Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:10 PM

123 posts, read 232,333 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to the San Jose area in the spring from Chicago. I need advice on good areas to initially rent. Also interested in any other constructive advice or tips on experiencing a successful relocation. Also I work in the healthcare field in Occupational Therapy and would appreciate info on area hospitals, home health agencies, and nursing facilities that are good employers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:56 AM

30,958 posts, read 37,188,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RARAM2 View Post
I am considering relocating to the San Jose area in the spring from Chicago. I need advice on good areas to initially rent. Also interested in any other constructive advice or tips on experiencing a successful relocation. Also I work in the healthcare field in Occupational Therapy and would appreciate info on area hospitals, home health agencies, and nursing facilities that are good employers
Are you looking to rent a house or apartment? In general, many of the apartments here are cheaply built, cookie cutter, and overpriced. However, there are certainly exceptions to that rule.

I think it's fair to say San Jose is much safer from a crime standpoint than Chicago. That said, I would not live in East San Jose (think shopping carts, litter, concrete front yards with ugly iron fences in front, and shopping that mostly caters to Latino and Vietnamese immigrants). I would avoid zip codes 95122, 95116, 95127, and 95148.

I personally love living downtown, but I also work downtown. I wouldn't live downtown if I worked elsewhere.

Otherwise, I think it's a question of being able to find a decent place reasonably close to where you work (or at least it is for me).

Old 11-16-2009, 11:03 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,400,592 times
Hey, 95127 is also the hills, which are not bad at all.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Are you looking to rent a house or apartment? In general, many of the apartments here are cheaply built, cookie cutter, and overpriced. However, there are certainly exceptions to that rule.

I think it's fair to say San Jose is much safer from a crime standpoint than Chicago. That said, I would not live in East San Jose (think shopping carts, litter, concrete front yards with ugly iron fences in front, and shopping that mostly caters to Latino and Vietnamese immigrants). I would avoid zip codes 95122, 95116, 95127, and 95148.

I personally love living downtown, but I also work downtown. I wouldn't live downtown if I worked elsewhere.

Otherwise, I think it's a question of being able to find a decent place reasonably close to where you work (or at least it is for me).
Thanks for your response, it is greatly appreciated. I quess i'll concentrate my search efforts on a small house, unless I find one of those exceptions

Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,239,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
But that's unincorporated SanJo, so it's a challenge just getting things as simple as water and fire service. There's a reason why the land is so cheap.

As far as employers, there is a hospital in the Santa Teresa area which got bought out by Kaiser Permanente a few years back. This is a local company based in Oakland, and in my opinion, they're one of the few (only?) healthcare companies that actually have their customers in mind when they do things. All healthcare jobs are going to be stressful, but they seem to pay well and generally treat their people right. There's also another Kaiser at Lawrence/Homestead in Santa Clara.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
But that's unincorporated SanJo, so it's a challenge just getting things as simple as water and fire service. There's a reason why the land is so cheap.

As far as employers, there is a hospital in the Santa Teresa area which got bought out by Kaiser Permanente a few years back. This is a local company based in Oakland, and in my opinion, they're one of the few (only?) healthcare companies that actually have their customers in mind when they do things. All healthcare jobs are going to be stressful, but they seem to pay well and generally treat their people right. There's also another Kaiser at Lawrence/Homestead in Santa Clara.
Wow, getting some nice assistance from San Jose area people, very helpful. During a six month period in 2008 I spent time in Santa Rosa and Sacramento and noted several Kaiser Permanemte facilities, thanks for your opinion of them.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I agree it's not bad. But I don't like the adjacent neigborhoods that you often have to go through to get to other places; the nearby shopping isn't that great...not to mention the heavy traffic on the east side that you have to deal with.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I disagree with your assessment of Kaiser. I have Kaiser and feel like cattle going there. Their costs are lower than other HMOs, but their cost trajectory is still the same.....unsustainably going up at 8% or 10% a year, just like all the other health care providers.

It's more like Kaiser is the "least bad" option...at least from a customer standpoint.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:25 PM

45 posts, read 176,724 times
Hi ~ If you could afford it, check out areas to rent near Stanford. Great area!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:10 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,239,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I disagree with your assessment of Kaiser. I have Kaiser and feel like cattle going there. Their costs are lower than other HMOs, but their cost trajectory is still the same.....unsustainably going up at 8% or 10% a year, just like all the other health care providers.

It's more like Kaiser is the "least bad" option...at least from a customer standpoint.
That's the case with any of the hospitals. There's so much demand, you're lucky to even have a primary care physician. I've found the easiest way to get a checkup is to try and apply for life insurance, they do a blood test and everything for free.. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose