Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,177,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannoli38 View Post
The train sounds like an interesting idea. Or I just might continue the 880 route. The uneven pavement which slowed things down close to SJ should be repaired by now so that will help a little.
I'm not in love with Alameda in particular but prefer the East Bay in general. Actually Berkeley might be where I end up which would add more to the drive to SJ. That's true about the risks of driving every day. I was rear-ended and the ******* didn't pull over. That kind of pissed me off. No damage though.
Yeah, I know someone who commutes from north Berkeley to San Jose. It's so arduous that she sleeps in her car overnight in the parking garage instead of going through the Macarthur Maze just to get to the Nasty Nimitz in the morning, and only sees her home an average of four days out of the week..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 10:57 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,861,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
only sees her home an average of four days out of the week..

Funny how so many in this country bristle when questioned whether too much of their lives is tied up in work. Is it really worth it?

(Hint: Live near where you work)

Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,177,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Funny how so many in this country bristle when questioned whether too much of their lives is tied up in work. Is it really worth it?

(Hint: Live near where you work)
I live 10 miles from my work which is on the other end of San Jose.. I would consider living as far north as Redwood City to commute via 101, but the East Bay is a different story. Even commuting in from the wrong part of Fremont could take an hour.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 752 times
Default Alameda to San Jose commute

I do the same commute as you every day. 680 IS an option despite what others say.
You need FastTrak to take advantage of the 680 HOV lane, otherwise it's not worth it.
If traffic looks bad on 880 I take the 238 cut over from 880 to 580 and then 680 down to Hostetter.
I have to get to PayPal at North 1st in San Jose. The 680 route is longer than a clear 880 commute,
But is more predictable.... About 1 hr 15mins..... And it costs more due to the HOV lane. There is no HOV
ON 680 going home, so then it is 880 or 101 to Dumbarton then 880.
A clear 880 is rare, but reduces the commute from a normal 1.5 hrs to 50 mins!
Thanks to whoever posted the train idea. I might give that a go one day.
Ps.. I use INRIX Taffic app to help me decide whether to cut across to
680 or take the gamble and stay on 880. Drive safely... DONT TEXT AND DRIVE...
and try and keep in a different lane from those idiots who do!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,377,484 times
Quote:
I live in Alameda and drive to San Jose for work. The morning drive on the 880 is pretty bad. I am looking for an alternative route.
Helicopter.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:25 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,807,233 times
Highway 61 down to San Leandro, then cutting over to 880, is probably your least worst option, but all in all, you are in for it.

Here's an old planning map for what could have been with respect to Highway 61, or what was then also known as "Legislative Route Number 258":California Road Signs and Sights: San Francisco and vicinity (1961)

Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,554,291 times
Quote:
I live in Alameda and drive to San Jose for work. The morning drive on the 880 is pretty bad. I am looking for an alternative route. How is the traffic on the 680 South in the morning? I'm considering taking the 580 East to the 680. Any good ideas would be appreciated.

thanks.
I have a co-worker who occasionally does that reverse 580 to 680 commute as you described. However he is coming from the Hills so it is a little easier to jump on 580 from there. I don't know if the commute makes that much sense. In this particular person's case I honestly think aversion to ever driving through the flatlands plays a larger role in his decision than traffic issues...

Anyway this route works OK in the morning because you are going reverse on 580 and 680 is pretty clear in this section in the morning. The problem is northbound in the PM - 680 is asymmetric with 4 lanes southbound but only 3 lanes northbound, so the afternoon commute is always a complete disaster. I live about midway between the two freeways, and when I drive I always take 680 south in the morning and 880 north in the afternoon for that reason.

I also did the Capitol Corridor from Oakland thing for about a while as well. It's very comfortable and stress free. I read a lot of novels that year . The only problem is that it only runs every hour and a half. So if I could leave the office at 4:15, I would get home at 5:40, but if something comes up and I can't wrap things up until 4:16, then I won't get home until 7:10. Kind of annoying. However it would work well if you have a very predictable schedule and/or a boss who is flexible about counting work time on the train (there is wifi - so many people start and wrap up their work days on the train it almost feels like a rolling office sometimes).

Last edited by bentobox34; 10-29-2013 at 02:32 PM..

Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,565,794 times
I have never commuted on the Capitol Corridor train, but it is my preferred way to visit my friends in Fairfield and Davis from Santa Clara. I drive to the San Jose station from here. Amtrak even gives me a free parking pass for the dates I'll be gone, and I can park in a special parking lot for free. It's more expensive than driving, but really pleasant. It always feels a bit like a vacation in and of itself, it's such a nice ride.

If that could work for the OP, it would sure be less stressful, even if it took a little longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose