Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:23 AM

109 posts, read 198,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs333 View Post
I've noticed a lot of people that claim they live in cupertino, campbell whatever when they really live in San Jose.

I understand the reasoning is probably that these people want to give off the impression that they're really well off or whatever.

But when you're giving someone your address so that they can come to your house, stop insisting you live in Cupertino because when I put it in my GPS it won't show up under Cupertino or with any luck, the same street with the same street number will exist in Cupertino and I'll go to the wrong place completely.

I myself live right at the very edge of San Jose but I tell people I live in San Jose and that my address is in San Jose.
well i may not belong in this discussion but here is my opinion. We are moving to Campbell, CA but me and the wife are telling everyone (all of our friends and relatives) that we are moving to San Jose. Furthermore, unless it's quite necessary, we will be making no distinction between Campbell and San Jose. In fact, when asked specifically which part of San Jose we live in, our reply will be, "the Campbell area". Not a big deal to us. If someone is trying to find our place, we will give them adequate directions or send them a Googled map.

We are from Houston, 4th largest city with tuns of suburbs that's are actual cities, and if you ask most residents of these areas where they live, 9 times out of 10 they will reply with Houston. Most everyone is guilty of doing that and have been doing it for decades. these little small suburbian towns are spoken of as if they were neighborhoods of Houston, and IMO... no one really makes a distinction unless they are mailing a letter. And even still, if the town that the letter is addressed to is really a suburb (small town next to) and not Houston, but Houston is still written on the envelope for the city with the correct zip code of that small town address, then the letter still arrives on time with no issue. Everyone does it and mail is always delivered, no matter which city you put for the address so long as the zip code is correct. We are all guilty in these parts. It's just silly in this area to be that specific unless someone doesn't know where you live. . It's not strange here at all. It's common practice. And to add to this, if you ask someone what area they live in, they will reply with North West, South West, West Side, or East Side (as if Houston is a given)... and truthfully, their zip code is that of a small town 5 to 10 miles outside the city limits.

To be honest, I've never had an issue mapping an address even if i didn't have the exact city name
or zip code. As long as my view/focus area was in the general vicinity of the place I was trying to map to, all i had to do was type in the Street Address, and Google Maps and Google Earth would ask me "Did I mean so and so"... and it would find the place without a city name or zip code. It also works the same for street names without a numbered address. For Example: I typed in Rodeo Dr when all the state of California was visible... here is what happens.....

all you should need is a street name and the numbered address... because as along as you are viewing a general area, a good mapper should find every street name and number that matches your search

Last edited by mistachy; 11-23-2009 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 08:11 PM

860 posts, read 2,206,000 times
First time I have heard of this. I live in Cupertino but when I was stationed in the South I would usually say I'm from near San Jose or San Francisco since many folks had never heard of San Jose let alone Cupertino.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:50 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Same thing happens up here too, people say they live in Woodside, when they really live in Redwood City.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:04 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Shouldn't it be the town your junk mail is addressed to?

Old 12-20-2009, 10:23 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
many folks had never heard of San Jose
Geography not being taught in schools anymore?

(Pssst - it's the tenth largest city in the world's most powerful nation)

Maybe Dionne Warwick should make a comeback.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:00 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,354,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post

Well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
I was stationed in the South

Old 12-21-2009, 11:59 AM

860 posts, read 2,206,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post

Maybe Dionne Warwick should make a comeback.
(Pssst - perhaps San Jose ought to market itself in the Deep South)

When I did mention my proximity to San Francisco I would get the occasional frown.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Same thing happens up here too, people say they live in Woodside, when they really live in Redwood City.
Living by Woodside and Middlefield - "I live in Woodside" - LOL!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,161,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Living by Woodside and Middlefield - "I live in Woodside" - LOL!
Or living in those 50's-vintage apartments on Woodside Road

Old 02-04-2010, 04:44 PM

35 posts, read 108,418 times
Sometimes this is caused by the fact that school districts cross city lines here. For example, part of West San Jose is in the Cupertino School District. The confusion is natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose