Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 PM

363 posts, read 1,121,924 times

Advertisements

My wife and I find Santa Fe to be quite charming and recently visited the city in early April. We arrived on a Monday afternoon and spent the night in a downtown area motel, had a terrific and reasonable priced dinner (Dinner for 2) and enjoyed browsing among the shops, museums, etc. on Monday evening and Tuesday morning. The merchants and workers we encountered were all very hospitable. I had some brief business with the state lands office to complete on Tuesday morning, and found their staff to be quite friendly and helpful. So our visit to this beautiful, historic city was generally very positive and enjoyable.

However, we were surprised at the number of "panhandlers" (unsure if they're actually "homeless") and the frequency with which we were approached for handouts in the "Plaza" area-4 times in 45 minutes on Monday evening. Some were more aggressive than others. We're not naive, and have encountered (and helped) needy folks before, in many different communities. But we did not recall this during a previous visit in 2007, though that visit was at the height of the tourist season.

Is this a new condition for downtown Santa Fe? Is it merely a sign of the overall national economic conditions, or more localized in scope and perhaps due to mild climate, a sypathetic local government, merchants and citizens, tourists, etc.? Maybe a little of both, and the limited tourist "targets" due to off-season?

Oh, and please; I'm not trying to bash Santa Fe, offend, be judgemental, nor generate any type of political banter here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 12:56 PM

888 posts, read 1,188,109 times
New Mexico.....even in "good" times.....is a poor state.
I've been approached for money, darn near everywhere.
One guy was at least honest about it, and wanted $2 for a six-pack of beer.

Steve

Old 04-14-2011, 01:20 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
New begging rules in effect
Julie Ann Grimm, The New Mexican
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010

Santa Fe police today have new authority to cite and arrest aggressive panhandlers. Two weeks ago, city councilors adopted an ordinance to regulate street begging. Although the rules technically went into effect today, Deputy Police Chief Abram Anaya said officers have already been spreading the word about what's legal and what could cause panhandlers to end up in court or in jail.
The entire article: New begging rules in effect - The Santa Fe New Mexican

We don't go up that often, but have never really noticed panhandlers.

"Panhandling has previously been treated as a public nuisance in Santa Fe, something legal experts say is unconstitutional. The American Civil Liberties Union recently criticized Santa Fe's attempts at drawing up new regulations" ABQNews: Panhandling in Santa Fe Now Allowed But With Some Restrictions (http://www.abqjournal.com/abqnews/abqnewseeker-mainmenu-39/25738-panhandling-in-santa-fe-now-allowed-but-with-some-restrictions.html#ixzz1JWjyWI9C - broken link)

Rich

Old 04-14-2011, 01:38 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,405,441 times
Typically I walk thru without stopping on my lunchbreak and it does look like there are more homeless hanging out down there than there use to be in past years. Maybe it is because the city passed a law that they cannot approach people at certain places like at ATM machines, bus stops, and street intersections. The plaza is one spot people would be sitting on benches where they could legally ask them for money. Yesterday I sat at the monument for 15 minutes with a friend who plays music around the plaza and we were approached. He gets tired of it so avoids sitting on the plaza unless he is playing. They don't approach him when he's working. Occasionally I'll get asked for money other places but it's rare.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:31 PM

30 posts, read 101,333 times
The best solution for panhandlers is to ask them for money, before they ask you. Works quite well!

Last edited by WEisMD; 04-14-2011 at 06:41 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 03:52 AM

293 posts, read 972,229 times
Yup - there are tons of panhandlers in and around Santa Fe. I've lived in many places in the US and have never seen a larger concentration of people asking for money. The Plaza is especially bad, but so are the major road intersections. Last year I counted five people at different stoplights on my way home... and then realized I only pass six stoplights. My personal least favorite spot to get hit up for money is in store parking lots. It never ceases to freak me out when some guy ambles up to the side of my car when I'm putting groceries in at Albertsons or Trader Joes and asks if I could help with bus fare.

I have noticed that on the Plaza and a few other touristy places, if you look like a local you will not be approached (or at least, far less often). On days that I amble through, obviously taking in the atmosphere, I'll get asked for money. But if I'm walking briskly or have my little kids with me, I usually don't get stopped. That said, if you're a middle aged couple walking around in comfortable shoes, no matter where you're from, I think you're an immediate target.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:05 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,178,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEisMD View Post
The best solution for panhandlers is to ask them for money, before they ask you. Works quite well!
My stock answer - to panhandlers and to those asking for "donations" at store entrances - is: Do you take credit cards? Works for me every time!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:27 AM

5,056 posts, read 7,442,606 times
Wow, I can't count the number of times I've hung out in the Plaza over the last couple of decades and I have never been approached by a panhandler. One guy I thought was going to ask for money just gave me a brochure about Orthodox Judaism. Am I scaring them off? In Albuquerque I seem to be a panhandler magnet. Maybe the Santa Fe panhandlers have better taste and pass me over for the obvious wealthy tourists.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:39 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynanthus View Post
Yup - there are tons of panhandlers in and around Santa Fe. I've lived in many places in the US and have never seen a larger concentration of people asking for money.
I have to disagree, my experiences have been different...

Rich

Old 04-16-2011, 03:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,894,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
My stock answer - to panhandlers and to those asking for "donations" at store entrances - is: Do you take credit cards? Works for me every time!
And what are you going to do one day when one of them answers, "Yes, I do.." and has his hand out for your card?!?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe