Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 07:56 AM

8 posts, read 27,405 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are still searching for the perfect place to move (we considered New Orleans for awhile, but decided against it for many reasons...) anyway, we are now looking into northern California. This is what we want:

Good Public Schools (we have two small children)
Liberal People with lots of education (preferably a high percentage of people in their 30s or 40s with kids-like us)
Lots of things to do in the community where we can include our kids
We love being outside (ie hiking, biking, running), so access to beautiful places is important
Money is not really an issue- though we are very far from being high-society, so I do not think we would fit in somewhere really hoity-toity
Relatively stress free living- for example, I am very interested in Public School for my kids because I think that Public Schools offer a more well-rounded and diverse education than private (this is certainly true of the private schools where I live now), but I don't want to live in an area where it is so overcrowded that my child may or may not get into the school we are zoned for- I know that this is an issue in New York, and I have heard that it is an issue with some areas in Northern California as well. Please- correct me if this is not the case.
Also, good public transportation or ability to walk/bike from our home to various places (like the grocery store, etc) would be a huge plus

Thank you so much in advance for your answers! Kim

Last edited by khat; 02-06-2010 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:18 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
How much do you plan to spend? The "best" places are usually the most expensive.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:57 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khat View Post
Hi, we are still searching for the perfect place to move (we considered New Orleans for awhile, but decided against it for many reasons...) anyway, we are now looking into northern California. This is what we want:

Good Public Schools (we have two small children)
Liberal People with lots of education (preferably a high percentage of people in their 30s or 40s with kids-like us)
Lots of things to do in the community where we can include our kids
We love being outside (ie hiking, biking, running), so access to beautiful places is important
Money is not really an issue- though we are very far from being high-society, so I do not think we would fit in somewhere really hoity-toity
Relatively stress free living- for example, I am very interested in Public School for my kids because I think that Public Schools offer a more well-rounded and diverse education than private (this is certainly true of the private schools where I live now), but I don't want to live in an area where it is so overcrowded that my child may or may not get into the school we are zoned for- I know that this is an issue in New York, and I have heard that it is an issue with some areas in Northern California as well. Please- correct me if this is not the case.
Also, good public transportation or ability to walk/bike from our home to various places (like the grocery store, etc) would be a huge plus

Thank you so much in advance for your answers! Kim
My first thought is that Palo Alto might work for you. However, are you really sure that money isn't an issue? You can easily spend $750K to $1,000,000 for a modest house there. Renting a modest house there could easily set you back $2500 to $3000 a month. The schools there are very good. Palo Alto has very good public schools. Although, the most common complaints about the good school districts around here are twofold: 1. Hyper competitive about grades and 2. materialism. Some also complain that Palo Alto can be superficial, nicknaming it Shallow Alto.

However:

The weather there is excellent. Plenty of opportunity for outdoor activities.

Mass transit in the entire SV area is not very good. Palo Alto no exception. There is the possibility of living in a walkable neighborhood, but don't count on it.

The whole Silicon Valley/Bay Area is somewhat stressful. It's not New York City, but the high costs, heavy traffic, and workaholic work culture at many companies make the area too stressful for many.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:39 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Perhaps Los Gatos would suit you.
A very nice town and Santa Cruz county (the coast, and all that S.C. county has to offer ... mountain biking, hiking, beach, boardwalk, surfing, etc., etc.) is just over the hill and when there is no traffic you can get there in about 20 minutes.
Los Gatos is "up-scale", very lovely, very close to San Jose and S.F. is a relatively easy commute and i imagine that the school public school system is good but i do not know for sure as i don't have children.
Los Gatos CA Official Site!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,308 times
Cupertino is very nice, though the cost of living is pretty high.

Rancho San Antonio is a good outdoorsy place.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 19,808 times
Hi Khat! You sound just like us! Still searching.... Did you find the community you're looking for?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:38 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,015 times
Try Campbell. It's a small city in in the south central portion of the SV. Rather hip, with a small downtown, nearby biking/walking trail and definitely with a sense of community. It seems to have a concentration of both 20-somethings and a wealth of 30 & 40-something professionals.

Also, I second the Los Gatos recommendation.

Get into as good a neighborhood as you can afford.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 AM

160 posts, read 454,395 times
Mountain View or Los Altos with Los Altos schools and here's why:
1) heart of high tech - lots of innovation and creativity
2) crazy liberal - not as bad as Belmont where it is illegal to smoke anywhere - but you can wear a $2000 suit or shorts and flip flops and be treated the same
3) gorgeous area with Rancho San Antonio and Skyline park just a few miles away - my favorite run is at Rancho :-)
4) Great location, mid peninsula, close to Stanford or foothill colleges, you can head up 280 to SF or down to Gilroy for the Garlic festival, or jump on 85/17 and be at the beach in 45 minutes.
5) mostly single family community - but with quaint downtown restaurants/shopping area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose