story: I am (most likely) to relocate during latter September/early October to Santa Fe...or Taos.

I'm sure that people relocate to this area all the time for lots of reasons.... Weather/climate are the least important issues for me. I have the resources to live in an upscale rental until I purchase...but sensible enough not to be flamboyant of going say over $1700 month.

The Move is scheduled for latter September/early October.
In fact, although I have not been to this area, my family spent much time here decades ago so I have many poignant family stories that are also a positive influence for this decision!

So! To those of you In The Know...what are your opinions?!

Please! What areas are safe....or NOT??........even though by statistics Santa Fe is supposedly one of the safest areas in the US?!

Are there tourist/newcomer rip-offs bad enough to mention here????......frankly, Santa Fe and Taos seem pretty tame and terrific to me so far from all I have read!

Please...a favorite, unusual locals' favorite for a restaurant in the vicinity?

Can you recommend HOW TO FIND the ideal rental house-condo with sensible landlord or mgmt company?

Does one first refer to Craigslist? Local newspaper? Other site?

Thanks for any and all advice!!!

Last edited by SensibleDownToEarth; 06-15-2011 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 06:53 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,071,478 times
Craigslist seems to have the most rental listings, if your cross reference against Google Street View you'll be able to get a good idea for the area. Santa fe and Taos are very different from each other, I suggest you visit both and see which is a better fit. Personally I found Taos frustrating to live in, but great to visit. I love the conveniences of Santa fe, but my house is just outside of town so it's quiet.

Both are safe, for the most part, no real rip offs, just respect and even embrace the local culture and you'll be fine.

Local joints, my views are a little off what others may say but... My favorite restaurant in Santa fe to grab a bite at is Cleopatra's, it's greek, gyros, falafal, hummus, so un-New Mexican but I crave it. Burt's Burger Bowl for Green Chili Burgers, Real Food Nation for the Lamb Burger and killer ice cream. In Taos, Michaels or Dragonfly for breakfast and Outback Pizza for well, pizza.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 AM

10 posts, read 29,468 times
Craigslist does seems the most site used to find rentals. My friend has found all her rental houses through Craigslist, but like everything else, be careful and cautious.

Restaurants, there as many of them specializing in all types of food and all so good! One of the favorites that is always packed is Tomacita's but native Santa Feans usually go to Artisco which is smaller and not as noisy. This restaurant is owned by the same family as Tomacita's so the food is exactly the same. After a rough day, you can't beat a margarita at Maria's. All of the above restaurants specialize in New Mexican food and hopefully you will be like everyone else who moves here and develops a taste and craving for New Mexico chile.

Santa Fe is pretty safe, but like anywhere else you just have to be aware of your surroundings.

I like what the other poster mentioned about respecting and embracing the local culture. Being a native Santa Fean there is nothing more irritating than someone moving to Santa Fe and berrating the culture here that has been embedded in this community for centuries and made this city so special.

Best of luck on your move!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 12,861 times
Default Thanks for the tips!

Thanks very much for the tips....

I have placed another question on this forum about neighborhoods and rental pricing....

My family actually lived in Santa Fe and Taos during the 30s and 40s...so the memories are poignant and I have a deep and loving respect for the culture through them. Also, with my work being in the arts, I believe that embracing Santa Fe will be much like returning to an old friend somehow. However, we'll see how it works out!

Thanks much....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe